Third Interview: What to expect and prepare?

tallydoo

Hello!

I'm desperate to get out of my current job; I've managed to land a third and final interview for a dream job with a company that I think will be a good fit. This is my first time making it to this level of a multi-round interview process. The CEO will have participated in all of my interviews--even did the phone screen--and even though I'm not the most technically qualified for the position it seems like they're interested in teaching and I'm definitely interested in learning. From my perspective, the first interview was to decide if they wanted to move forward, and the second was to determine technical competence and team fit; as it was explained to me, the third is to introduce me to the project lead and talk about the content rather than the skills.

What should I prepare to ask and to answer? I have my whole weekend blocked for studying.

I've got an interview next week as well! Hope we both get offers

Here's some advice that might be helpful for us both:

1) Talk positively about your current job, co-workers and boss. Focus on the good things, not the struggles.

2) Discuss how you've helped your team succeed, not just how awesome you are as an individual.

3) Share examples of times when you've taken a new job or been given a new assignment and were able to come up to speed quickly.

4) Don't let any of your desperation show in the interview.

5) Research the company's business model and come prepared with questions about growth prospects, company culture and expectations. Explain how you will contribute to the company's mission as a member of their team.

58% of an employee's job performance can be attributed to "soft" factors like getting along with others, communicating effectively and being pleasant to be around. Do your best to relax during the interview and let a bit of your best natural self come out. They've already interviewed you for skills, and now they are interviewing you for fit. As a hiring manager I often ask myself if I'd want to spend 4 hours on an airplane with the candidate I'm interviewing. If the answer is no, I often won't hire that person--even if they have the right skills and experience.

Find a good balance between talking and listening. Depending on the role you are applying for, they may be looking for a good listener. If you're applying for a sales or management job, however, it may be okay to control the conversation a bit (especially if they are looking for a "go-getter" who shows initiative and drives projects to the finish line).

Best of luck!

Archived