Being repetitive even if it's asking how her day was

steindgs21

How do I stop being so repetitive when talking to my girlfriend? She gets annoyed even when I repeat things like "I love you" "how did you sleep" "I'm so proud of you" and "hope you sleep well and hope you're having a great day" how can I not say the same things over and over again and have better conversations?

while it sounds a little excessive for her to be so easily annoyed, i also can't mentalize what her position might be from this little info. it could be anything from bratiness to low self esteem and thus her corollary belief that kind phrases aren't genuine.

but this is my immediate reaction- i have found that when my relationships proved to not be as emotionally satisfactory or genuine, that they were basically emotionally empty, repetition (in form of stereotypical phrases as well, very often in fact) was a sort of ritualistic behavior that was to cover up for the emotional void. sharing ritual, repetitive elements was a smoke screen if you will, so neither had to face we shared nothing any more emotionally.

How do I stop being so repetitive when talking to my girlfriend? She gets annoyed even when I repeat things like "I love you" "how did you sleep" "I'm so proud of you" and "hope you sleep well and hope you're having a great day" how can I not say the same things over and over again and have better conversations?

Is it the case that you don't talk about much else? I don't know how old you both are but maybe she is looking for some more stimulating conversation, I sometimes get bored of the same text messages saying I love you, how's your day etc. Instead of saying 'hope you're having a great day', try to ask something more specific. For example, if she has a meeting or something say 'how was your meeting?'. Strike up conversations about what's going on in the world, plenty of that to talk about right now...

Not enough information really......

Based on what you wrote, if that is all you say, then it's not a conversation. Just a bunch of shallow comments and if she is upset, I'm going to assume that she is getting fed up with these hollow comments and would like some substance to actually talk about.

Try asking for specific questions instead. Like instead of saying how was your day, ask what project she is working on at work (or whatever applies to her job/school). What do you two have in common, what interests/hobbies do you or her have? Do you or does she have any passions? When you ask to be informed about something someone cares about, they'll talk a ton and love it and all you have to do is sit back and just listen. Doesn't even have to be anything fancy. Just a show they might be totally into, or a celebrity they like to follow, etc. Simple stuff, but ask about things like that to get them talking.

I don't think you're being boring at all. That's really sweet of you. Your gf doesn't sound very appreciative of you.

But I have to agree with the other posters, ask more specific questions. For example, instead of just asking "how was your day?" Ask "hey honey, hope you had a great day. Did anything interesting happen?" Or something like that.

Ask what she's working on in school/work. Ask about common interests you two have.

She gets annoyed even when I repeat things like "I love you" "how did you sleep" "I'm so proud of you"

Stop. The first thing to do is ASK HER if she's annoyed at you. Don't continue to think about this -- and all of us responders should also wait -- until we find out whether your girlfriend is or isn't annoyed, and if so, why exactly. Ask her whether your asking these questions annoys her and please report back.

Archived