Need communication advice for my girlfriend and I

TisRob

Hello, i hope you all are doing well today. My girlfriend and I have been together for about 3 years. I love this woman very much, and we actually have a great relationship. We are even planning on getting married soon. Sorry for the long message.

But there is one big problem that I see in our relationship, and thats the communication between us and by that, I mean we argue about many things. But when we argue about any subject it is generally the same reason. She is a girl who likes to argue or express her opinions and interests in almost every single subject thrown at her, she is a passionate girl, that she is. One characteristic about her is that she is a stubborn girl, I will admit that I am stubborn too, but only when it comes to things I am certain about or if its a passion of mine. But she was raised by a man who is very closed minded, who is a terrible father, who had high expectations of her and that her body must always be fit. He has this insane obsession that his family needs to consist of "beautiful people". He is also very set in his ways, and he is the only person who is right. When he is approached by anyone in his family or by his children about a problem, he only takes offense to it and blames the opposer. She has inherited this mindset from him and she even knows it.

The thing is... is that I have no where to turn to. I am not the best with words and it is difficult for me to express how I feel. I have a form of dyslexia where I struggle in the language side of communication, and have done my best to learn and battle the dyslexia. Approaching her and expressing to her how I feel is something im afraid to do because of this inherited mindset she has. I have noticed over the passed year that I am naturally beginning to doubt every thought, every opinion, every idea, every decision I have to concede to hers. I don't mind in general, but at the same time I do. It is beginning to harm my self confidence in my own thoughts. (for example, we had a stupid argument about coke and pepsi. While she was talking, she was referring to coke but she accidentally said pepsi. I replied and said "you mean coke?" and she replied "Thats what I said" and I said "No, you said Pepsi" and even that became an argument and to this day, she still doesn't believe she said that. we all know we have brain farts, she believed it never happened. Yet when that happeneds to me, I just simply say "Oh, maybe I had a brain fart". Its a dumb argument, but its an example) But when it comes to things I myself am passionate about is where I feel worse. Such as my career paths and hobbies, she also argues with me about those things. To be truthful, I don't think she is very capable of having uncertainty in anything. When I have no knowledge about something I generally agree with her. When she is expressing an opinion to me I listen and provide my own to the conversation. But I am getting to the point where I feel differently when those roles are switched. It isn't often but she does agree with me about basic stuff. But I feel that is only if my thoughts are directly in line with hers. I understand there is difference in opinions, and I am fine with that. But i feel like anything that comes out of my mouth is never accurate or correct.

But one of the biggest fights we would have, is when I was making important decisions for my business. They were all never easy decisions, but I feel one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made was telling her about it. But isn't that what couples do? We ask how work was? We want input from them? When it came to me talking to her about my business, the decisions I would make and wanting to make my employees happy. She almost always would argue with me about it and it became a fight. My business was in the video game business at the time and she would argue about even the technical side of my career. The things I have learned and spent years learning, holding a passion for it, gaining experience in it. These are the things people go to college and get degrees for. Her perception is what mattered to her the most, despite what experience or knowledge I have. This is where I feel hurt the most. Its as if a random person walked into a wedding fashion designer's business and started telling the fashion designer what to do, this person not having any experience in that field and not having any respect for that person and their expertise. No matter what it would be, a general conversation or something I hold a lot of passion for, she would still argue. Despite me having the knowledge. I feel like I am always trying to defend myself when I talk to her about my passions and my conflicts and decisions. No matter what value my expertise holds in any field, she is still right at the end of any fight or conversation. I almost always concede because of the emotional exhaustion of the argument no matter the subject, and it really leaves a sore in my heart that this happens. We all have things go on in our life, and all that we want is someone on our side, a lot of the times I don't think she is on mine. My mind and confidence in my own ideals revolve around hers and im just not sure what to do anymore.

I wanted to sit down with her and express to her how this is beginning to make me feel and to make it a serious conversation. I haven't done that in a while but I am hoping I can get through to her that her always arguing with me is beginning to affect my confidence in my passions and my career, and that my support system is pretty much her only. I don't have anyone else really. What do I do? Am I just completely in the wrong? I want to maintain what is important to her, its just I am beginning to feel a heavy heart because my thoughts don't hold much value.

It has something that has been in the back of my mind. I really don't want to give up on us. But I know that if it continues I am not sure how bad it is going to get. I only want good things to come out of this because I really do love her. But at the same time if she can't understand how I feel and is unable to understand it, what can I do?

First and foremost, you're not going to win an argument with a woman.... that's in the dating/relationship brochure. State your main point but also be willing to listen, accept constructive criticism and then let the war of words dissolve.

If you think it's bad now, wait until you get married and have to co-exist as a team to get things done.

It's one thing to disagree (normal) but if she's putting you down, demoralizing you, talking down to you or not giving you a voice in the relationship then you need to ask yourself if you want to continue to be with someone like that.

Archived