New coworker talks too much - any advice?

gp11a

I have a new coworker (I was one of his interviewers, even) who just talks too much... He sits in the cube in front of me and constantly turns around to talk to me about non-work or work stuff, sometimes he just stands up, turns around, and then looks like he is trying to think of something to say to me (even if I look frantically busy or have a phone headset on). He sometimes asks what I'm doing or comments on stuff on my desk. Most mornings when I come to work, I sit down and just stare up... because I know he is going to stand up and start talking to me... because acting like I'm busy doesn't work. I've even said, "hey, I just sat down, man..." and he didn't get the hint (he'll just be sarcastic and say "REALLY?")... So, then I started saying, "hey, can I talk to you later... ?" He tells me everything he is doing all the time, and while we are teammates, we work on entirely different things.

Anybody have any similar experiences? My manager has been told by many people that this guy is distracting, I've mentioned it as a concern to him, he is driving people up the wall with how much he talks... He just moved here from Canada, so, I'm not sure if he is catching onto social norms here. He is also highly offensive at times, trying to make jokes that you would only make if you have known people forever... when he's just been here for about a month.

Help! I'm all for being friendly and talking, but geez. How do you tell a teammate to stop talking so much? Before I end up punching him or something.

I had a coworker that talked alot and needed soooo much attention.

I started ignoring him daily.

He started talking to himself since he was not talking to me, haha.

Eventually I got pleasure from watching him do this.

To the point he stopped talking since I wasnt listening and would get stressed out on his desk and start moving around, moving his legs, playing with pencils or just acting as if he was stuck somewhere, like it was torture and I enjoyed every second of his misery in our new wonderful silence.

First thing Monday morning I'd give him a list of the only things he's allowed to interrupt me for. For anything falling outside that list he'll need to find another resource or work out himself. I'd tell him that we can have lunch together 2 times this week, and during those times we can discuss anything he wants, but during work hours, I'm here to get my work done, and I'd suggest that he do the same.

If he hangs himself with complaints from anyone else from there, that will be unfortunate, but it will be his problem and isn't your responsibility to resolve for him.

Head high.

My manager has been told by many people that this guy is distracting, I've mentioned it as a concern to him, he is driving people up the wall with how much he talks... He just moved here from Canada, so, I'm not sure if he is catching onto social norms here. He is also highly offensive at times, trying to make jokes that you would only make if you have known people forever... when he's just been here for about a month.

)

If your boss has had that many complaints then surely he should be doing something about it?

Maybe this guy is just trying to make new friends? I dunno - it must be hard if he's moved from another country and doesn't know anyone? Is there no way that anyone (other than your boss) can just have a quiet word with him about just giving his voice box a break every now and again? It would be a shame for no-one to say anything to the guy and then have someone explode in his face - that's going to help no-one. Someone needs to say something to him and if you're the one person who latches onto then maybe it could be you?

Maybe he's just nervous? Maybe he does have verbal diarrhoea but maybe he just wants to make friends? Annoying as it is, everyone is different and everyone has different boundaries and approaches.

Time to start being busy and blowing him off. When he comes by, get engrossed in whatever you're doing. If he tries to interrupt or wait to talk to you, ask him if it's important because you're very very busy and don't have time for chit chat.

Repest ad nauseum and do not stop. I wouldn't bother your manager about this unless he turns hostile. It's a minor problem that can be fixed with some good old social cues and blowing off.

I think it's simply time to be direct and say "I don't have time to chat now because I have work to do - if I get my work done I may have some time later and I'll let you know, ok? I know you understand how it is at work"

I like this approach. I was going to say something different, but I think this is better.

My manager has been told by many people that this guy is distracting, I've mentioned it as a concern to him, he is driving people up the wall with how much he talks...

What did the manager say? Is he doing anything about it? He needs to sort this out - if not, he's a lousy manager (imo).

It sounds like he's got poor people skills and is making lame attempts to fit in or be liked or make friends, ironically having the opposite effect. Your approach and what you've said to him so far seem like good ways to handle it.

Is there any duct tape in the storage room?

...when he's just been here for about a month

]

Archived