So many events asking us to "chip in" for

stella m

We have a decent size department (about 25) where there's a good number of events going on in my team members' lives. One of our managers likes to coordinate things to celebrate/send well wishes. Over the past 5 months we had 2 new mothers, 1 new father in our department and there where multiple department things for each: office baby shower, office lunch, office gift card. A couple of weddings collecting money for an office wedding gift. Recently we had a string of team members leave for new jobs and she coordinated lunches for all of them... either going out to lunch or asking everyone to chip in for lunch delivered to the office. Now our department director is having a baby and she's asking us to chip in for both a gift card and ice cream cake presented on different days. I wouldn't be surprised if she asks us to pitch in for a lunch when he takes off for paternity leave.

Granted, the amount she wants us to pitch in isn't that much: usually around $5-$7. Is it bad that I'm getting annoyed at the frequency? The sentiment is nice, but in all honesty if I had a life event like these, for the sake of my co-workers, I wouldn't want them getting me anything. Last week a long standing manager left. He very generously surprised the department with a catered lunch. I know him well and he whispered to me that wanted to "strike first" before she coordinated another lunch. I think he wanted to relieve all the rest of us the pressure. Even then, she tried to arrange that we chip in money to pay him back. He firmly insisted "no".

Again, please feel free to let me know if you think I'm being cheap or selfish (be gentle!). Otherwise, any suggestions if or how I should bring this up?

Sounds a bit excessive to me. I would also be curious to know what your colleagues think, too? Maybe they think the same, but like you aren't sure whether to say anything. Would it be worth sending a round Robin email suggesting that maybe you could just jointly chip in for some cakes and a chilled out afternoon?! I wouldn't like all the fuss, anyway.

Sounds excessive and it sounds like you aren't the only one who is feeling it. However, it's a situation where it's difficult to say anything without coming across like a grumpy scrooge. Also, I'm a bit surprised that she keeps asking for money from everyone. Doesn't the company have some budget for this stuff? Things like going away lunches, cakes for baby showers, b-days, etc, usually the company has petty cash for that stuff and will pick that up. I've never seen a place where employees are paying for everything you've listed.

Are you sure she isn't so incredibly keen because she is pocketing your cash while putting it on the company card?

Archived