Open Club  ·  30 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

I can't find a job...might end up homeless in a foreign country. Any advice?

coastline

Hello everyone,

I'm having a little bit of an issue (maybe a little bit more than just an 'issue'). Long story short, I'm on a one year working holiday visa in Ireland. I'm originally from the U.S and took a year off of university to do this (was supposed to be a senior this year). For general background purposes, I was having a lot of stress, anxiety, and depression related issues and thought it would be best for me to be away from school.

A few bits of info:

-go a decent uni back home, have a decent cv, decent references (even have associate's degree)

-extensive experience in managerial, admin, reception, research, recruitment, etc (well rounded CV)

-never had any problem getting a job in the past (worked 2 office jobs at the same time, this past year)

-applied to 170+ jobs, customised my cover letter for each employer (didn't send a generic one)

-have gotten one response for a skype interview in which the interviewer bailed last minute (???)

-so technically....ZERO responses

Anyways, I realized that it might because I have a 'strange' name (ethnic name), and started assuming that they are profiling on the basis that my name isn't 'white.' I'm really annoyed because I asked some people who live here (including my hosts), and they said it is true, and that they only want to hire 'actual' Irish people with Irish names. I knew of an acquaintance who had a master's degree that had trouble getting a job because of this foreign name (he spoke perfect English) and last I saw him, he still didn't have a job. I don't even know how to respond or work with that....

I wanted to spend a year here and was super excited about it, but now it's turned into a nightmare of being stuck in a house literally slaving away doing check in/housework @ a bed & breakfast. I do the family's laundry, make lunch/dinner, clean everything (non-stop) in exchange for room and board (been doing this for the past month). I've learned a lot and it has been humbling to do this for...a while.....but I'm stuck in rural bit of the country and I haven't talked to/met anyone new or even around my age for a month+ (it's just me, my 'hosts' and their 2 kids- for lack of a better words). I just really want a proper, paid job of some sort. I've never had trouble securing a job in the past...for whatever reasons. I can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong here...

I'm really sad and it eats away at me more and more every day. In fact, my anxiety is starting to come back and it's making this trip the reverse of everything I wanted it to be. I tend to dwell on issues/problems in the past every night (around this time) and overthink every issue I've ever had....I'm scared that it might lead me to some kind of downward spiral of depression again. I'm stuck here. This has been going on for about a month now and it isn't wrong of me to assume that it will go for much longer....I don't want to be homeless in a foreign country. If I did secure a job, I would be able to pay enough to live until I get my first paycheck- the only problem is securing a job. I am so overwhelmed and shocked....I have no one to go to for advice about this, and I don't want to tell my family because I put so much enthusiasm into being here...I don't want to go back and spend a year doing nothing (uni starts again next fall).

Any advice on this matter would be so, so appreciated. Please and thank you in advance.

This is exploitation Coast. You are also entitled to some monetary payment in addition to the room and board. No Irish person would work for or even get involved in the scenario you are describing.

You are not doing anything wrong. These people should be reported.

I am Irish, and what you describe is not tolerated here. Yes, it is difficult to get work here, for a variety of reasons. However, you need to get out of the situation you are in. You do not say how you got in touch with this "family". Presumably online (sigh!!).

Get in touch with your Embassy, find the names of some agencies who will find you a better family, and take it from there,

This is exploitation Coast. You are also entitled to some monetary payment in addition to the room and board. No Irish person would work for or even get involved in the scenario you are describing.

You are not doing anything wrong. These people should be reported.

I am Irish, and what you describe is not tolerated here. Yes, it is difficult to get work here, for a variety of reasons. However, you need to get out of the situation you are in. You do not say how you got in touch with this "family". Presumably online (sigh!!).

Get in touch with your Embassy, find the names of some agencies who will find you a better family, and take it from there,

Hello Hermes, thank you for your response! No, it is not exploitation....it is part of this website called 'Workaway'- where you do manual work in exchange for room and board. I was only going to do it very temporarily before I found a proper job....but I have extended it....and extended it....to the point where it is all I do.

Most people only do it for about 2 weeks. I'm a month in....because finding a job seems impossible.

Do you still think I should get in touch with the Embassy? I was thinking it is too random/not of relevance to what they actually work with...

if you need to go back home and get out of there contact them. Get a job at home and then start your studies again. You are not homeless, you're away from home/your family and homesick. Call them.

