Am I over reacting? Why do I feel this way

bconner1995

My perfect boyfriend of 7 months told me today it will probably be another week before I see him. He stays an a little more than an hour away so we mainly spend Friday-Sunday/Monday together. This will be the FIRST weekend we haven't spent together. I'm trying to be understand I don't want to come between someone and school work... But I am also a student and I'll always find time for him. I just don't understand... I have no friends, so he's all I have and the only person I look forward to seeing. The though of not seeing him for another week sickens me. I feel I don't deserve this and I should block him and wait for something better to come along or someone who makes me a priority by any means. Am I over reacting? I need him, he relieves my stress, and anxiety. I don't know what to do...

Why have you no friends. It is totally unfair to be so dependent on this "perfect" boyfriend:

" I have no friends, so he's all I have"

and

"I need him, he relieves my stress, and anxiety."

It isn't his job to be your therapist!

What you are stating is neediness and dependency in the extreme. Cultivate other friendships, and if you suffer from anxiety issues please seek professional help.

I agree once more with Hermes. You need friends. One mistake I made in past relationships was shunning or disregarding friends for a guy.

Don't.

Do.

That.

Join a women's group, do yoga, take a language course, join a knitting group or book club. Find. Anything.

He may very well be afraid of your dependence. Keep trying to be about *you* and you'll find he will crave you.

Agree with the above.

There's a difference between wanting someone and NEEDING them. That kind of pressure will scare him off. It's okay to be disappointed because you'll miss him, but you're basically saying that you won't be able to cope for a weekend without him. Like Hermes said, it's not his job to relieve your stress and anxiety. That almost comes across as selfish, although I know you don't mean to be and you're just freaking out a bit. If you tell him what you told us, though, it will come across as needy and possibly selfish, and he will start to pull away.

HI,

I think you are overreacting because it's just one weekend. My boyfriend and I are long distance the next time I see him will be in November and I also have no friends. So I'm sure you will survive. Is this boyfriend worth waiting For? Or are there other components we are missing that makes you feel the need to throw in Towel?

Lisa

You come across as needy and whiny and selfish, like this is all about you. If you have no friends and no hobbies, you need to get yourself out there and make friends, take up a hobby, join a club or group, get a job. Do something for yourself. It's pitiful that your life revolves around a guy to the detriment of the rest of your life. You have to find other things and people in your life to make you a whole and rounded person.

OP: Also, don't tell people you don't have friends. If you're new to a place (I was, as 30, which is hard), then get a job and put yourself out there. Say something more like, "I recently moved here and I don't know a lot of people--but I'd like to hang out sometime!"

If you have the personality for it, waitressing (and bar tending if you have the skills) will bring you a variety of people who are VERY willing to talk to you (they're drunk and happy!) Or join a yoga or dance group. Dance, for me, was a primary way to meet people. I'm also an active equestrian (which I know not everyone can afford) but at the right barn, you can take lessons on other horses. Riding has given me SO much confidence--so much that I became an instructor and am moving my career to the next level in a different state soon!

http://www.groupon.com

Good luck, honey! You're too young (in the emotional department) to be so torn up again a dude that isn't even here. Show him your game face and he may want to play!

I feel I don't deserve this and I should block him and wait for something better to come along or someone who makes me a priority by any means. Am I over reacting? I need him, he relieves my stress, and anxiety. I don't know what to do...

Blocking him because he's using a weekend to do school work for the first time ever? Really?

You need to stop depending on him to relieve stress and anxiety which actually belong to you. It's not his job, and acting as though it is will do neither of you any good. Use the extra time you have on your own to look at possibilities - yoga, volunteering, meetups... anything which will engage your interest. It will be difficult to begin with, because you're so used to being overly dependent on him, but once you start taking the focus of your life away from yourself you will become less needy, much more fulfilled, much happier - and ultimately a much better partner.

Good luck!

Sorry, I'm going to be honest! When I saw "perfect" boyfriend, I couldn't help but think... really? That's how you refer him? I think what you need is counselling and than friends. Life is about balance. It is not a good foundation to build a relationship based on solely on just your boyfriend. Yes, you are over reacting. It's beyond over reacting, I'm worried about your way of thinking. It is not healthy!

P.S. there are many ways to meet friends. What is going to happen if your boyfriend leaves you? Seriously, please consider getting some counselling.

Wow, preemptive strike of blocking him because he's busy one weekend? Try not to be clingy or vindictive, it won't help things. Schedule stuff for yourself to do accomplish something or study or hang out with family or whatever. Time apart is good it gives you a chance to miss each other.

One busy weekend is not a deal-breaker, is it? Anyone who 'comes along' is going to be put off by clingyness so that strategy probably won't work.

This will be the FIRST weekend we haven't spent together. I'm trying to be understand I don't want to come between someone and school work... I feel I don't deserve this and I should block him and wait for something better to come along or someone who makes me a priority by any means.

Archived