Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

Traveling for the first time at 31 years of age

simply

I posted a thread a year and ten days ago on this forum complaining of how I was turning 31 and had yet to travel abroad. Well, wouldn't you know it, I had met a girl a few months ago and out of complete spontaneity, we booked a trip to the U.K. in mid-July.

There were 101 reasons why something could go wrong; things usually do with me, we just met, personal life is a bit precarious, etc. However, two months later, and everything is still a go.

Our flight leaves this Wednesday and as I stated in a previous thread, I won't be telling anyone close to me(with the exception of co-workers) that I'm leaving. One of the main reasons I haven't told anyone is, for one, I like the idea of surprising friends and family with a picture of me in another country. Secondly, I've noticed that when I disclose any plans to do anything of relevance, they tend not to happen. I had an incident with an ex-girlfriend who had told me she booked a flight for the both of us to Mexico, but it turned out to be a complete lie. I found that out after I had told everyone, and felt completely humiliated. So naturally, I took a different approach this time around.

I have certainly learned a little about myself in these past couple of months. I have a horrible tendency to self-sabotage whenever something positive comes my way. I've nearly brought my relationship to an end based on personal insecurity and have driven myself mad with negative thoughts. These experiences have forced me to look within and find solutions to help subside these destructive habits. As a result, the past couple of weeks have been better on so many levels. Both, personally and with my relationship.

So with the clock ticking down(not nearly fast enough), the most difficult part of this trip has been the anticipation of it. I've decided to take this challenge a bit further and have rented a car to try my hand at driving on the opposite side of the road. Aside from the challenge, it is so much more convenient.

I'm not quite sure what I'm getting at. There's no actual question within this post. I feel it's more of a personal log that you can read and give feedback to based on your own experiences with pre-flight anxiety, or other personal issues. I certainly welcome any and all responses. Your opinion matters.

Have a wonderful time Simply. Think I posted on that thread of yours! Take everything as it happens there will be both bad and great moments no doubt!

You did post on my previous thread with excellent advice that I haven't forgotten. Scotland is the first destination on my list Have any tips for highway/motorway driving? I've read that the max speed limit is 70mph O_O In Toronto, I usually go upwards of 120-140mph. Looks like I'll have to make a slight adjustment in speed

Are you going to Scotland? I hope so, it is the most beautiful place on earth

Hi Shelly62, you also posted on my previous thread regarding traveling. Thank you for both replies. To answer your question, yes, I will start out in Scotland, then over to London, and finally Ireland(Belfast and Dublin).

Have any tips for highway/motorway driving? I've read that the max speed limit is 70mph O_O In Toronto, I usually go upwards of 120-140mph. Looks like I'll have to make a slight adjustment in speed

As long as you keep to the LEFT side of the road then you should be fine, hehe. Is that definitely Canada's speed limit in mph? I knew the range was higher but wow! Just sit back and enjoy the scenery then There will be some people who will get away with 80 or over when then can but don't think you'll want speeding ticket fines added to your budget! I've not done a lot of motorway driving so don't have a lot to pass on, apart from don't hog the faster middle/right-hand lanes and get back over as soon as you can.

Archived