I'm too slow in my new job

I started a new job a week ago and on my second day my manager told me I was being too slow and I still am being slow, but I can't help it as I'm still new and I'm not used to a very fast paced environment. But surely she can't expect me to be perfect before I've been there two days.

Could you give a bit more information..??

What job are you doing?

Did you know what job you would be doing? ( I ask in case you're working in production)

Did they tell you their expectations of you before you started?

I'm not sure what job you work, but I have had many production jobs where speed is very important. I have also been a trainer to New employees.

In all of the jobs I've worked at such as these, accuracy is more important than speed and the speed will come with time.

You said you are new, how new? How good of an employee are you other wise, such as attendance? I've seen many new employeeswho took awhile to get up to par with speed but they were kept around because of a good attitude.

I suggest talking to your manager, ask him for advice on how to become faster, ask for some extra training. Let him know you are interested in the job and you want to be successful.

And I'm sorry I see you said you've been there two days. No she can't expect you to be up to speed that quickly however if your job is anything like mine sometimes you can just tell who can make it and who can't.

Like I said just talk to her for some tips to improve your speed, ask other Co workers to.

If you feel like it's work you aren't cut out for keep an eye out for another job

Sorry you're going through this. OP, just remember this isn't about you, but rather about the manager's style. And some managers are like that. I've had one job where I was yes fired after two days for being "too slow" as a grocer checkout (later found out they gave the job to the owner's nephew) and then at my very next job the manager was bowled away at how fast I caught on within a week's time.

So do the best you can, calm down, realize that much of this just is management style and keep going. And if it's just too stressful working with this one individual start looking to line up another job. As someone else said ask your fellow workers for tips on how to handle things or watch how they do things, try not to let her fluster you, realize that if you can last a week to two weeks you will then be an old hand at the job. And don't give up regardless.

Stay right now and see how this plays out, learn from it, move forward. It sucks, but look at this as life experience and there's just no way to get that without jumping feet first into the game to see where you land. It will be okay, you'll be okay regardless.

Virtually every productivity job I've had, I've started slow. It's just how I am and I let my trainers know (and luckily in the past have had solid references to support it). My brain doesn't work in a way that just lets me pick up on directions and gradually increase the pace to their standards. It's more a 0 to 60 thing once my brain puts all the actual mechanics together. But I've never needed or asked for more time to figure it out than any other trainee.

It's tough going from task-based work to productivity-based work and the other way around. It's why I've always had issue with the terms "skilled" and "unskilled" labor. I wouldn't beat yourself up on your second day. It's hard to tell if this is just the guy's training style or if you really should be at a better point right now. The best thing you could possibly do for yourself is stay calm. It's also a good idea to stay grounded in reality, though. Don't dismiss yourself right now, but if you notice your lack of productivity becoming a recurring topic, you may want to be proactive and start sending more resumes out ahead of time. Some people simply aren't built for productivity work, or at least not certain kinds of it. It generally doesn't involve a lot of book smarts, but it often does involve a certain mechanical mindset.

• 3 months later...
Could you give a bit more information..??

What job are you doing?

Did you know what job you would be doing? ( I ask in case you're working in production)

Did they tell you their expectations of you before you started?

Hi I was working as a retail assistant but I have now left after being bullied the whole time I was there.

Archived