Missing ex's family.

Broke up with awful ex almost 4 months ago, haven't spoken to him since. He cheated, lied, got together with the girl and they are flooding their social media with how in love and perfect their lives are - they are both "social media famous".

I was very close to my ex's parents, particularity his mom. They became my second family and shared in my accomplishments and life as much as my own parents did over 3 years. His mom came to my college graduation a few days after we had broken up and that was the last time I saw her. She knows pretty much all the details of the split, and I know this has been hard on her and her husband as well. I've only spoken to her once after that, about 3 months ago telling her that now that my ex officially has a new girlfriend I thought it would be best to cut contact for a while and that I would mail a few things back. She told me she was so sorry and things have been "devastating" at home. My ex has since moved across the country.

We have mutual friends who have seen my ex's parents and comment how miserable my ex's mom seems. I miss her so much and want to reach out to her so we can chat but I know it wouldn't be appropriate, even though it would probably be welcomed. I know I would try to seek closure from her about my ex's behavior that she wouldn't be able to give, and I know she would just feel so responsible for him. But this woman was a large part of my support system for 3 years and it's so hard to cut her out when nothing between us was wrong. She was someone I would go to for something like this, sometimes even before my own mother.

Just a vent but also would love to know if anyone else has been in this situation.

While I sympathize I'd urge you to just walk away, they are his family and even if his mum is down because you have split up she'll get over it. He's in a relationship now and obviously happy, out him and then out of your mind and life and find someone better who's family is just as nice.

Since you have your own great friends and family,etc.. focus on reconnecting with them. This was not a husband or father of kids etc., so hanging onto and staying in touch with his family is an indirect way to hang onto him, under the guise of missing "them".

Block them from your social media so you are not tempted to creep out of curiosity hoping for a tidbit about him. don't put this woman on the spot to provide you with "closure. That's her son and he has a new gf she wants/needs to get to know...not soothe you or create a conflict of interests explaining her son's choices.

Why can't you talk to your own mom/friends/family?

I know I would try to seek closure from her about my ex's behavior that she wouldn't be able to give, and I know she would just feel so responsible for him.

Archived