Good idea / Bad idea - Opinions

trickykid

So I have just received an interview for a job, my first one in years, maybe since 2002. I have held a job from 2002 - 2009, then left that job to become self employed. Recently I have become tired being self employed, so decided I wanted a regular job with regular pay.

So anyway lately I have been applying for jobs that I think would suit me or for the money I think I am worth, so today I got confirmation for an interview.

So here is the thing.

I kind of lied a bit, there was a question...Do you have any convictions, I said no. I actually do, when I was 19 / 20 I was caught with some extasy and was subsequently charged with sale and supply of drugs.

And here is my thinking behind the lie, firstly it was almost 20 years ago, I have carried that with me for long enough, I havnt been in trouble, not even a parking ticket since that night I was caught. that night changed my life completely, I havnt taken any kind of drug or drink, except a bit of weed, since that night.

And the fact that I believe that I shouldnt be punished over and over again for the same thing 20 years on from when it happened, so therefore I refuse to be constantly reminded of it and I certainly wont be punished by a job for the one mistake I made.

So anyway good idea, bad idea.

Im not sure. But I dont think they can find out if I have a conviction or not. In some places I have been contracted too, I have to fill in forms which the employer has to send away to the police in order to get clearance, those places were working with under 18's, community organisations etc.

The company I work for does background checks.

However, one of my coworkers disclosed to me that not only does he have a criminal record, but he served time in prison. Twice. And this is a company whose name you'd immediately recognize.

It really depends a lot on the kind of work. When I worked in construction they couldn't possibly exclude those with criminal records. The companies were realistic and realized they'd cut their work force by a large amount if they didn't hire people with criminal records. Of course, it did depend on the crime.

Will you be working with children? Be able to access banking information? Have access to any sensitive information? The type of work would determine how closely they scrutinize your background.

I have thought of that alright, but I do know new laws are being brought in or already in that lets you have a conviction quashed after so many years, depending on the seriouness obviously. Thats my next step, as even the police have looked into me and dont view it as serious, considering the timeframe involved.

The company I work for does background checks.

However, one of my coworkers disclosed to me that not only does he have a criminal record, but he served time in prison. Twice. And this is a company whose name you'd immediately recognize.

It really depends a lot on the kind of work. When I worked in construction they couldn't possibly exclude those with criminal records. The companies were realistic and realized they'd cut their work force by a large amount if they didn't hire people with criminal records. Of course, it did depend on the crime.

Will you be working with children? Be able to access banking information? Have access to any sensitive information? The type of work would determine how closely they scrutinize your background.

I have worked with children in the past, I had to disclose that information at the time, I currently lecture part time and am contracted to a community organisation at the minute, its never been an issue with those places.

The job is a digital designer so it wouldnt really involve much more than sitting at a computer designing, so cant really see why they would want that information in the first place

My brother has a very important and prestigious position with a major corporation. And he had a DUI in his late teens.

So, as long as there's been nothing since then I would think you'd be fine.

I would, however, give up the weed. Most companies drug test these days.

Also, the lie. You may think it's of no consequence or it's none of their business, but they may think otherwise.

I'd have just left it blank and answered honestly if they asked.

If they will be performing a background check, it will come up. I used to run background checks for contractors in my old job, one guy had a conviction on his record but it wasn't related to the job and it was over 20 years ago, so we accepted him regardless.

The only thing though, is that he didn't lie about having a conviction (he didn't not lie, he just didn't tell us). Since you did say you don't have a conviction on record, it'll look bad that you have one regardless, since it proves that you lied.

I wonder would it be better to cancel the interview and just go about having the conviction removed from the record and then start looking for jobs again. Or just use the interview as a way of getting some interview experience.

Its a pain in the ass, I did something 20 years ago, paid for it then, changed my life but still paying for it now

I wonder would it be better to cancel the interview and just go about having the conviction removed from the record and then start looking for jobs again. Or just use the interview as a way of getting some interview experience.

Its a pain in the ass, I did something 20 years ago, paid for it then, changed my life but still paying for it now

And that's why people always tell young kids to think before they act.

We all told my cousin not to get his girlfriend's name tattooed on his arm, but he did. Three girlfriends and two wives later...there it is.

