Need help understanding insurance/medicare

Hi, OK so about ten years ago i was placed on medicare SSDI. I worked part time and recieved a disability check due to mental illness.

At the time i was using drugs but since have been clean and sober for over 6 years and the symptoms of my mental illness went away.

I came to the conclusion that my disability check and working part time was not enough to live the lifestyle i wanted to i began to work a great full time paying job.

I kept sending in my paystubs to social security and telling them to stop my medicare and disability payments but they kept coming.

I ended up getting a letter in the mail saying they are finally canceling my disability payments and i owe them 30,000$ for overpayment. That's not my main concern though... I'll worry about they seperatly

At the time i was covered by health insurance through my company. I have since been seperated from the company and have been working a considerably less paying full time job that does not offer health insurance.

I tired to enroll in the health insurance the state offers but they said i am not eligible because I'm enrolled in medicare.

So i called medicare and they told me I'm enrolled in part a (may be wrong about the parts here lol) which would cover hospitalization but I'm no longer covered under the part that covers doctor visits prescriptions etc. I had asked them to take me off it so i can enroll in state insurance but they told me their is financial consequences such as i may have to repay for all the years i was on it.

I don't know what to do or where to begin. I need coverage for doctor visits and prescriptions

Once you work full time your disability can be canceled. You should not have cashed the checks that came after the day you started working full time. You need supplemental health insurance that works with medicare not instead of medicare.

Since ssi/ssd as well as work is all your ss number it catches up with you. Get a lawyer. The government is not light and fluffy about collecting the money it is owed.

They will move to garnish your wages or simply suck it out of your bank accounts if you don't get a lawyer to help you work out a repayment plan. Get ahead of this. Cashing the checks is their proof, not that you wrote letters or sent pay stubs.

I ended up getting a letter in the mail saying they are finally canceling my disability payments and i owe them 30,000$ for overpayment. I'm enrolled in medicare. So i called medicare and they told me I'm enrolled in part a

This is indeed a legal matter. I had a friend who was legally blind and something similar happened to him. Get a lawyer who specializes in this sort of thing. It will save you a ton of headache.

Check and see if there is an Ombudsman or other advocacy organizations in your area that can help you as well. Otherwise you may just have to work out a repayment plan to pay back what you owe. That's what my friend did and he hired a lawyer to initially get their attention and then they worked with him to sort it all out.

Archived