Night jobs to make side money for family

juanito

Hi

I was looking for suggestions on night or second jobs I can do to help support my new family. My day job is ok and I make decent money but with the addition of my new son I find we need to make a bit more to cover all of our needs and also to put money away for a rainy day. I was hoping to find good suggestions on where to look for evening or night jobs. The pay doesn't have to be amazing but decent. Any suggestions ?

I would first look at your budget. Its one thing to work a side job to save up for something, but if you are not covering your basic expenses, I would first see where things may be leaking out of your budget, whether that means cooking from scratch more vs packaged foods, not eating out as much, reducing the cable bill, etc.

There are tons of part time jobs - look in the paper - there are seasonal retail jobs, waiting tables etc.

Does your wife work? If she is home with the kids, that's fabulous. But after your son is a few months old, what about her getting a small part time job on Saturdays and a night during the week while you are home with the kids during those times? She can still breastfeed if she is doing so - you just feed him a pumped bottle at those times. It would give you one on one time with the kids also.

I wouldn't do anything that would mean you are gone from 8 am to 5 and then from 6 to after the kids are asleep. Money is one thing but missing out on them is another

Security guard, fast food, uber driver, retail holiday help, motel desk, anything where evening and late hours are available and that you are willing and able to do, preferably something easy like security guard.

I was hoping to find good suggestions on where to look for evening or night jobs.

Decent pay and flexibility are hard to come by. Warehouse and security are the two big ones I can think of for decent hourly rates overnight. Overnights are challenge enough on their own to adjust to, let alone when you've got a day job on top of it. Make sure you take care of yourself because you could risk your primary source of income due to performance drops.

I might forego the overnights and look into picking up a few second shift hours in a retail / service job. Probably not the pay you're going for, but it'd swing you ~$150 extra a week doing it part time.

Another idea is office cleaning. After hours but not all night shifts either. More like late evening.

I used to rent an office in mid size building and just a couple of guys had cut a deal with the owner to clean the offices several times per week. Good money and they are doing it on the side only. They have regular day jobs. It's also pretty easy work. They said it only takes them a couple of hours total per evening. Or you can apply to an established cleaning company and do it as part of the crew.

Archived