Unfortunately, the mature you is dealing with what the immature you chose to do long ago. Maybe it doesn't seem "fair", but that's the way it is with some employers. After all, they don't know you and don't know whether or not your judgment has improved since then. Some peoples' hasn't. Such as my ex's sister, who is in her 50s and STILL doesn't work and spends her days scrounging for money to buy drugs and freeloading off her elderly parents.

I guess you can only hope that they see who you are now.

And that's why people always tell young kids to think before they act.

We all told my cousin not to get his girlfriend's name tattooed on his arm, but he did. Three girlfriends and two wives later...there it is.

Unfortunately, the mature you is dealing with what the immature you chose to do long ago. Maybe it doesn't seem "fair", but that's the way it is with some employers. After all, they don't know you and don't know whether or not your judgment has improved since then. Some peoples' hasn't. Such as my ex's sister, who is in her 50s and STILL doesn't work and spends her days scrounging for money to buy drugs and freeloading off her elderly parents.

I guess you can only hope that they see who you are now.

Thats it, I dont know how many times I was told that growing up, but of course I knew better or thought it wouldnt happen to me. And it is going to cause problems because when my CV / Resume hits the desk of whoever looks at it, they are going to straight away consider me because of job history, experience and a load of other factors that make me a candidate for jobs, then I have this hanging over me.

First off, definitely look into getting that expunged. No guarantee of it as states greatly differ in whether you're eligible to do so.

I'd let them know upfront and go to the interview. Everyone was young and dumb and it doesn't sound like you hurt anyone, so I could see them looking past a conviction 20 years ago.

Well happy days, I just did a quick check on Google. Apparently a law came in, in April of this year that a conviction can be quashed / expunged after 7 years. And furthermore, I am not required by law to reveal a conviction for employment, except when working with under-age children or vulnerable adults.

So tomorrow will start looking into it getting quashed.

Are you uk darling ...

haven't read other posts so this may have been said ...

We have rules here in the uk that give each convicted crime a time period before it is spent , the rehabilitation of offenders act is there as cover for all sides and to make it so crimes are spent and you don't have to confess it as it where .

]

Im living in Ireland, so the laws would be kind of similar. Just had a look at the link there, its kind of the same here now.

So at least now its some piece of mind

Im living in Ireland, so the laws would be kind of similar. Just had a look at the link there, its kind of the same here now.

So at least now its some piece of mind

ahh yeah , we will be the same ...I had to look into all this for someone a few years ago which is why I knew about the rehabilitation of offenders act. Really glad you are covered and don't have to drag this around with you anymore . Best wishes with the interview .

Bad idea. You can be fired from a job at any time for lying on your application. So even if you pass interviews and get a job offer, you'll be living with a ticking time bomb that can get you called into HR for a firing at any time.

I'd skip that. If there's a way to clear your record, I'd seek legal aid or hire a lawyer to get that done. Otherwise, I'd answer 'yes' on the conviction question, and on the line below it, I'd put 'Age 19', and whatever the charge was. Then you can interview with a clear conscience and only answer questions about it if it's raised in the interview.

Many companies receive incentives to hire a certain number of 'rehabilitated' people, and so a past conviction is not necessarily the application killer you might believe. You may want to consider broadening and deepening your criteria for jobs you'd be willing to apply for, and also consider working through temp agencies to get into good companies from which you can apply for better jobs from within. Many companies hire new people that way, because they get to 'try before they buy' and test whether people fit their 'soft skill' needs before dealing with them as a payroll addition.

When I was between jobs, I applied at temp agencies, 1 each morning, 3 or 4 per week. They don't all place with the same places, so I'd start with the agency closest to you and work a radius outward. It's a time investment, as there are loads of paper work and application testing with each, but this is the only way to get on their 'active' rosters for placement. Sending them a resume will get you nothing but an invitation to go in and apply. Most will tell you they don't have anything at the moment--which doesn't mean anything. Good agencies won't have jobs lying around waiting for people, they fill those with people who are already on their active rosters.

Temping would give you the opportunity to form relationships inside companies, which can help you bypass any biases about a mark on paper.

Head high.

Do not cancel the interview. However, imo you are not still paying for that you did 20 years ago. It will cost you most likely if they discovered that you lied. The lie is most likely the issue more than what happened in the past.

Archived