Open Club  ·  88 members  ·  Free

Off Topic

Your boy is ready for winter

j.man

Jesus, I hate NYC. I swear living in Mexico City felt cleaner than this. As hard as it is for me to say, it just ain't worth the $1 pizza slices. One more year until the sugar mama is done with her residency and we venture elsewhere.

It's the school year, so I'm contracting 60+ hours a week, and unfortunately it doesn't leave me much time to go out and enjoy things, so I said **** it and dropped about $400 on comfy ass lounging gear and "accessories." New slippers, "micro modal" pants and tops, a couple nice whisky glasses and a few select bottles of "the good stuff" (plus a few bulk bottles to tide me over in between, of course).

Needless to say, I've got the upcoming winter on lock. But I might need some help holding me over 'til July. I rarely make big purchases and live pretty frugally, but I've decided I'm treating myself for the rest of my time here. Give me some ideas. What are some purely luxury things / services you treat yourself with?

I'm a native Northeasterner at heart (not NYC...ick, not my thing). Absolutely love the winter/snow/etc. I am looking forward to skiing (x country and downhill) and snowshoeing this year since last year, we didn't get as much snow - it was a mild winter. Yuck. But then again, I was born here so I get why it's not for everyone but there is something humanizing about such cold for a quarter of the year.

Okay but anyway...winter purchases/delights. I spent my recent overtime pay splurging on some winter tires so I feel pretty "set". I always have a shovel/ice scraper in my car. That's a must. Get those "hand warmers" for your hands. Gloves that allow you to use your smartphone. A super thick scarf. As for indoors, slippers are a must. You are right to get "the good stuff"; I always keep some spirits around (gin, vodka, etc.) for mixing purposes. Electric blanket (good for the Miss too if she gets period cramps). Universal remote. Skyrim remastered for Ps4 is coming out soon so you bet I'm going to pick that up so that will certainly help during the winter. A slow cooker. You can get some nicely seasoning apple cider in there too, even add some alcohol if you so wish. Bluetooth speakers or an iHome dock is a must. Music makes everything better and I always have some playing in the background.

I know of a local ramen place that sells huge bowls of pork ramen for like...$10. Totally worth braving the cold/snow once in a while. Homemade chili, soup, and curry. Scotch eggs, baked in the oven.

Nothing makes me appreciate my life a bit more than barreling down an unplowed road in a low gear while listening to System of a Down or old school Linkin Park.

Enjoy the season while it lasts!

Books. Real books, not those electronic tablet reader thingys. I just can't cuddle up to a piece of electronics.

How about ordering a season of a TV show you like? Something that makes you think or makes you laugh, whatever you're in to.

And you already have your cat, right?

I live in Canada and I hate the fact that we have winter for like, 8 months a year. I splurge on bathtime accessories. Fancy bath bombs and bubble baths, nice, big, fluffy 100% cotton bath towels, and really nice Terry cloth bath robe. I'm currently knitting thrummed slippers (Google it, actually you could prob buy something similar, they are warm and cozy)

In the winter I have a bath everyday (I realize that is prob horribly wasteful) my utilities are included in my rent andso I tend not to worry about conservation. I'm sure this will change when I have to pay for my own heat and water use.

Also, good books (also for reading in the bath). I like big, meaty books for winter, like LOTR, Gormenghast etc. This winter I might tackle Proust.

I have an electric fuzzy throw blanket.

I get giddy just thinking of snuggling up on the couch with it, dialing up the heat and binge watching movies.

One of cats just as excited and crawls underneath with me. I have to check on her because I am afraid I might cook a cat.

One year I passed them out for as Christmas gifts.

Get one now. They sell out fast.

Candles. Good ones. On the bathtub gunwales (?). Everywhere.

A fake freestanding fireplace if you've room for it (I don't understand why this is possible, technically, but they swear it vents clean. ??).

Ridiculously good dark green tea and local farm honey to mix with bourbon.

A breadmaker. I mean, does anyone eat bread anymore? I don't know. It smells amazing.

Homemade hot chocolate mix (and homemade baileys- so decadent)...I prefer a hot water bottle over heating blankets (because I forget to turn them off and it gets way too hot)...a good quality down duvet (and I get it dry cleaner ever spring)....fleece sheets (just put them on my bed yesterday for the first time this season)....and every winter I buy a handmade knit toque or two to add to the collection. I also love winter because I get to bake again...in the summer turning on the oven is unadvisable...so when the leaves start falling off the trees, I love making a few loaves of sour dough a week....and homemade muffins and chocolate chip cookies. I love cold weather

My all time favourite winter luxury item is just as simple as...stocking up on wood for our fireplace. It's not needed for heat....but a real fire is just so nice. The warm glow of a cracking fire as snow is falling outside...that's the best!...we turn off all the lights and watch it burn until it's down to embers.

Candles. Good ones. On the bathtub gunwales (?). Everywhere.

A fake freestanding fireplace if you've room for it (I don't understand why this is possible, technically, but they swear it vents clean. ??).

Ridiculously good dark green tea and local farm honey to mix with bourbon.

A breadmaker. I mean, does anyone eat bread anymore? I don't know. It smells amazing.

Ha, great minds. Fireplaces and bread lol

Homemade hot chocolate mix (and homemade baileys- so decadent)...I prefer a hot water bottle over heating blankets (because I forget to turn them off and it gets way too hot)...a good quality down duvet (and I get it dry cleaner ever spring)....fleece sheets (just put them on my bed yesterday for the first time this season)....and every winter I buy a handmade knit toque or two to add to the collection. I also love winter because I get to bake again...in the summer turning on the oven is unadvisable...so when the leaves start falling off the trees, I love making a few loaves of sour dough a week....and homemade muffins and chocolate chip cookies. I love cold weather

My all time favourite winter luxury item is just as simple as...stocking up on wood for our fireplace. It's not needed for heat....but a real fire is just so nice. The warm glow of a cracking fire as snow is falling outside...that's the best!...we turn off all the lights and watch it burn until it's down to embers.

Yes yes yes!!! I used to burn wood every night from October to march.

Funny our posts were on time with one another too. Great minds indeed!

Heated. Car. Seats.

My first car was an old VW Bug, without any heat. My current car has great heat, heated seats, rear defroster, mirror defroster….and it makes a world of difference.

Warm boots that are roomy so your feet can wiggle easily, warm mittens (also roomy, and not gloves), a warm and comfortable hat, Smartwool long underwear and socks.

Handwarmers and toewarmers.

I forgot to mention fleece bed sheets..so soft, so warm

And wool socks. My Grammy knits gorgeous socks for me every year for my Bday (which is in December so the timing works out well) I wear them everyday, even to bed. You can buy wool socks, I've seen them at outdoorsy type stores, and if you go to craft shops or crafts sales you can prob find hand knit ones. Or on something like etsy.com.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived