Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Mischievous cat,worries

Platinum Member

Mischievous cat,worries

Hi everyone. I have a 2 year old breed cat which is driving me insane. She is really curious by nature and always likes to chew on things, like electronic cables / plants /metal wire /shoe laces/.. The list is endless. Besides that she always gets into closets or when a door to the basement opens, she gets in there. I have to constantly watch my back what she is doing, like she's a little kid you have to keep from doing dangerous stuff.

My vet already advised me to keep an eye on her because the chewing behaviour and other risk taking could be dangerous.

The problem is that she lives with my parents instead of me. Reason: i have a small flat, parents a big house. Since she already nags all day to get out (on a leish - since she is a breed) im afraid she will be very unhappy at my small flat.

BUT my parents dont monitor her behaviour at all. For instance, today i found her locked inside a closet/ attic two times. She chews unedible stuff and they dont see it.

Its driving me crazy that I cant guarantee her safety and my parents refuse to watch her more closely.
    I'm just afraid one day she's going to chew a cable (nearly all cables are covered in plastic protection hoses) or do something else dangerous and hurt herself.

Just looking for some opinions..

Platinum Member
    Also the cat has been medically checked multiple times, no medical issues to her curious and riskful behaviour

What breed is she?

Gold Member
    I think I would rather have her safe in a small place than unsafe in a large place, so I would take her to your home and supply her with lots of toys and scratching posts and such. Or have your parents keep her confined to one part of the house and cat-safe it. She may eventually calm down and grow out of this. My young-ish cat was a lot more active a year or two ago than he is today.

I think the cat should be living in your home not with your parents. A home with lots of toys would hopefully minimize her getting into mischief. There are sprays you can apply to things like wires and cables that make them taste bad but won't hurt her. Ask your vet or pet store about them.

Platinum Member
    That actually is a medical condition. Believe it or not, I saw it on "My Cat From Hell".

The cat will need to be taken to a vet who is familiar with this condition. It CAN be treated.

Not possible to determine accurately due to gravitational lensing.
    Make sure you have good circuit breakers in the house where the cat is (chewing through electrical wires).

You should do that anyway, because mice can do it too.

Is she Bengal?

Platinum Member
    She is birman. What medical condition is that exactly? My vet practice (three vets) are not familiar with it as a medical condition.

I'm afraid if i take her to my place, she'll be very unhappy since the living area is small, I work long days so she wouldn't have a lot of company. I'd consider getting a second cat but also afraid she 'll not like it and she may be even more unhappy.
    Right now at least she has a big house to run around and I sometimes walk her outside.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by melancholy123
    I think the cat should be living in your home not with your parents. A home with lots of toys would hopefully minimize her getting into mischief. There are sprays you can apply to things like wires and cables that make them taste bad but won't hurt her. Ask your vet or pet store about them.
    Hey melancholy, thank you. I too think she should be with me but i'm afraid she'll be unhappy.
    Right now there are loads of cat toys and two big scratching posts, but she doesnt often look at it. The scratching post she loves but the toys go unnoticed even when we play with her. It's like she is bored a lot of the time?

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice