Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

3 facebook rants

bumblebeehive

So i used to use facebook during college and posted pictures and such. Over time, use it less and less - even had it deactivated for quite a while. now i signed back up because i am new in town and it seemed like everyone was posting events on there, and it just helped to be on facebook for the purpose of socializing. Other than finding a decent profile picture, i've only been using it to browse. However, i never intend to go on there and look at other people's posts. I just get consumed and i end up wasting way more time than anticipated. And then i stop to think about it and think, "why did i just spend 10 minutes looking at [former classmate in elementary school]'s vacation photos? I will never get those 10 minutes back and i'm never going see that person ever again anyways...] it's just so easy to get sucked in like that. so that's my first gripe.

the second thing is people who post a lot on facebook. there's one coworker who added me on facebook, who posts, it seems, on average 4 separate times a day (in addition to her comments and liking things). it just makes me think, some people are just glued to facebook. It just seems so self-important. like she thinks everybody cares what she ate for breakfast, or that she got a hair cut. Who gives a crap. I sort of want to unfriend her but i can't because i'm new at the job and if she noticed (she might not even notice but if she did...). I don't even like the girl though and in person, she doesn't seem to like me. So i figure she probably adds everyone she's ever met and then shares every mundane thing that happens in her life, that she thinks is so important that she just had to stop what she was doing, and post it on facebook. She's not the only person like that, but i feel the same way about the other people who do that. The other prolific facebook user i am "friends" with (but haven't spoken to in 9 years) went to a play today - she posted that she was going to go to the play, and then she posted during the intermission, saying how great the play was. that's what made me want to write this post. Like she can't just like, do something else during the intermission? like, she couldn't wait to get right back on facebook in the middle of the play?!

the next thing about facebook is that if i did want to share something, you have to either share it with everyone you're friends with (including people from your past you don't talk to anymore) OR you have to weed out and select who would get to see and who cannot, which probably would take FOREVER if you have accumulated a lot of friends over the years. At the end of the day i end up just not posting anything. If i'm close enough friends with someone, i can just send them a photo directly, i don't need to post it for all to see. And I don't need to post my thoughts for all to see.

ok so that's my little rant. I realize that i've been starting to log into facebook now that i reactivated it, but i think i am just going to log in once per week. maybe i will deactivate my account again. i too easily get sucked in.

The irony here is this post sounds a lot like self-importance in the form of boasting about not feeling self-important.

I joined facebook 10+ years back when you needed a college email address to have a profile. It was actually pretty boring then. I'll post occasionally, but I don't do a whole lot. Namely just keep up with new photos my family posts. It's so ridiculously easy to hide content / posts you don't want to see (assuming it's not easy enough for you to just keep scrolling) that I've never understood why people get so upset with it. Even back when Farmville posts were a plague, I could sift through just fine.

And the fact of the matter is it's a voluntary medium. If it's to the point it's a chore to log on and you're setting quotas for activity, maybe just delete it for good. I've got plenty of friends who have.

The irony here is this post sounds a lot like self-importance in the form of boasting about not feeling self-important.

I joined facebook 10+ years back when you needed a college email address to have a profile. It was actually pretty boring then. I'll post occasionally, but I don't do a whole lot. Namely just keep up with new photos my family posts. It's so ridiculously easy to hide content / posts you don't want to see (assuming it's not easy enough for you to just keep scrolling) that I've never understood why people get so upset with it. Even back when Farmville posts were a plague, I could sift through just fine.

And the fact of the matter is it's a voluntary medium. If it's to the point it's a chore to log on and you're setting quotas for activity, maybe just delete it for good. I've got plenty of friends who have.

haha, well i agree it does come off self-important to complain about it, but i just needed to get it off my chest. I assumed i'd get told it's sort of hypocritical or whatever. but i am posting it here, anonymously, not on facebook, which would be ironic... anyways, part of it is that i am mad at myself for wasting time on there and reading all these posts. also to clarify, i wasn't keeping a quota, i just noticed that i was seeing a lot from this one person and so i looked at her page and counted. part of it is to reaffirm to myself how stupid facebook is.

it was boring and is still boring but i find it addictive. i was deactivated for a long time so i might just do that again. but i really hate that i need it for social events...like my friend's upcoming potluck get together she made it a facebook event and did this poll thing where you sign up for what you want to bring. if it wasn't for things like that i'd deactivate. I think i am just going to stay logged out as much as i can. i just keep getting the stupid notifications all the time in my email.