I don't want to tell my family because I put so much enthusiasm into being here...I don't want to go back and spend a year doing nothing (uni starts again next fall)

I might need to clarify and/or edit the topic/question part of my post because thankfully there is no way that I will ever be actually 'homeless,' as my parents would accommodate/help me out. I just would rather be homeless (maybe I'm being prideful) than ever inform them that I came out to a country 5k miles away only to not 'make it work (not even find a job).' I came out here to learn to be independent and fend for myself and I just can't make it work.....They wouldn't be mad at me, but I just feel like I was so happy to be here and assured them that I would find a job/housing with no problem- when it obviously hasn't been. They worry and care a lot and I don't want to let them down.

However, I'm trying to do everything on my own here...and bc it's so hard to find a job, I feel like being on my own out here (leaving this family) would mean I would be homeless in quite a short span of time (theoretically) just because I would just be using money and not earning any....

if you need to go back home and get out of there contact them. Get a job at home and then start your studies again. You are not homeless, you're away from home/your family and homesick. Call them.

Hello. Hope you are doing well. Thank you for your input. It's quite complicated. I can't start my studies again until next fall (I dropped my classes bc of my anxiety issues) because my school said I had to take a proper medical leave. It's part of our school's medical leave policy. I can't be at home for many reasons, but being home is a very sensitive place- I love my parents, I just can't live with them. I had planned this for so long and for it to fall through this way would crush me. Not only that, I paid around 2k + for the working visa, passport, and ticket to get here alone. I also really enjoy being in this country...I just wish I could find a way to make it work.

When local people are struggling to get jobs, expect that you, as a foreigner, will definitely be at the bottom of the pile or just plain not considered. It's not that you are doing anything wrong, it may just be an issue of supply and demand, aka bad economy. Also, the issue is that you are looking for temp work and many employers want to hire for keeps. So again, puts you at the bottom of the pile in terms of being considered.

You may want to reach out the embassy to see if they have contacts/resources to help you with maybe getting some temp work. They might have something they can do for you or not, but it's worth a shot.

Honestly... it sounds like a case of "well, it was a nice try."

From what I understand, everyday Irish people are having a hard enough time landing steady work, and the Irish ain't like us where there are jobs the average American simply won't do, so someone can come in from abroad and get their hands dirty for a few bucks. And we're talking people who need jobs to feed their families, not as a way to have a fun adventure during their year off university. I'm not saying this because I think you shouldn't have gone. You came, you saw, and you didn't quite conquer, but you got two steps further than a whole lot of other people will ever get.

It may be best to chalk it up as learning experience and head home. Ireland will be there in 5 years. Get your bearings and save some dough so that when you return, you can actually enjoy the pubs.

Ugh, that sucks, I understand how you feel in terms of not wanting to come home.

Have you tried applying to a wide variety of places including restaurants and bars? Also, when you apply for a job do you go in person to talk to the potential employer or just send your resume online? I think you'll likely have the most success if you go in person. You might also have more success in a large city such as Dublin. You could try finding a job at a touristy/international type place (such as a restaurant, coffee shop, or bar). They might be more likely to hire a foreigner. (Or a hostel).

If your situation with this family is really bad (and it sounds like it is), maybe you should try to find another host on workaway, there must be better situations, I know people who have had very positive experiences with such sites. You could also try help exchange (it's very similar to workaway) or WWOOF (this is more about organic farming). You could probably find a situation where you could meet more people and be in a more central location as well as do less work and maybe better work (depending on your interests). If I were you I would focus on that first. I'd find try to find a situation in an area more likely to have work and then resume looking for a formal job.

If you do have to go home, it's not the end of the world. You tried something, took a risk, that takes courage, but is not guaranteed to work out.

If you are set on staying and can't find a payed job, I would find a good work exchange situation, one where you have plenty of free time and can meet new people. In your spare time you could even work on various skills so you feel like you are doing something productive with your year. (For example, start a blog, do volunteering, research and area relevant to your career goals, etc, I'm sure there are things you could do that you would find personally valuable which would also add value to your CV. Or just find a better situation and enjoy the year or a few months there. You don't have to have a formal job to be doing something valuable and learning independence.

Listen to me, carefully, OP.

I see this on "Workaway".

"Volunteering and cultural exchange around the world. Integrate and help local communities in over 155 countries."

