Does my boyfriend still love his ex?

livhunter9

Hi guys, this is my first post on this forum as I felt I had no one else to turn to for advice about the matter.

A little bit of background information: I have been with my boyfriend for almost 2 years now. He is 23, I'm 20. He was previously in a 3 year on/off relationship with another girl (also 20). I had previously had little experience in the whole 'serious relationship' thing - my longest relationship lasted 8 months. Needless to say, I am head over heels for this guy.

We met about 2 months after he finally called things over with his ex (who didn't want to end it). He immediately told me how much he liked me, but I told him to give it a month, let him get his head together and if he still didn't feel like getting back with his ex at the end of the month, I would start dating him. And so we did.

The relationship has been great, although from time to time I get insecure about his last relationship. While I don't believe he still fancies her, I worry that there are still strong feelings there that won't ever disappear. He was very in love with his ex while they were together, sometimes I think more than he is with me. He would write posts about how much he loved her etc on social media a lot (which he doesn't do so much with me). However I can't tell if this is just because he was younger then, more clueless in his first relationship and has now matured from past experience. He also cheated on her a lot. However from what I know he has never disrespected me and always talks about how he would never want to do that to a girl again. He also reassures me that he has no feelings for his ex anymore, that she was evil and manipulative and that he is upset that I would even think that. He told me after about 5 months of us being together that 'he thought he loved his ex, but I'd shown him that it wasn't love'...

Anyhow, I stumbled upon a tweet he wrote 3 years ago (don't ask how haha) which must have been written when they were going through one of their many break ups. It said 'I don't think it's possible to fall in love twice. Once you've actually loved someone, everything after that is just fake.' My heart dropped when I read this. I'm now questioning everything about our relationship. A part of me thinks that it was 3 years ago, he was younger etc. But I can't stop thinking about it, it's tearing me apart.

Please let me know your opinions, I have no idea what to do or think... Thank you x

Archived