Dreams

moodindigo91

I've been reading some transcribed lectures that Carl Jung gave in London in the 1930's on Analytical Psychology. The last three lectures or so have dealt primarily with dream interpretation, and I've been finding it extremely interesting. His theories are impeccable. He believes that dreams are the gateway to our unconscious minds, both personal and collective human unconscious. He cites all kinds of evidence from decades of studies. There are two types of dreams: personal and archetypal. The personal dream interpretations are easier to perform, as you just have to get the patient to state what they interpret certain images in their dream to represent, and then you can fill in the missing blanks with your knowledge of psychological complexes (if you were a psychotherapist, that is).

Archetypal dreams are most interesting. These are the dreams that have images that are not personal in nature. Instead, they are images that belong to the collective human unconscious (human beings have a history, he says, and that history is within us, dormant in our unconscious). These images can only be properly interpreted if you have studied symbolism throughout history and across cultures and they are very important. Archetypal dreams are sort of like warnings. You mind is trying to warn you of something.

Anyways, personally I know I dream each night but I usually forget them almost as soon as I wake up, or at least I retain very minute details of my dreams. The dreams I most remember are my nightmares. I for some reason can vividly remember my most chilling nightmares, and not good dreams. For the last few nights, I've been having very weird dreams, where I seem to be in a sort of alternate universe that is almost exactly like the world we live in, but slightly different and with a sort of terrifying tone to it. I can't exactly place my finger on what makes it so terrifying, but I think it has something to do with disappearing images or information, I also can't seem to make out faces. In my dreams, my conversations are constant and normal, I seem to always be talking to someone (though I'm not sure who) non-stop, yet the images I see are very disconnected with the conversation and usually pretty terrifying. People don't have faces and I'm usually being chased by things. Everything is dark and eerie. Last night right before I awoke, I was about to be chased/attacked by a random dragon that appeared in the corner (in the book, Jung was interpreting a dream involving a dragon/serpent creature) I'm sad that I awoke at this moment because I was interested in seeing whether or not I would fight or flea from the dragon.

Regardless, I'm interested in knowing what others think about dreams. What are the most memorable dreams you've had? Have you ever had a dream that made you change your life in some way, whether big or small? Just thought this to be an interesting topic. I wonder if it means anything that I really only remember my bad dreams/nightmares.

Brie.

Yes, there are some dreams, many from a long time ago, that I remember very vividly. However, it has to be said that those dreams mainly happened when there was stress in my life, and their vividness reflected the heightened stress. Or so I believe.

I have never found that my dreams foretold anything. And, maybe it is unusual, I very rarely dream of anyone I know. Only of strangers, people I have never met.

I am a creative person and often have very vivid dreams about books I haven't written yet. I can hold the book in my hands, and I can see the cover art and turn the pages. When I have dreams like that I write down every detail I can remember immediately after I wake up. On more than a few occasions I have produced a book that I saw first in a dream.

Not every dream is so literal, though. I use the web site to make sense of the strange ones. I often feel a lot better about my dreams after reading their interpretations.

I am a creative person and often have very vivid dreams about books I haven't written yet. I can hold the book in my hands, and I can see the cover art and turn the pages. When I have dreams like that I write down every detail I can remember immediately after I wake up. On more than a few occasions I have produced a book that I saw first in a dream.

Not every dream is so literal, though. I use the web site to make sense of the strange ones. I often feel a lot better about my dreams after reading their interpretations.

I read Jorge Luis Borges often, he also ponders dreams. In an essay he wrote, he recounted the story of a man who dreamed of a story, he awoke and wrote an entire book. Similar thing happened when a man dreamed of a poem. Just an ordinary man, not a writer or a poet by any means. Woke up, and recorded every detail, wrote an epic poem. When reading this, I was amazed. Very cool to know you've experienced the same thing.

Well, Coleridge did something like that, didn't he. Kubla Khan. However, it was an opium-influenced dream, that has to be said

Sure, there are dreams I have had on which I could base a book. Not too sure though how the censors might view it! LOL.

In every dream that I can remember. If I look in the mirror I'm always somone else I found this strange. I also find strange my dreams about music. I have absolutely no ability. But in the dream I seem to. I did play an instrument for 11 years but basically faked it thru school. Some dreams absolutely stick with you extremely vivid I have a recurring one every year or so. It is basically flying machines that don't fly normal and usually attacking each other. Sexual dreams I have super rarely I hear others have those. If they do exist it's always whoever I've been with but they look totally different. The best are dreams when u realize you are dreaming. It's like inception pick something so far out there there's no chance it could ever happen in real life. If it happens you are dreaming. The first thing I do is have sex with somone lol. To bad those don't happen much either.

Sexual dreams I have super rarely I hear others have those. If they do exist it's always whoever I've been with but they look totally different. The best are dreams when u realize you are dreaming. It's like inception pick something so far out there there's no chance it could ever happen in real life. If it happens you are dreaming. The first thing I do is have sex with somone lol. To bad those don't happen much either.

I've had sexual dreams only once or twice in my life, and they always came at a time when I was most miserable in my relationship. In them, I was always with a co-worker or acquaintance, someone I really didn't have interest in in real life.

I agree, the inception-type dreams are most interesting. I have them frequently, it seems like I'm aware that I'm dreaming in most of the dreams that I can remember. In fact, in my dragon dream last night, I knew I was dreaming. I was even making comments to myself about how odd this dream seemed to be. Then the dragon went for me, and that's when I woke up!

There is a drug I forget the name I'm sure you can find it on google. It induces a dream state after taken. People often see people have no sense of time like a dream. Speaking of nightmares. When I was younger not so much now though it can happen if I sleep on my back for some reason. Sleep paralysis absolutely horrable till you go thru it a couple times and realize what's going on. Luckally it hasn't happened much while sleeping next to somone you feel like a total ass. Lol talk about a night terror.

Found it Dimethyltryptamine

Archived