So, what local community are you "volunteering" for here in Ireland. None. For sure. You are to all intents and purposes a slave worker. And that status became obsolete in this country a very long time ago.

No au pair coming here (and many come from Continental Europe) work for "food and board only". ALL of them get some money even if only pocket money, to the tune of about 100 euro a week.

Actually temp work is the order of the day here in Ireland, and is indeed a political bone of contention as employers try to hand out "zero contracts" as they are called. So, yes, you will get temporary work if you look for it.

Next:

Contact this organization:

Migrant Rights Centre Ireland, 37 Dame Street, Dublin 2 (opposite the Central Bank)

Phone: 01 889 7570

Email: info@mrci.ie

They will signpost you in the right direction. And tell them about Workaway, who evidently fraudulently advised you!

Any immigration lawyer would also be able to assist.

If you listen to the radio in this country (or watch T.V. current affairs) you will note that the situation here post-recession is still rather dire.

Also, read this report

Always, always, always research any country you are travelling to for purposes of possibly finding work/accommodation. Ireland is no different from any other. Workaway should be reported for misrepresentation.

Take action, OP. There is no need for you to live like this while you are in Ireland.

All failing, threaten you will go to the newspapers. They hate that! L.

You wouldn't be the first to travel to a new place with hopes things will fall into place, and not have it work out as planned, so don't feel bad about that. I personally would have lined up something first before traveling, but that's me and my aversion to risk (I am apt to panic when in a tight spot). Actually, my son did something similar to what you are doing; it didn't work out and when he called me it sounded like he felt defeated and crushed. My heart went out to him, and I told him he could come here and get back on his feet. He sounded relieved and surprised, returned, found a job close by that worked out well until he went back to uni 9 months later. I don't blame anyone for following their dreams, but sometimes you have to adjust them to make things work in the present. That was maybe 10 years ago and I still meet folks around town who loved working with him. He was a rock star at his job, and I think he enjoyed it. So, I guess I'm saying, if you had to go back and stay with your parents, or near by, it could be an unexpected plus. Of course I don't know your situation with them.

On the other hand, like DancingFool said, maybe the embassy could suggest some contacts for temp work. I'd also figure out your hourly labor rate and tally that for your bed and breakfast work, and figure a comparable trade with them. If they are over charging you for room and board find a better situation to do that kind of work, at least until you can make connections and find something more satisfying.

And do not, do NOT try to find work in Dublin. Rents are exorbitant (in fact that is the current hot topic in the news here). This is my country and I know what I am talking about.

And do not go back to Workaway, by no means. Talk about the frying pan and the fire. There is a plague of these "agencies" out there, whose only idea is to make money. An absolute scourge.

Once again, finding work is NOT the problem (hotel, cafés, catering, etc.) the problem is being able to find accommodation you can afford.

Have a look at this:

Even people in well-paid jobs are finding it hard.

Anyhow here is one hotel industry recruitment agency:

Good luck and hope all turns out well for you.

When local people are struggling to get jobs, expect that you, as a foreigner, will definitely be at the bottom of the pile or just plain not considered. It's not that you are doing anything wrong, it may just be an issue of supply and demand, aka bad economy. Also, the issue is that you are looking for temp work and many employers want to hire for keeps. So again, puts you at the bottom of the pile in terms of being considered.

You may want to reach out the embassy to see if they have contacts/resources to help you with maybe getting some temp work. They might have something they can do for you or not, but it's worth a shot.

I completely agree, and do see it that way as well. But it seems to me that there are absolutely no exceptions to this sort of logic that is running there...which is not common at all. I may be reaching out to the embassy, for reference on further contacts and resources.

Honestly... it sounds like a case of "well, it was a nice try."

From what I understand, everyday Irish people are having a hard enough time landing steady work, and the Irish ain't like us where there are jobs the average American simply won't do, so someone can come in from abroad and get their hands dirty for a few bucks. And we're talking people who need jobs to feed their families, not as a way to have a fun adventure during their year off university. I'm not saying this because I think you shouldn't have gone. You came, you saw, and you didn't quite conquer, but you got two steps further than a whole lot of other people will ever get.

It may be best to chalk it up as learning experience and head home. Ireland will be there in 5 years. Get your bearings and save some dough so that when you return, you can actually enjoy the pubs.

