Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscle Loss and Age

Bronze Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Today, I did:

Abs Workout for People who get Bored Easily - 30 min
    Leg Drop Toe Touch - Pretty straightforward
    Plank + Knee - Also straightforward
    Switchfoot Burpee - I think I need to slow this down. I'm already slow, but I need to go slower. I'm all over the place.
    Toe Taps - Another straightforward one
    Walkdown Backbows - New one for me. Not bad.
    Flutterkick - I suck at this. Not only was I slow, but my range of motion was pathetic. Towards the end, my range of motion did increase. But I will have to work on these. I feel like this was something that I was once able to do.
    3 Way Crunch - Kinda easy
    Plank Jack + Leg Raise - Surprisingly not horrible
    3 Butt Kicker Drops - Another one that I should slow down. I don't know if this is a challenging exercise...
    Pilates Saw - Ok. Nice stretch.
    Bird Dog - Straightforward
    Plank - Completed 45 seconds. It sucked.
    Water Break - Totally rocked this.
    Bridge + Toe Touch - This was cool. I think I liked it.
    Plank Up Downs - Tough. I had to go slow on this.
    Jumping Lunges - I think I had to pause in the middle of these, or switch to the easy version. I definitely had to tone it down (I worked out this morning, so my memory fails me)
    Leg Pull - Nice stretch, if nothing else.
    Swimmers - I didn't find these very difficult, but I don't think I was going as fast as she was.
    Russian Twist - I need to increase the difficulty level here, but I am afraid.
    Single Leg Jack Knife - Nice exercise
    Supine Plank + Raises - This is another name for my nemesis, Pilates Leg Pulls (facing up). I am still not good at it. But I did manage to lift each leg twice. Then I just concentrated on maintaining a straight line for the rest of the duration.
    Lateral Jump Squat - Straightforward. Squats are generally pretty easy for me. Well, squats without weight.
    Chasing Toe Taps - A good challenge!
    Backbow Crossover - Not sure what this did, really.

No major aches and pains today, though I do think I may have strained something in my belly doing the last exercise. There may have still been a stitch in my side when I got to work, but all that pain is now gone. As always, it was on my right side. I notice that some exercises are hard and I like them. Other exercises are hard and I dislike them. I think part of my goal will be to start liking the exercises that I don't like.
    Getting up and down between the exercises is a challenge in and of itself.

There was a super long meeting today at work. It was supposed to be three hours, but then they extended it to almost five hours. I put some snacks in a bag to bring with me to the meeting, but I forgot them. I didn't dare go back to my trailer during the meeting, and there were no breaks, so I just sat there and starved. But I didn't go crazy when I got back to the trailer. And now that I am home, I am still perfectly well behaved. I really don't have many cravings on this diet. Although yesterday, they had pizza in the office while I was there. I love pizza. Especially pepperoni pizza. But I resisted!
    Holy hell! I hate working abs and that put me in a tail spin just looking at that. Abs and cardio I despise with a passion, but enjoy beating the log book on lifts each week hitting it heavy. Getting Ready for a First Date

Platinum Member
    Lizard Hops
    Burpee Jacks
    Downward Dog
    U]Modified Pigeon[/U]
    Cobra Pose

I don't know these exercises but I like the names!

You sounds like you don't even need a trainer. I was licensed for awhile and half the trainers I come across are less competent than you sound.

If you are worried about metabolism drop replace some cardio with lower weight resistance training. That along with HIIT workouts and you will boost it a lot.

40 is not old at all. I'm currently training 64 yo dad. He has gone from 270 to 230 in 6 months. With HIIT and low weight kettlebells.

Originally Posted by Jeetsun
    Holy hell! I hate working abs and that put me in a tail spin just looking at that. Abs and cardio I despise with a passion, but enjoy beating the log book on lifts each week hitting it heavy.
    They're only 45 seconds each with no repeats. Abs are awful. But I have to admit I do like cardio. Mainly for that high it gives you afterwards.
    One day I would like to start lifting weights again, but I fell like I need to condition my body more. If that makes sense.

Originally Posted by dias
    I don't know these exercises but I like the names!
    All but the first two are yoga moves.

Originally Posted by thealchemist
    You sounds like you don't even need a trainer. I was licensed for awhile and half the trainers I come across are less competent than you sound.
    Aw shucks. Thanks

Originally Posted by thealchemist
    If you are worried about metabolism drop replace some cardio with lower weight resistance training. That along with HIIT workouts and you will boost it a lot.
    Ok, I will try that soon.

When I woke up this morning, I was exhausted. So, I slept in and didn't exercise.

