Working another department

December123

JUST TO CLARIFY I would continue to work in my current department, our hotel DOES allow working in multiple departments.

I currently work in a hotel restaurant , I want to do au pairing and you are required to have childcare experience, so I desperately need to work in the childcare department.

What should I say to them when I enquir into working there?

Should I tell them about the au pairing?

What should I wear when I go there to ask them? I was thinking just smart clothes but a friend said something about wearing my current uniform but I think that would look like I didn't make an effort.

My supervisor is the husband of the manager there, how can I use that to my best advantage? What could I say to him?

I'm kinda worried about my boss finding out?

Thanks

So you want to work in the childcare department to get experience, at their expense, so you can leave and get another job elsewhere? Hmm.... I wouldn't recommend telling them what you're plans are either. You could ask them and they may say yes.... or they may question you as to why you want to do it. Just be sure to come up with an answer that doesn't imply you're planning to leave once you've got the experience you need..... just my opinion!

Take some sort of course on child care or certificate program . No one will hire you without something like that . Babysit on the side, get some experience a normal way. What kind of child care work is in the hotel?

I want to do au pairing and you are required to have childcare experience, so I desperately need to work in the childcare department.

Well, seeing as you're trying to use this as a stepping stone to leave the hotel and become an au pair, I would not mention the au pairing. Employers aren't too keen on hiring people who plan to leave. I would also wear sharp clothes, bring a hard copy of your resume on nice paper. You should probably get some experience with children (babysitting?) first though, they won't hire you without child care experience either.

As for the supervisors, you haven't talked to your current supervisor about this? And she's the wife of the supervisor you want to work for? Not good. The only way to use that to your advantage is if your current supervisor knows and is okay with this, especially if you will be splitting your time between two departments instead of working full hours in one.

It's a pretty shady move and I don't think that the child care department in a hotel would hire someone without experience anyway so I would get experience elsewhere if you could. Education is key.

Archived