Thank you so much for your realistic and thoughtful input. I actually did experience Dublin at its finest (food and pubs and all) the first two months I was there (June-beg of August), and just the joy of Irish hospitality in such a bustling and beautiful city. It was one of the many reasons why I still strongly feel that I need to stay- and it has always always been my dream to come and work here- not vacation. Thank you so much again. I am humbled by everyone...and really appreciate it beyond words.

You wouldn't be the first to travel to a new place with hopes things will fall into place, and not have it work out as planned, so don't feel bad about that. I personally would have lined up something first before traveling, but that's me and my aversion to risk (I am apt to panic when in a tight spot). Actually, my son did something similar to what you are doing; it didn't work out and when he called me it sounded like he felt defeated and crushed. My heart went out to him, and I told him he could come here and get back on his feet. He sounded relieved and surprised, returned, found a job close by that worked out well until he went back to uni 9 months later. I don't blame anyone for following their dreams, but sometimes you have to adjust them to make things work in the present. That was maybe 10 years ago and I still meet folks around town who loved working with him. He was a rock star at his job, and I think he enjoyed it. So, I guess I'm saying, if you had to go back and stay with your parents, or near by, it could be an unexpected plus. Of course I don't know your situation with them.

On the other hand, like DancingFool said, maybe the embassy could suggest some contacts for temp work. I'd also figure out your hourly labor rate and tally that for your bed and breakfast work, and figure a comparable trade with them. If they are over charging you for room and board find a better situation to do that kind of work, at least until you can make connections and find something more satisfying.

Yup. American and Canadians looking for their European adventure are about a dime a dozen, so we don't even have the novelty angle going for us. Pre-recession, it was a lot easier to make happen, but as of now, Ireland's got twice the unemployment rate we've got here in the States.

I'm very fortunate that I'm able to contract abroad during the slow seasons here in the US. But before that, I never quite got to live the live-abroad dream. Got close, but not quite.

I completely agree, and do see it that way as well. But it seems to me that there are absolutely no exceptions to this sort of logic that is running there...which is not common at all. I may be reaching out to the embassy, for reference on further contacts and resources.

Definitely reach out for resources. It can't hurt.

As for whether you are being taken advantage of or not, it's really a simple calculation. Figure out what room and board would cost v. what is the average wage paid for housekeeping work you are doing. You'll learn very fast whether you are being taken advantage of or whether they are actually being charitable or whether you are all breaking even. Either way, you aren't going to be homeless unless they are asking for you to move out and move on already.

Keep in mind that going home is an option even if you don't like it. It's OK to admit that something didn't go as planned.

Thank you so much for your realistic and thoughtful input. I actually did experience Dublin at its finest (food and pubs and all) the first two months I was there (June-beg of August), and just the joy of Irish hospitality in such a bustling and beautiful city. It was one of the many reasons why I still strongly feel that I need to stay- and it has always always been my dream to come and work here- not vacation. Thank you so much again. I am humbled by everyone...and really appreciate it beyond words.
So not a waste at all then. Two months in Dublin having a great time? Your boy's jealous. I've actually got a list from all the Irish dudes I've met at various bars and soccer pubs. Planning a trip next Spring to do a tour and see which town's got the best folks to knock a few back with. Skippin' over all the sites. But I've also got a good chunk of change saved up. A few people I've met have actually said Spanish speakers are in demand there, so maybe once my current gig dries up, I'll give it a shot.

I read this, Coast, in your other thread:

"-I am 21 years old, female

-Have had depression + serious anxiety (anxiety attacks, etc) in the past

-Have been sexually assaulted before (reason why this is listed will make sense in a bit)

-Traveling alone

-Goal is to learn about the world, develop self, exchange culture, etc etc"

Coast: not everyone is cut out for this "adventure" lark, I assure you. And with depression and serious anxiety attacks travel is perhaps the last thing you should be doing at this particular time.

I take it you have arranged to at least have access to G.P. care? Yes?

Small village life in this country can be suffocating, to put it mildly. And, contrary to popular perception, we are a complicated and complex race of people. Keep that in mind.

I read your long post in the other thread.

Yup. American and Canadians looking for their European adventure are about a dime a dozen, so we don't even have the novelty angle going for us. Pre-recession, it was a lot easier to make happen, but as of now, Ireland's got twice the unemployment rate we've got here in the States.

I'm very fortunate that I'm able to contract abroad during the slow seasons here in the US. But before that, I never quite got to live the live-abroad dream. Got close, but not quite.

