is this okay?

kdh13

For a while now my dad has been a rather agressive play fighter. He'll do things like hit me with remotes or punch my leg till it begins to bruise. He is also a big alcoholic and when he's drunk he becomes more 'playful' and begins hitting me more. I don't know if this should be considered okay or not. Am i overreacting? Please tell me what you think.

I forgot to mention that i always tell him to stop but he continues to do it anyway because he enjoys it.

This is not okay because it hurts you, and when play fighting becomes hurtful it has gone too far. Also, it is not okay because he is ignoring your requests to stop. It is your body, and your voice. You have final authority over who gets to touch your body in any way. Your voice is important, keep using it.

If telling him to stop is not effective, then use your voice a different way, perhaps by telling someone else who can help you.

i totally understand where your concern is with this, but play fighting like that is usually between siblings, and it typically ends with one of you getting hurt and telling your mom or dad. You father should not be doing that, that is considered child abuse (if you are younger) and is something you should go to someone older to talk about. this is very serious because eventually he may hit you way to hard or in the wrong place and it could cause serious damage, and if he has been drinking when he does this he may not be able to respond to get you help. I am in no way saying that it will happen or if it did he wouldn't help you, but if he is in a poor state he may not mentally be able to realize what is happening.

Archived