Cystitis HELL

Hello!

So I used to have cystitis aaaaaalllll the time about four years ago, then it just magically disappeared. Now I've had it come back with a vengeance.

I had sex with this guy who was "really going for it", then went to the hospital the next night and they said I was passing blood, so gave me antibiotics. Then it came back again two months later, after I got very tired. Then it just sort of lingered around (not insanely painful like a full acute episode) but still enough to bother me. After another night of sex with a new person I'm seeing who was also "really going for it" I started passing blood again. So more antibiotics....then a few days later, I'm still feeling "cystitisy" and there's no blood or infection in my urine now.

SO. What do I do now? I'm changing the antibiotic I have been on to another today (just incase it helps) and I'm getting a blood test tomorrow, along with a scan (which will probably take ages to organise). I try to go to work, but I just feel "cystitisy" and terrified the really painful episodes will come back-as I commute two and a half hours to work, so I'd be stranded in pain which is truly awful

All this, added to the fact that I'm seeing someone new, who I really like and don't want them to be getting to know me while I'm ill all the time! He's understanding though and doesn't mind us not having sex for the time being, it's just.....this thing is ruining my life!

If anyone can shed some light on all this that would be fab! If not, I'll just keep on struggling to find answers.

Stop having sex for a while.

Make sure you are thoroughly cured from your bacterial cystitis before having sexual contact again, or it will not go away.

Explain to this new guy why you can't have sex. He'll understand if he really is interested in you.

Asap go to a kidney doctor (Nephrologist) and check your kidneys and your urine track from the ureter to the urethra. Passing blood with urine could be a sign of a kidney stones.

There is no such thing as a "blood infection".

Don't do any test or examinations other than those your Nephrologist recommends.

Antibiotics only work if there is a bacterial infection they will not make the blood go away. Something else is causing the bleeding and you need to find out what.

After you do all that go to a gynecologist too.

of course there is. though i don't see her mentioning that.

back to the doctor's OP. and an opportunitiy to weed out men who need to dip it only.

good luck, i hope it resolves soon.

I may have misread. But how can a person be infected by blood?

I mean many infections get passed by blood. But blood alone isn't an agent causing infection.

I feel for you. I've been in your shoes recently.

I was given about 3 courses of antibiotics. No more bacteria was showing up in the samples anymore, yet i still felt sore and uncomfortable.

I layed off the antibiotics, and just made sure to drink water only, all day every day to clean out my system and neutralise anything.

I even had thrush treatment as Antibiotics tend to bring that on after use and it helped a lot.

After some time it went away.

Occasionally if i'm a bit run down, i start getting symptoms again so i go straight back to constant water. Seems to do the trick for me.

I wish i can be of more help.

Taking antibiotics when there is no more infection will end up messing up your system and probably do more harm than good long term.

Try not to panic as the stress will make you feel worse, and lay off the rough sex for a while.

After sex, immediately pass urine to stop bacteria travelling.

I hope this helps a little.

Limiya

Yes, there is such a thing as a "blood infection," it's called sepsis where bacteria enters the bloodstream which can potentially become life threatening.

OP, Are you under the care of an OB/GYN?

No in this case the BACTERIA has entered the blood and the BACTERIA is causing the infection of the blood and the sepsis.

The blood is only the carrier of the infection from one place to the other..but the BACTERIA is the agent causing this infection of the blood stream.

I'm saying blood alone is not the causative agent. Blood is blood.

In this case this is "an infection of the blood".

If there's no infection in your urine, check that the pain and burning sensation isn't due to thrush. What can happen is that the antibiotics kill off all your good bacteria as well as the gruntbugglies, meaning that it lowers your resistance to yeast infections - which won't be picked up by a urine test.

It can be a real problem for some women; you get prescribed antibiotics for cystitis, which get rid of that OK but give you thrush. Thrush burns, so you think the cystitis has come back - more antibiotics, more thrush and so on and so forth.

There is ONE antibiotic which won't do this - nitrofurantoin - and it might be an idea to mention this next time you seek treatment. I do, on the now thankfully rare occasions I end up in a GP's surgery. Otherwise, try thrush cream/oral capsule/vaginal tablet and see if it helps. Let's hope so!

septicemia is an infection of blood. blood isn't an infectuous agent, but if it carries pathogens, the infection can spread via the blood of course. i didn't see her asking whether she got infected or transmitted the infection via blood though. i'm sleep deprived though, maybe i'm missing something it's beside the point anyway, i didn't mean to split hairs, just couldn't find her reference to it.

my concern is the claim that the problems miraculously disappeared at some point. i think whatever caused it may have receded deeper into the tissue simply, so i'd get a very thorough checkup. i'm sure they'll have a good look at things tomorrow.

septicemia is an infection of blood. blood isn't an infectuous agent, but if it carries pathogens, the infection can spread via the blood of course. i didn't see her asking whether she got infected or transmitted the infection via blood though. i'm sleep deprived though, maybe i'm missing something it's beside the point anyway, i didn't mean to split hairs, just couldn't find her reference to it.

my concern is the claim that the problems miraculously disappeared at some point. i think whatever caused it may have receded deeper into the tissue simply, so i'd get a very thorough checkup. i'm sure they'll have a good look at things tomorrow.

That's what I'm saying. We had a minor misunderstanding.

Take all the antibiotics you want it won't help uness you do a thorough check up of the kidney and the urinary track and urinary bladder.

I know this from experience. Usually blood in the urine doesn't come form a bacterial or yeast infection. It usually comes from kidney stones.

Also drink alot of fluids (especially cranberry juice) and take vitamine C it will boost your immunity.

No in this case the BACTERIA has entered the blood and the BACTERIA is causing the infection of the blood and the sepsis.

The blood is only the carrier of the infection from one place to the other..but the BACTERIA is the agent causing this infection of the blood stream.

I'm saying blood alone is not the causative agent. Blood is blood.

In this case this is "an infection of the blood".

We don't know if bacteria has entered her bloodstream. I was simply explaining that there is such a thing as a blood infection.

We don't know if bacteria has entered her bloodstream. I was simply explaining that there is such a thing as a blood infection.

So was I.

I am sure bacteria has NOT entered her bloodstream or she wouldn't be able to write or read, she would be in endotoxic shock. So no worries about this.

Regarding her condition. She just needs to do a kidney, urinary track and urinary bladder check up meaning visit a nephrologist!

urethral syndrome can be accompanied by blood in the urine, caused by bacterial and viral infections and or injury to the urethra during rough intercourse.

pelvic inflammatory disease, endometriosis and a host of other causes may be possible. this is why this forum section comes with the disclaimer you should seek your doctor's advice. persistent symptoms won't get illuminated on a forum. we're useless here, save from advising actual medical help.

if this were me, i'd be in the waiting room.

Op, with your cystitis, keep your fluids up, as you need to drain the infection from you kidneys/bladder/urethra... finish your course of antibiotics... Ural is a powder available from the chemist, which stops the burning (if you have any), cut back on caffeine, sugar and citrus. No tight jeans, go commando if you can... breathable cotton undies if you can't.

I had this from one partner, and it kept re-occurring... - wasn't until I went on a 3 week holiday with him and he only took 3 pairs of jocks - and I noticed his lack of "hygiene"! Lightbulb moment!... (He repulsed me after that, I had to end the relationship) - not saying that your new man is like this! - but just saying... never had it since, and don't want it....

Poor sausage, I hope you feel better soon...

Really?

]

I know what sepsis is.

I already explained what I meant by that sentence in the above comments. Read them then you'll know what I meant when I said it.

I didn't say it right. I meant blood itself cannot be a causative agent of an infection.

I meant there is no such thing as an "infecion caused by blood"

I was trying to tell her to go investigate where this blood is coming from and that cystitis might not be the only cause of her condition.

3 pairs? wow. One per week. At that point, how do you even decide it's time to change...

I was flabbergasted! ... I don't know... I asked him everyday if he had laundry as the thought made me want to hurl... (may I add he was a grown man too 43 yrs old!)

Hey guys! Your replies have really cheered me up, it's so nice to be taken seriously. I really appreciate it. Especially as I've just had the blood test and am feeling a bit low today about it all.

So many doctors I've had just tell me "drink cranberry juice" or "take antibiotics again" but this taking over my life and it's not going away.

I have never even heard of a kidney doctor. I will look into that. I'm waiting to hear when I will have a scan, which I believe will shed a lot of light on things as I've never had one.

I have been using condoms this whole time so not sure it will be a cleanliness thing? And no it's not a latex allergy-I did some research into what kinds I have been using over the last couple years with my ex and they are latex too, and I never had cystitis with him for our three year relationship! And it a pretty stressful one,so I have no idea what causes it. My only guess is the sex I've been having the times I got ill was rougher than usual. The blood has gone now though the doctors say, although it did seem to come back after the aforementioned sex. Hopefully I'll find out what it is soon I want to go back to work.

Regarding the new guy, I would hope he'll stick around while I'm ill. I just hate being an invalid it makes me feel weak

And I shall try drinking a ton of water today and cranberry juice. I've done this before a lot, but I agree that that's usually what helps. Need to sort this out. Thanks guys

Archived