super sensitive teeth. please help!?

I was diagnosed with periodontal disease back in 2013. In 2014 i was having insurance issues so couldnt visit a dentist so my oral health has really gone downhill. My gums have receded so bad that the roots in the top of my teeth where the gum is suppose to cover it, is exposed. Its very hard to brush my teeth now. It been hurting due to the sensitivity to brush but my gums are receding still and its making it a lot worse. Is there a sensitive toothepaste that will help with the sensitivity on the roots? I go to dentist every 3 months for treatments and every 6 months for cleaning and i have an appt next week but not waiting that long to ask a dentist about any toothepaste recommendations. Its gotten so bad that i just dont want to brush my teeth anymore and its depressing me because i cant go a day without brushing or I'll feel gross. Has anyone been through this? Please please help??

Any drug store sells toothpaste for sensitive gums - just go and get some.

Also, buy yourself a bottle of pure tea tree oil - every day that you brush your teeth, add a drop or two to your toothpaste on your toothbrush. Do it religiously and it will kill the bacteria and help heal your gums up. It will be bitter and make sure you spit it out and don't swallow the oil. However, a bitter remedy is better than losing your teeth.

Try oil pulling. Get some coconut oil and swish it around in your mouth for 10-20 minutes. Start with 5 minutes then work your way up. You can also put tea tree oil or peppermint oil in it like the poster above suggests.

It really helps to heal the gums. You can google it for more info.

Hi

Ouch you poor thing, I don't suffer from Periodontal Disease, (I get ulcers from clenching at night), I use Sensodyne toothpaste and have just started with Coconut oil (oil Pulling) - Coconut oil apparently helps as an antibacterial in the mouth... takes a bit of getting use to (Errr gag) just swish it in between your teeth for roughly 20mins a day.. (gag) - Gawd with this pain I will try anything.

I also have Difflam mouth gel for my gums (similar to bonjella which babies use for teething) , and Antiseptic Mouth wash for after brushing.

Stay away from Hot and super cold drinks as it makes any pain in the mouth worse.

Did your dentist not give you recommendations in the past?

I haven't tried these yet, but have been told Clove Oil is amazing:

-Clove Oil {grind 2 cloves with oil and put on pain}

-Sliced ginger

-oregano oil

Possible benefits of coconut oil (but don't quote me on it):

Whiter teeth • Cavity and gingivitis prevention • Better breath (halitosis suffers also reported greatly improved morning breath) • Stronger teeth and gums • Less jaw pain (TMJ sufferers noted great improvement), sleep problems and sinus issues • Alleviation of headaches, hangovers and skin issues (reports have shown improvement in acne, psoriasis and eczema)

Its gotten so bad that i just dont want to brush my teeth anymore

Unfortunately, it is extremely important to continue brushing, at least twice a day. Start using Sensodyne toothpaste - you should notice a difference within a few weeks. Also, use a very very soft toothbrush, the softest you can find, even a baby toothbrush is good and don't brush with too much pressure, just gently. What can also help gums settle, is using warm salt water. Keep it in your mouth for 5-10 minutes and slosh it around your teeth/gums.

All the other recommendations by the above members are pretty good too and no doubt, your dentist should be able to recommend something which will help.

Archived