You can stay friends but unfollow them. That is what I do. In 9 years I have posted a handful of times - birth of our child, when he started preschool, our photo in the newspaper and I added my new job to my timeline about a month ago. I comment regularly and am part of a number of relevant FB groups. I love it for being in contact with people from my hometown where I lived for the first 43 years of my life, seeing how certain friends and family members are doing, and being in the loop on what is going on in my city and neighborhood. I agree that the people who post a lot come across as self-important. I do not post photos of my (of course incredibly adorable) child because I am afraid of the risks and don't want to brag. Others have sometimes posted photos and if possible I have them removed or at least untagged. When I was job hunting at least two of my interviews came through friends on Facebook who likely would not have contacted me had I not been on FB and so easy to contact.

You do realize blaming Facebook because YOU find it "addictive" is kind of like someone blaming McDonald's or KFC for "making" them overweight.

You can just log off.

And you can set the email settings so you don't receive email notifications. I never receive any because I deactivated them.

don't get me wrong, it's not ALL bad. And yes the addictive part is all on me. glad some people find it addictive too and it is not just me. instagram is better in the sense that the content is more limited. i don't find instagram that addictive.

another thing i thought about with facebook is getting over and moving on from old relationships. I know lots of people who stay friends on facebook with an ex. I tried that, and I just could not resist looking at his profile constantly. when you unfollow someone it doesn't cut off your access to them. i remember i stayed friends with a guy i still liked and it was agonizing. the fact that i had all this information at my fingertips and access to his life. i liked it, in an unhealthy, not wanting to move on sort of way, but i also hated it. so i eventually unfriended him. I read an article that suggested never adding a guy you are just seeing or that you like... and unfriending him was the best decision i ever made with respect to that guy. i was able to move on SUPER quick because i couldn't stalk him. lol

I was lucky because I started dating my husband before I had a Facebook account (he has one but it's really just a placeholder -he only logs in if I tell him that we got some kind of message or photo he might want to see) so I didn't have to go through that. I do have exes on Facebook and I am friends with one of the ones I was serious with. We each got married in the same year - and we both married men so it's all good.

I spend a huge amount of time on facebook but post very little, usually post my work related stuff, projects, videos, images etc. I spend more time on facebook in the comments sections, usually of news. I end up getting involved in ridiculous arguments over the things your not supposed too like politics, religion, sport and just random stuff, I really enjoy it though.

But I know what you mean about pother peoples posts about their lives etc, the thing about facebook that annoys me the most are the endless selfies, thats when I use the unfriend or unfollow, I can only tolerate so much looking at people in the same pose over and over and over.

I actually find most of the posts amusing.

One of my friends posts cleavage selfies with a caption talking about being humble before the Lord. Apparently humility before God involves showing the internet folks your rack. LOL!!!

Anyway, all of your complaints about Facebook can be solved by logging off.

I have a love/hate relationship with FB. I love it because I find out about a lot of upcoming events. I can just click interested and the even gets synchronized with my calendar. I love the groups and communities. I'm a photographer, there's some amazing photo groups. For all my hobbies and passions there are some great groups.

What drives me crazy is the 'friend' crap. Especially friends who are always posting quotes. Most of them are just crap. They post them all the time. They just feel they have to share all the wonderful wisdom. This is the number one reason I unfollow friends. Then there's the 'my life is so effen wonderful' posts. Look at me, I'm doing this wonderful thing, and I have such wonderful and amazing friends. Wouldn't you like to be like me? Unfollow. Then there's the happy couples. All the selfies. Look at what a wonderful couple we are. We are so in love, we are so happy. In case you don't get it, let us post some more of us. We are amazing, we do amazing things. I had a friend posing with a celebrity once. A celebrity I like. I commented on it. She said what a great time she had. Then the boyfriend commented on what a wonderful time he had, and then they chimed in together what a great evening they had, blah blah blah. Unfollow. The funny thing is they are the worst couple I know. He's constantly cheating, she's miserable and acts like she hates him. But boy oh boy their Facebook relationship is just awesome.

Oh and please post when you check into an airport. I can't wait to see where you're going next world traveler. And every time there's a big sporting event happening everyone on Facebook all of a sudden is a GD sportscaster. Giving their play by play and commentary. Making sure everyone knows the score. And then when a celebrity dies you get the speeches and heart felt BS, as if they were personal friends with the celebrity.

And stop with the drama baiting. "Oh that was the worse day of my life". "Some people just want to play games". "Some big changes coming soon". SORRY, not going to bite. Unfollow, unfollow, and maybe an unfriend or two is you do drama and post those excruciating, mind numbing quotes. And for crying out loud, it doesn't take a lot of talent to drink alcohol. Why is that something to be proud of?? Look at you drunk at the pub, what an effin hero. Nobody has ever done that before.

And that's how you do a rant......

