Therapy

angrythoughts

I went to therapy today due to a recent break up and other issues that have come to surface after having lost my boyfriend...

The therapy session didn't do anything for me. It's my first time ever going and it was for 45 minutes. Has anyone seen a therapist for anything and felt somewhat better after one session? Or do I have to continuously go in order to have some sort of revelation?

Should I switch therapists? She asked me what's wrong and I told her about the break up and why it happened and she basically just said fake it til u make it (happiness) and to be positive... but my friends could've told me that lol.

Any experiences with therapy anyone?

I have gone many times over the years.. yes, they can help.

But.. if you're not 'feeling' like this one is worthy for you.. you can ask for an different therapist.

Fake it til ya make it.. is crap response.

We are human.. we feel.. need some respect ..understanding.. etc. which is why we go.

I went to see a trainer due to a recent break up and other issues that have come by after having lost my girlfriend, I have gained 50 pounds

The workout didn't do anything for me I still need to lose 50 pounds

Has anyone seen a trainer for anything and lost 50 pounds after one session?

Do I need to workout regularly to have some sort of weight lost?

Should I switch trainer?

On a serious note physical health and psychological health are buildups ... it takes time to heal

My experience might make you feel better and help answer your question.

I have tried a number of therapists with different approaches since childhood. I think I tried about 4 in total before I found my current counsellor. I have been seeing her once or twice a month for two years and can say that it has been a catalyst for the improvements I have been trying to achieve since being berry young. It has genuinely changed my life, however I will still need to see her for a few more years yet I imagine. I initially started with my ex partner and continued after our split. The first few sessions didn't provide immediate effects but I felt a change in myself after about 4 sessions, when I later did it on my own I would have immense revelations that would blow my mind. Like wow, this is how a healthy person would see the world and I can relate to it in a way I couldn't before.

The two key points to your therapy being successful are that you are ready and committed to bettering your life even when it becomes painful and difficult (and it also is not free), and that you find a counsellor/therapist/psychiatrist that best suits your needs and personality.

I used the counsellor directory to find my counsellor and that enabled me to view her (and other prospective counsellors) credentials and method.

If you are struggling visit your doctor if they are sympathetic, they will give you practical advice on how to ensure you are taking care of your physical health and may offer you treatments or medications to help. Good luck on your journey.

It won't help if you are not into it. It's not a feel good shot in the arm to instantly relieve pain or anger or other negative emotions.

Perhaps you should get a full workup by a physician and a referral to a psychiatrist. First rule out underlying physical causes of chronic dysphoria then see if medication plus talk therapy would address it better.

The therapy session didn't do anything for me. It's my first time ever going and it was for 45 minutes. do I have to continuously go in order to have some sort of revelation?

Has anyone seen a therapist for anything and felt somewhat better after one session?

No.

Or do I have to continuously go in order to have some sort of revelation?

Yes, but "revelation" isn't what happened. More like "progress."

Should I switch therapists?

If you are not comfortable with your therapist, then you should switch. But it's early yet, and your expectations were a little off about results. I would give it a few weeks unless she really offends you.

If that's the case I feel like I should do therapy more than once a week. Do any of you go more than once a week?

When I was in high school, I went three times a week, for three hours per day (five to six hours on Mondays because it was FAMILY therapy, too).

When I was in graduate school, I went once a week.

I went to therapy for about four years when I was at school. It took me months to feel better, but even when I was feeling horrible it really helped me. Just talking to someone objective was really good. My therapist also really helped because I didn't feel able to talk to anyone else, least of all my parents.

Archived