Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too old for this

Too old for this

The Good

We were each other's first love, remained close friends for decades, and fell deeply in love again one year ago. Now we are both in our early 60s, recently leaving long marriages with mostly-grown children. We are very compatible in values, goals, and lifestyle, though our differences can be challenging (he is a logical extrovert and I am an introverted idealist). The most promising aspect of our relationship is that we communicate well and often, work through our problems, and share honest and unprecedented intimacy.

The Bad

Obligations: He has a stable income, but is in debt because he hasn’t yet sold his family’s house, has dependents (ex and kids), and a lingering shopping addiction. He has not paid rent since moving in with me several months ago. I told him not to worry about it until he got out of debt, and he does pay for restaurants, recreation, and some travel. I have considerable savings and no debt. Our plan is to buy a house together when he finalizes his divorce and sells his former home this spring. I hesitate to mingle our finances, as I need to consider my security in retirement.

Confusing behaviors: He is very outgoing when drunk and/or high and a few times he has disappeared when we go out to social gatherings, bars, or restaurants. He abandoned me without warning to go on brief but puzzling solo adventures with strangers. I prize courtesy and found this distressing.

The Ugly

History: He told me that he was sexually attracted to his oldest sister and once tried to seduce her when they were teenagers. She was flattered, but turned him down. He had consensual oral sex with his other sister once when they were in their 20s. This ended in him being “disgusted that she was enjoying it so much. He was deeply ashamed and confided in me to give me a chance to get out of the relationship early on. At first, I was sick about hearing this. Eventually, I decided that I could get past it all, because he assured me that he has done nothing similar since, and never would again.

Heartbreaking confession: He told me that he thinks about other people while making love with me if he can’t otherwise reach orgasm. He said he told me because he wanted to be truthful and see how I felt about it (terrible).

Though he wants to marry me, says he is ready for our new life, and plans to change some habits (laziness, drinking and getting high), I wonder if he needs time to be single and work through a mid-life crisis. How can I find the courage to commit in this relationship, when I find it difficult to trust him? Will my self esteem and respect endure trying to accept him “as is” while facing my insecurities, uncomfortable around his sisters, and wondering who he is thinking about during sex? Any advice will be considered gratefully. Getting Ready for a First Date

welcome to ENA.

Heartbreaking confession: He told me that he thinks about other people while making love with me if he can’t otherwise reach orgasm. He said he told me because he wanted to be truthful and see how I felt about it (terrible).
    That sounded unnecessarily cruel. Maybe he said it poorly but like - I don't understand why he said it the way he did and why he wanted to see how you "felt" about it, unless he was fishing to see if you'd be interested in a 3some or group sex or being a swinger or something...?

anyway - I agree with your title - you are too old for this (no offense!) You sound like a nice woman and I don't think you need a man who is going to leave you at a party, going off and getting high and drunk with strangers, while not paying rent and is still entangled with his unfinished business from his last marriage.... blah.

Thank you for the welcome and advice. Painful as it is to consider because my heart wants him, I can see your perspective and truly appreciate it. I will talk with him about my needs and fears and hope for clarity.

Dont marry him anytime soon, he's doing a lot of things that really bother you and there's no reason to believe he will actually stop those things and become more of the type of person you want. You sound mature and sensible and he seems like he's having a mid life crisis or something like that, that he needs to get out of his system. Dont join your bank accounts, keep your money separate, as there is no guarantee this is going to work out for you the way you would like.

Thank you so much for your objective advice. I needed that... and will heed it.

Sorry I can't be of any help, but I'm speechless.

Platinum Member
    Run for the hills, woman.

Sex with a sibling? Oh, hale no. He's a couple fries short of a Happy Meal.

Like Heart, I am utterly at a loss for words, and that doesn't happen to me too often.

Unfortunately there are a lot of red flags here that are not likely to change. Don't let being lonely make you blind to a problem drinker who is not even divorced yet and is living off of you. The other perverted stories were to "be honest" or to give you TMI and help you run?
    Originally Posted by ttimeofthesoul
    He has not paid rent since moving in with me several months ago.
    when he finalizes his divorce and sells his former home this spring.
    He is very outgoing when drunk and/or high and a few times he has disappeared when we go out to social gatherings

Thank you very much for your input. I can't believe how much I needed to hear it. I am working on self-worth issues. Best to all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Videos

Why Young People Don't Rush To Marry? They Fear Divorce

Why People Lie On Online Dating Services?

Relationships During Quarantine

Cheating Husbands Are at Risk of a Heart Attack

Romance At Work: Yes Or No?

How To Overcome A Divorce
Give Advice
Ask For Advice