I must live in a different world. Group updates for community issues, local road conditions, family, hobbies and interests. Images of activities of my nieces and nephews and grands. Natural disasters affecting friends and loved ones. Beautiful views of the natural world in different parts of the country, and world. Art, topics of interests…weather forecasts, local events, local law enforcement concerns, regional events. I don't see cleavages or brags or drama. Anyone who over posts about their special cause or rants or games or challenges (let's see who reads this, copy and paste this), it's easy to just turn off notifications from them for a bit. I get a lot of actual information off of FB, or at least a head's up and I then get more information elsewhere.

I have a love/hate relationship with FB. I love it because I find out about a lot of upcoming events. I can just click interested and the even gets synchronized with my calendar. I love the groups and communities. I'm a photographer, there's some amazing photo groups. For all my hobbies and passions there are some great groups.

What drives me crazy is the 'friend' crap. Especially friends who are always posting quotes. Most of them are just crap. They post them all the time. They just feel they have to share all the wonderful wisdom. This is the number one reason I unfollow friends. Then there's the 'my life is so effen wonderful' posts. Look at me, I'm doing this wonderful thing, and I have such wonderful and amazing friends. Wouldn't you like to be like me? Unfollow. Then there's the happy couples. All the selfies. Look at what a wonderful couple we are. We are so in love, we are so happy. In case you don't get it, let us post some more of us. We are amazing, we do amazing things. I had a friend posing with a celebrity once. A celebrity I like. I commented on it. She said what a great time she had. Then the boyfriend commented on what a wonderful time he had, and then they chimed in together what a great evening they had, blah blah blah. Unfollow. The funny thing is they are the worst couple I know. He's constantly cheating, she's miserable and acts like she hates him. But boy oh boy their Facebook relationship is just awesome.

Oh and please post when you check into an airport. I can't wait to see where you're going next world traveler. And every time there's a big sporting event happening everyone on Facebook all of a sudden is a GD sportscaster. Giving their play by play and commentary. Making sure everyone knows the score. And then when a celebrity dies you get the speeches and heart felt BS, as if they were personal friends with the celebrity.

And stop with the drama baiting. "Oh that was the worse day of my life". "Some people just want to play games". "Some big changes coming soon". SORRY, not going to bite. Unfollow, unfollow, and maybe an unfriend or two is you do drama and post those excruciating, mind numbing quotes. And for crying out loud, it doesn't take a lot of talent to drink alcohol. Why is that something to be proud of?? Look at you drunk at the pub, what an effin hero. Nobody has ever done that before.

And that's how you do a rant......

I wish I could rep this.

I must live in a different world. Group updates for community issues, local road conditions, family, hobbies and interests. Images of activities of my nieces and nephews and grands. Natural disasters affecting friends and loved ones. Beautiful views of the natural world in different parts of the country, and world. Art, topics of interests…weather forecasts, local events, local law enforcement concerns, regional events. I don't see cleavages or brags or drama. Anyone who over posts about their special cause or rants or games or challenges (let's see who reads this, copy and paste this), it's easy to just turn off notifications from them for a bit. I get a lot of actual information off of FB, or at least a head's up and I then get more information elsewhere.

Same here.

I've done a few things to minimise posts that annoy me:

1. Cleaned up a couple of times to delete people I no longer keep in touch and likely won't ever cross path again, or just don't see the point of keeping on there.

2. Unfollow (but not unfriend) people who regularly post things that annoy me.

3. If I do want to post something privately, I'll select the few people I want to see it or exclude people I don't want to see it. I have 144 friends on Facebook, it's not that hard to filter if need be.

I too find most of the posts on my feed entertaining or informative rather than annoying. I do follow the rail network Facebook so they keep me informed about outages and delays, weather updates, local police Facebook, restaurant / bar / cafe / whatever's new and happening in town, photos of people I'm interested in seeing (having unfollowed or unfriended people I'm not interested in seeing), of course there's always the cute animal photos and videos, the list goes on.

It's all about how you use it really.

I have a significant amount of that and a bit too much of what Sportster posted including the "I'll post this 'complaint' about my kids as an excuse to brag".

Unfollow is a beautiful thing.

If someone rants to must, posts too much, I just unfollow.

I do have to admit that the political nonsense has been driving me nuts.

also I don't do negativity. I try to keep it positive, not to make it look

like my life is awesome, but I just don't like a huge amount of negative

things being posted.

Oh yes, I love funny kitty videos. And Journeynow, there is a lot to love. You've mentioned some. You also reminded me off the 'copy and paste'. Or 'Can we get a thousand likes for x'. Which is mildly annoying and harmless. But when people blindly post things that are scams or harmful medical advice, it gets dangerous. The irony is they obviously have access to Google and Snopes.

But FB and social media are modern day facts of life. At the end of the day I would be lost without FB. I really find it useful and mostly enjoyable.

Then there's the people collectors. Seriously you have 4000 friends. Needy much?

Archived