I'm so worried I can't even think straight

At the end of July I asked my manager for a raise, I don't make enough for all the work I do and its really stressful. She said she actually wants to promote me to a new position that will be created for the company. Instead of a person in each office doing billing and payroll they would like one person to handle all billing and payroll out of one office for about 5 offices. She said its going to take a bit because this is a brand new position and they need to create a new job description, job title and get the system set up for how they would like it to go on the operation side. Well I have been checking in because obviously it is OCTOBER and it has not happened yet. A few weeks ago I got an update that they would actually like to split the positions up now and have one person do billing and one person do payroll. That's fine BUT she says she needs to post the jobs internally and have me put in my resume...she says she will tell me right when it will be posted so have my resume ready and everything. Fine I organized everything waiting for the job to be posted.....NOTHING....I checked on it early September and she said she is still working on it and felt bad so she gave me a bonus to show she appreciates me. Its now October and nothing. I'm so worried. I sent her an email last Monday (because she is busy and hasn't been in the office) and she hasn't replied but I know she is in. I am not going to ask any more but I just feel like crap now. Why even tell me all of this if you now are splitting the position AND now I need to apply...like I'm not going to be picked. I feel so defeated. I have been hanging in there at this company because I see my potential in moving up but now...I don't even know anymore. I'm trying to stay motivated at work but its getting harder and harder and thats why I'm now posting here. To just let it all out because I'm so frustrated and upset. Things have been terrible for the last few months and the one glimmer of hope I had was basically put right in front of me and then just taken away? Why do these things turn out like this? I just don't understand what I'm doing wrong.

I dont want to put you down or anything but it seems like she is avoiding you. I have come across bosses like this before. Instead of wanting to give you a raise, she gave you the run around and then a bonus to make things a bit sweeter and has been hiding ever since.

I had a boss who promised a co-worker a full time position, then brought in someone else, she told the guy that the job was his etc etc etc, then told him by email that he didnt get the job, then proceeded to avoid him.

Sorry to say all this, I didnt really want to but it kind of sounds like she is pulling the same trick here

I dont want to put you down or anything but it seems like she is avoiding you. I have come across bosses like this before. Instead of wanting to give you a raise, she gave you the run around and then a bonus to make things a bit sweeter and has been hiding ever since.

I got the same impression too. Unfortunately there is no sense in this and not much one can do about it, other than leave and look for another job. Sorry you're having a bad time OP.

Sometimes I really can't believe my life. It's like a big joke....thanks I guess I'll just try to go in until I find something new. I'm so embarrassed and for what? All she had to do was say no but I have to have this happen. I just don't understand things anymore in my life at all. I tried.

Since I work in personnel, I can shed some light on as to why they ask you to apply for the position. You will have to submit your resume along with other applicants during the posting period....due to the affirmative action process. Everyone should have an opportunity to apply, even though you will be the one selected for the position in the end. I have seen that happen on numerous occasions.

Creating a position description, requires a lot of input from several people. And especially if your manager is busy, the period might be even lengthier.

It appears as if they really want you to have the position and everything seems bona fide. I would check back in a month or so and ask for an update.

Good luck!

Since I work in personnel, I can shed some light on as to why they ask you to apply for the position. You will have to submit your resume along with other applicants during the posting period....due to the affirmative action process. Everyone should have an opportunity to apply, even though you will be the one selected for the position in the end. I have seen that happen on numerous occasions.

Creating a position description, requires a lot of input from several people. And especially if your manager is busy, the period might be even lengthier.

It appears as if they really want you to have the position and everything seems bona fide. I would check back in a month or so and ask for an update.

Good luck!

I agree with Cristal, please don't be so hard on yourself.

Ask your manager directly, be strong. Like, "have management approved the restructure of the position, and do you have any indication as to how long it could take", don't whinge (not that you would) have a firm clear voice, don't show you feel unworthy..

It takes time for management to work out feasibility of these restructures. I don't think they would have bothered with a bonus if they didn't think you were worthy.

Hang in there

• 3 weeks later...

Okay you guys. I'm getting bitter.....I know that she said its just taking awhile but for some reason I'm getting really really bitter. I know why I'm getting bitter...I saw that everyone makes more than me and I'm disgusted. I read that sometimes when new people are hired they get more pay off the bat but I have been here 5 years. I know that if I get this new position I will be happy but I'm so bitter right now I can't even express to you. smh I can't say HOW i know everyone makes more than me I just know and all I can do is just shake my head. smh.

Archived