Should I tell my ex I'm unfriending him or not?

Okay so we were together for about a year, he was my first boyfriend, first love, my best friend, everything. Our relationship was great in the beginning but he started becoming extremely distant and ended up breaking up with me about a month ago. I was absolutely crushed. I took it really hard but he said he still cared about me and would like to stay friends so that gave me some hope...well that didn't work out. A week into our 'friendship' we got in a fight (our first fight ever) and it ended badly. He ignored me despite my apologies and then after 2 weeks no contact, he sends me mixed signals by texting me out of the blue only to not reply after I respond to him. It's now been another 2 weeks of no contact and I'm finding it difficult to get on with my life when I'm able to check all his social media and see what he's doing, who he's talking to, ect. So I think it's best for the both of us if I unfriend him/unfollow him on everything. I'm not exactly sure what kind of terms we are in right now since we haven't spoken in so long but do you think it's okay to send him a quick message just explaining that I'm not unfriending him out of spite or hate, but because I believe it's something I need to do for myself. I just don't want him to think I'm doing this out of anger because it'll only cause more drama. OR do you think it's better to just unfriend him and not say anything since we haven't spoken in a couple weeks?

Okay so we were together for about a year, he was my first boyfriend, first love, my best friend, everything. Our relationship was great in the beginning but he started becoming extremely distant and ended up breaking up with me about a month ago. I was absolutely crushed. I took it really hard but he said he still cared about me and would like to stay friends so that gave me some hope...well that didn't work out. A week into our 'friendship' we got in a fight (our first fight ever) and it ended badly. He ignored me despite my apologies and then after 2 weeks no contact, he sends me mixed signals by texting me out of the blue only to not reply after I respond to him. It's now been another 2 weeks of no contact and I'm finding it difficult to get on with my life when I'm able to check all his social media and see what he's doing, who he's talking to, ect. So I think it's best for the both of us if I unfriend him/unfollow him on everything. I'm not exactly sure what kind of terms we are in right now since we haven't spoken in so long but do you think it's okay to send him a quick message just explaining that I'm not unfriending him out of spite or hate, but because I believe it's something I need to do for myself. I just don't want him to think I'm doing this out of anger because it'll only cause more drama. OR do you think it's better to just unfriend him and not say anything since we haven't spoken in a couple weeks?

Do what feels right for you, then you won't have any regrets.

I don't see anything wrong in sending a very brief message prior to going proper full on 100% no contact. In your situation, it sounds like the mature thing to do. Otherwise, he will likely message you with accusations/insults/questions which will only, as you say, cause more drama. Ideally this would have been done immediately post-break up, but a few weeks down the line is better late than never.

However, that must be your very last message if you are to move forward, i.e. do not respond if he replies, and ignore any future texts he sends.

Unfriend him. It's social media, it's really not that important.

What's important is you feeling your best. You don't need anything to set you back.

Unfortunately any reminder is going to negatively impact your healing process. Delete, block and keep busy.

Hoping for a speedy recovery.

I dont think there is a right or wrong way to doing this since the result either way would be that you are ending communications. There are positives and negatives either way so dont feel that one is better than the other.

Go with what you can live with.

Archived