Painfully lonely

I'm a 28 yo living in Asia, thousands of miles away from friends and family. So many expats come and go here and the language barrier makes it really difficult to make local friends. The closest friend I do have here is becoming really distant from me and I don't know why - we don't really talk about feelings very often.

I get home from work and just sit in my apartment, reading articles or watching videos or reading books. It's SO lonely. This isn't life, this is just existing and I'm tired of it. Suicide has cropped up in my thoughts from time to time (I mean, I'm sure it crops up in all adults' thoughts at some point) but the only thing stopping me is that I know my family couldn't afford the plane ticket here to collect my body.

God this sounds really dreary and I apologise, but I just wanted to vent out my situation.

How do I cope with being so lonely?

Why are you there? Work contact? School? Military? Are there other expats there? What about researching clubs or groups or meetings where people who speak your language gather?

I'm a 28 yo living in Asia, So many expats come and go here and the language barrier makes it really difficult to make local friends.

Do you get to go home? Are you in contact with anyone back home? I used to travel overseas for work. It wasn't easy specially with the language barrier wouldn't talk for weeks couldn't read anything local and tv sucked. Unfortunately I'd mostly be alone no coworkers. I loved it when a coworker would come so I'd have somone to talk to. Can you talk to your coworkers?

Pong. Do not tell me that NOBODY there where you are in Asia speaks ANY English!

And you are right, sitting in an apartment doing nothing is not living.

There have to activities in which you could join, so unless you are in a remote mountain or desert area surely there are sports clubs you could join.

Archived