Yes, that darn recession, I know. My son was closer, still in the U.S., just a different coast. So at least he could take a bus home.

Ugh, that sucks, I understand how you feel in terms of not wanting to come home.

Have you tried applying to a wide variety of places including restaurants and bars? Also, when you apply for a job do you go in person to talk to the potential employer or just send your resume online? I think you'll likely have the most success if you go in person. You might also have more success in a large city such as Dublin. You could try finding a job at a touristy/international type place (such as a restaurant, coffee shop, or bar). They might be more likely to hire a foreigner. (Or a hostel).

If your situation with this family is really bad (and it sounds like it is), maybe you should try to find another host on workaway, there must be better situations, I know people who have had very positive experiences with such sites. You could also try help exchange (it's very similar to workaway) or WWOOF (this is more about organic farming). You could probably find a situation where you could meet more people and be in a more central location as well as do less work and maybe better work (depending on your interests). If I were you I would focus on that first. I'd find try to find a situation in an area more likely to have work and then resume looking for a formal job.

If you do have to go home, it's not the end of the world. You tried something, took a risk, that takes courage, but is not guaranteed to work out.

If you are set on staying and can't find a payed job, I would find a good work exchange situation, one where you have plenty of free time and can meet new people. In your spare time you could even work on various skills so you feel like you are doing something productive with your year. (For example, start a blog, do volunteering, research and area relevant to your career goals, etc, I'm sure there are things you could do that you would find personally valuable which would also add value to your CV. Or just find a better situation and enjoy the year or a few months there. You don't have to have a formal job to be doing something valuable and learning independence.

I am quite set on staying at the moment. I don't have any experience in restaurant work or bars....and I have only sent resumes online since I am in a rural village in the middle of the country. I don't have access to public transportation, or else I totally would have done that as I know it is more efficient. I will definitely look into hostels and etc- most international environments as you said. It sounds like a good idea.

A lot of these WWOOF places and WorkAways are in rural areas (unfortunately) so it leaves on in a 'bubble' kind of environment. None are in big cities or suburban sort of areas. This family isn't great at all (got scolded in a very demeaning way bc I didn't get up early one morning?? they even make a lot of weird 'slave' jokes; don't do a thing around the house) but I also have a very high tolerance for it- one being that I am shocked and amused that such people exist. 2. I have little/no options outside of here (for the next week or more), since I have to find another place and that will take me a while. To be honest, I don't really mind it, I just know it could be better, and more importantly, I just want a job that allows me to be independent because now I know what a true lack of independence feels like....it is extremely humbling and eye-opening. I think I am just rambling at this rate, but I just want to thank you and will def look finding another host for now...

I read this, Coast, in your other thread:

"-I am 21 years old, female

-Have had depression + serious anxiety (anxiety attacks, etc) in the past

-Have been sexually assaulted before (reason why this is listed will make sense in a bit)

-Traveling alone

-Goal is to learn about the world, develop self, exchange culture, etc etc"

Coast: not everyone is cut out for this "adventure" lark, I assure you. And with depression and serious anxiety attacks travel is perhaps the last thing you should be doing at this particular time.

I take it you have arranged to at least have access to G.P. care? Yes?

Small village life in this country can be suffocating, to put it mildly. And, contrary to popular perception, we are a complicated and complex race of people. Keep that in mind.

I read your long post in the other thread.

*many hugs*

I am much better now and have sought help for this. It's a reoccurring theme and I am learning to cope with it everyday. I do have access to and know where I can go to receive healthcare if I need it. I completely agree with the whole feeling 'suffocated' in a small village type of feeling.

And do not, do NOT try to find work in Dublin. Rents are exorbitant (in fact that is the current hot topic in the news here). This is my country and I know what I am talking about.

And do not go back to Workaway, by no means. Talk about the frying pan and the fire. There is a plague of these "agencies" out there, whose only idea is to make money. An absolute scourge.

Once again, finding work is NOT the problem (hotel, cafés, catering, etc.) the problem is being able to find accommodation you can afford.

Have a look at this:

Even people in well-paid jobs are finding it hard.

Anyhow here is one hotel industry recruitment agency:

Good luck and hope all turns out well for you.

I have found the same to be true, and definitely agree that rent prices are absolutely insane in Dublin. Thank you so much for that link!

Archived