Not sure why I was so tired. Could be the diet. Could be the fact that I moved a bunch of stuff out of my mom's basement yesterday (though I didn't feel like that was a huge effort).

The diet is not terribly challenging. After the first week of cleansing, my cravings for food have disappeared and I sometimes even forget about eating. I have missed meals as a result, which could be why I sometimes feel tired in the morning.

When I got home today, I took a couple of minutes to go through some of the exercises that I am bad at:

10 Min Abs Workout
    Pilates Leg Pulls (supine) - This time I did more of a bridge than a plank. One thing that bugs me out about this exercise is that lifting one leg puts pressure on my other knee when I'm in the supine plank position. So this time, I bent my knees and extended my legs from that position. It was much easier to keep pace with the instructor this way, but I am not sure if I'm really doing the exercise. I just re-tried it now and noticed that if I rest more of my lower leg on the ground (not just my heel) it relieves pressure from my knee. Next time, I will try this way.

10 Minute No Equipment Upper Body Workout
    Triceps Dip Kicks - Once again, I found that I could raise my legs, but not my arms. So after the first couple of reps, I concentrated on raising my arms only, which I found was possible when I wasn't thinking about raising my legs at the same time.

Bronze Member
    They're only 45 seconds each with no repeats. Abs are awful. But I have to admit I do like cardio. Mainly for that high it gives you afterwards.
    One day I would like to start lifting weights again, but I fell like I need to condition my body more. If that makes sense.

All but the first two are yoga moves.
    That makes sense. You can't show a muscled body without proper conditioning. To boot, there's many benefits to doing cardio, increased metabolism, increased endurance, etc.

Well listen to your body. If you want to just stay cardio then do that. I bring up the resistance because with weight loss cardio is great but it is a double edged sword. As you do cardio your body adjusts and becomes extremely efficient. You use much less calories to do the same workout. So more time needs to be invested if you want the same amount of caloric burn.

Also cardio shifts your metabolism to mostly glycogen reserves. When this happens you get a burst of energy but you will have a much larger hunger spike because of this depletion.

Weights with walking keeps your body using a much higher percent of metabolic energy from your fat reserves. You won't feel the need to eat as much food. Also muscle gained from resistance as opposed to lean cardio muscle is much less efficient. So it burns more calories for some amount of work.

A mix is the best though. Your HIIT serves a similar purpose to resistance isn't a must especially if you just feel like heavy cardio. I always preach "listen to your body".

I do intend to lift weights. And when I do, I'll definitely try combining it with HIIT. But first I'm going to take my time getting into shape. I'm not sure how long it will take. I just have to feel the right stability first. If that makes sense. I'm actually doing some strength training now. I'm just using body weight instead of free weights.

I slept in again yesterday and skipped my workout. So I felt like a guilty piece of poo all day.

I didn't exercise all day, but towards the end of the evening I spontaneously attempted the Triceps Dip-Kicks and managed to get both my hands and feet off the ground! My boyfriend was impressed and tried it himself. He got it the first time, but admitted it was hard.

I always feel mildly disgruntled when boys beat me at something. When anyone beats me, actually. I am competitive. But I am also a good sport and ultimately find it motivating, even if I never, ever prevail.

Today I walked a half mile, jogged a mile, then walked another half mile. My original intention was to jog two quarter miles. But I felt like that was so boring. I want to go slow, but that seemed too slow. So I did the full mile at a slow pace. Paid attention for nagging aches and pains, but there were none. Just some transient pangs that worked their way through and disappeared. The thing about jogging is that even when it's slow, it forces your muscles to contract at every step. So even a slow pace pays dividends. I'll be feeling good all day because of this.
    Today I repeated the walk/jog sequence. Slow pace, again. I figure about 12-13 minutes. I dusted off my fitbit (literally) and wore it, but it didn't properly identify the exercise. That's annoying. Fortunately, I checked the times myself. I didn't have too many aches or pains, despite not exercising these last few days. I wasn't terrible stiff, but I don't have the best range of motion. I focused on elongating my strides. When my heart rate starts to decrease at that pace, I'll think about raising my knees as I jog.

Last night two little girls were jumping around and running outside, under my window. When I was that age, I never understood how grown ups didn't have energy. It's more like a feeling of heaviness than anything else. On the track today, I remembered the girls. I imagined being lighter, and that actually helped. My horseback riding instructor had a trick like that for sitting the trot. She said, "imagine there's a string attached to the top of your head, lifting you straight up."

I feel a nice warmth in my joints. That's me getting stronger. I just need to be patient.

Page 5 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice