Could it be strep?

So long story short. I have severe psoriatic arthritis and was on a drug called methotrexate. But I got sick almost 9 weeks ago with a normal cold that progressed to bronchitis and got worse even on antibotics. It got so bad they were going to send me to infectious disease but thankfully the last antibotics worked, but now I have had a sore throat for over a week. It is only getting worse. Tonight it's so bad swallowing is almost impossible without tears, my neck near my thyroid and along up to my ears is so tender and stiff that it's actually killing my jaw and even my ears. I can't even stick my tongue out fully because even the back of that burns and hurts. I have emailed my doctor and will be call first thing tomorrow AM. But I was just curious if anyone thinks that is strep? I had it a lot as a child and my teens but never in my life have I had throat issues this severe. I do have a low grade fever. I just was hoping this would clear up so I don't need more antibotics because I was on them a lot this year while hospitalized with a massive infection in my hand. I guess I am posting to see if anyone has had similar issues and it not be strep.

methotrexate is an immunosuppresant. it helps calm the inflammatory response hence they prescribed it for your p.a. , but it prevents your immune system from fighting intruders effectively.

i don't know whether you have strep from the description, but when you're at the doc's tomorrow ask about your suppressed immune system. lay off immunosuppresants if possible.

if you were on a fairly high dosage and quite a long time, expect cold after flu after cold after flu this winter

They actually pulled me off methotrexate about 3 weeks ago due to the fear of me getting even worse on it. My tonsils are huge and red. I had mono before when I was 14, is it even possible to catch it 2 times? All I know is I am starting to get muscle aches and my darn neck is so stiff. I'm going to ask if there is anything we can do to help boost my immune system back up.

Thank you. I am wondering since I haven't technically recovered if I am going to be sent to infectious disease now regarding this. I just have this feeling they are going to hospitalize me until they get whatever is going on better. I know 3 weeks ago my WBC was pretty high and my CRP jumped up to almost 15.

high wbc and crp usually indicate an infection is bacterial, although crp would likely be higher than 15 in that case.

in case your crp shows up over 40 now they might want to hospitalize you nevertheless, but hopefully it's just a persistent upper respiratory tract infection and you'll just get more antibiotics. 15 is quite high, but not urgent, and not that uncommon in rheumatoid pts.

fingers crossed, my guess is you'll just have to put up with more ABs and take extra care for a while.

Archived