How do I remain strong after I broke up with my boyfriend?

purple1980

So, I just broke up with my boyfriend of two years. The relationship just didnt have a future and no foundation, I had to do what was best for me. He is crying and upset ( I know thats normal). But I feel so horrible inside when hes crying, that i just want to say "forget it lets get back together" but i know that thats a horrible idea. How do I stay strong? I hate seeing him sad

So, I just broke up with my boyfriend of two years. The relationship just didnt have a future and no foundation, I had to do what was best for me. He is crying and upset ( I know thats normal). But I feel so horrible inside when hes crying, that i just want to say "forget it lets get back together" but i know that thats a horrible idea. How do I stay strong? I hate seeing him sad

Why did you break up with him, if you dont mind me asking.

I suppose if you did this, its because its what you wanted.

Did you move out? Is that why you are still seeing him cry, etc? It sounds like you haven't broken up yet but are just talking about it and he's sad.

I feel so horrible inside when hes crying, that i just want to say "forget it lets get back together" but i know that thats a horrible idea.I hate seeing him sad
...Same guy?

Well, she did state exactly why she broke up with him, the relationship has no foundation and no future, and she's unhappy.

It doesn't sound to me like they're just talking about it and he's sad. And even if so, it's out there that she wants to break up, so naturally they are breaking up if not already broken up. So those questions are answered in the post already.

As far as how to stay strong, there's really no right way, no correct method. You have to find the will within yourself, and know that you are doing 1) what's best for you and by extension 2) what's best for him (because it's unfair for him to be in a relationship with someone who isn't feeling it) and 3) that he is a human being, he will adapt, and he will get over it in time and so will you. Yes, he's sad now. Yes, it sucks. Yes, he will probably beg. Yes, you will feel terrible and awful inside. I'm in the same situation now. I live with my ex, he isn't crying anymore but he's still begging for me to change my mind. I have no family or friends to stay with because I moved across the country to be with him 3 years ago. He treated me badly until now, and he's great now. I have weak moments where I think we should get back together but I know it's past the point of no return now.

The pain is really real. I feel worse than I would have if he were the one to break up with me. My heart is breaking into a million pieces every hour, he tells me I'm breaking his heart. I can't stand it, I try to sleep the pain away whenever he brings it up. What I am doing is living through the pain (because I feel like I should), and quietly enduring. I don't throw fits, I don't argue with him, I don't try to place blame on him or explain that I'm leaving because I feel like he treated me badly for so long. That's not relevant anymore. I'm taking responsibility for my actions and the pain I am inflicting. The only way to get through the pain and come out on the other side is to allow yourself to feel it, if you brush the pain aside it will remain part of you for a long time. If you face it and endure it now, it will come and go quicker than you think.

Good luck.

But why didn't you have a future together? There are 3 main relationship steps:

1) Everything is heating up, water is starting to boil, you both are excited, kissing, sex, everyone is happy. (usually up to 3-4 months)

2) Now comes a difficult part. Getting to know each other. Couples need to talk about things, discuss what's good for both sides. Because the man you loved is still there and he needs to remain this way! And the only way to make him remain this way is to talk to him about things in order to prevent arguments in future. If you don't do it, then in the last step one little stupid thing like not picking up your socks from the floor can ruin your relationship.

3)Freezing. If you did all the steps right now you're living in a great relationship and you and your boyfriend understand each other. As I said, If the previous steps were done wrong one stupid thing can ruin the whole relationship.

How did you explain it to him? I'm talking about the reason for breaking up.

• 2 weeks later...

I was extremely communicative with him, all throughout our relationship. I constantly would tell him what he needs to do ( see the doctor, pay his tickets, diet plans ( hes extremely overweight and smokes like a chimney), studying for his real estate test, etc... He knew he had to do all of this to have a successful future for himself and with me, but he just wasn't doing it. It was up to the point where I felt like I was taking care of him and only enabling him by staying with him

Archived