Not where I wanted to be

Well my birthday is tomorrow, but I'm just so down about it, I have nothing in life that I thought I would, and I've worked and made so much money but made horrible decisions, so now I'm about to be 27 and nothing to my name but 6200 bucks, because I sold the only thing worth anything that I ever owned which is my car, I drive my bf's truck around until we get another one, I'm really not looking forward to this day tomorrow, I already want to cry, how could I let this happen I worked so freaking hard, how did I not notice my money slipping away, my bf is the only reason I have anything a place to stay and just everything, which makes me feel even worse because we are the same age and he has done way more with his life. He owns his house has a nice truck and his is just together, where the he'll did I go wrong the only difference between us is he more of and asswhole that me maybe I just gave to much

I have a friend who struggles with similar feelings. I don't believe we are meant to work and accumulate wealth and I don't think it's a good measure of your success at life. How are your relationships? Do you do things you love to do? Is there stuff you haven't done yet that you'd like to? Go and do it!!

Would you like to have a car again? Start working towards that.

I had a house. A couple of them. And a nice car. And a hot wife and two dogs and two extra bedrooms that were going to be nurseries.

Then I caught my wife cheating.

Fast forward three years, now I live in an apartment in a big city, have much less "stuff," and I've never been happier.

Find happiness in yourself, not the things you own.

I had a house. A couple of them. And a nice car. And a hot wife and two dogs and two extra bedrooms that were going to be nurseries.

Then I caught my wife cheating.

Fast forward three years, now I live in an apartment in a big city, have much less "stuff," and I've never been happier.

Find happiness in yourself, not the things you own.

Me too. Happier than ever.

Couldn't tell you holly I really couldnt
Then consult your bank statements.

Personally, I'd rather have a smaller space with all the trimmings than have more space and things to know what to do with. However, as much as I'm for downplaying materialist values, there are a couple concerns I've got.

The balance at face value isn't the issue. Plenty of people quadruple and beyond even that in the red when you factor in debt. What concerns me is it's implied you had a decent amount of money and have squandered it through means you can't seem to even identify. No harm in splurging so long as you can sustain yourself, but when you throw out "the only reason I have a place at all is because of my boyfriend," I'm not sure I'd ignore your habits. The issue isn't a lack of possessions or accomplishments. It's evaluating your habits before you potentially end up with nothing.

I'd have a far different opinion if you had $6200 to your name but have pretty much always maintained or have worked up to that amount through the years.

Unfortunately then the cycle will keep repeating unless you can sit with a banker and accountant and financial planner to discuss your earnings, savings and goals. Do not depend on bfs for financial subsistence. If it was drugs, alcohol, gambling buying stuff, whatever get to the root cause of that.

Happy bday you are young and can turn this around in a very short while when the self-pity and envy and depending on bfs ends and the discipline of future planning and goals begins.

Couldn't tell you holly I really couldnt

Archived