It all back fires...

So, I've worked graveyards for the last three years. I've also worked every weekend for the last three years. I've recently become content with being forever single. Some new shifts were posted so I signed up for them. They go by seniority. I've been the senior person to sign up for three different shifts. I didn't get a single one. When I approached my boss he says that those that got them have families that they want to spend time with. That made me even more pissed off that I'm single. Just because I don't have a family, I have to suffer? I don't care about these guys with families. I care about my own life. My days off are Monday and Tuesday. What the hell is there to do on a Monday and Tuesday night. And even when I am invited out by my coupled up friends, I can't go because I have to have a 30 day notice to request time off. Which is counted against me when I want a different shift. I have personal days I could use but they count that against me too. Why does it have to be that way. Why do I have to have a family to get a decent shift. A few years ago I would have let it slide and have karma reward me but since I no longer believe in karma, I'm not letting it go.

Agree with the others, this is just them being a##es and using it as an excuse. Start putting out your resume, use those days off to job hunt elsewhere. When you have something lined up nicely tell them that the schedule no longer fits your needs and you are moving on. Then when they try to ask you back, or tell you they'll change, because that's what usually happens when a place run by idiots realizes they're losing a really good worker you smile and tell them no.

And then you thank them graciously for allowing you to build your resume and you go. It will hurt far more if you're just oh so nice and regretful, but refuse to listen to any fake promises and do not allow them to bully you into staying on to "train" anyone while they try to scotch your chances with the other job. Oh, and unless it's in your contract you don't usually have to give 2 weeks notice, that's a courtsey. So if someone offers you a far better deal and you've checked the company out and they're legit with a good work history (do your research ahead of time) you take it.

That is just the biggest crock in the universe. They could divvy the shifts up, so it would be equal for everyone and as someone with seniority they should be working with you. If they aren't it's time to find another job, but don't quit until you have one lined up.

Archived