Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscle Loss and Age

I've been working out and eating a very healthy starch-based, whole foods diet with no meat, dairy, or oil. I think I'm slowly getting my stamina back but I used to feel really agile, spry, and sure-footed. I don't think I'll ever get that back, at least not to what it once was. Getting Ready for a First Date

Originally Posted by Krankor
    I just turned 40 a couple of months ago. My strength and power and muscle mass (it's said those things are the last to go) have held out really well but my speed, agility, and stamina definitely aren't quite what they used to be. Both of my achilles tendons are garbage now (I already tore the left one and had surgery to repair it; it's only a matter of time before the other goes) and that fact isn't helping. But my arms and quads are actually bigger and stronger than they were in my 20s.
    I find that I am stiffer than I used to be and need to warm up before exercising. Of course, you're always supposed to warm up before exercising, but 10 years ago it was easier to get away without warming up.

I've always had issues with my achilles tendons. Fortunately, no ruptures. But I do have to be careful to do high-impact exercise (like running) in moderation.

Your arm looks very familiar to me. Do I know you?

Just kidding.

Originally Posted by Krankor
    I've been working out and eating a very healthy starch-based, whole foods diet with no meat, dairy, or oil. I think I'm slowly getting my stamina back but I used to feel really agile, spry, and sure-footed. I don't think I'll ever get that back, at least not to what it once was.
    I also benefit from a lot of carbohydrates. But I do eat fats and oil. Right now, I am not eating meat. But I will slowly start to add that back once I feel like my metabolism is back on track. It's crazy how eating garbage food -- even a little of it -- can knock you off course and stir up cravings and bad habits.

The front of my right thigh was painful this morning, as was (for some reason) my left elbow. That elbow actually hurt a few days ago during some plank walk-downs, but I hadn't heard from it since.

Today I did a mile and a half walk interspersed with 880 yards of sprints. When I got home, I took a couple of minutes to practice some exercises that I have trouble with:

Pilates Leg Pulls (facing up) - I can now lift each leg, but it does compromise my plank. I spent some time just concentrating on keeping the plank straight.
    Triceps Dip Kicks - Wrist still hurts, can still get each leg off the ground, but hands are still nailed down. I'm going to try with a chair, next time.

I cooked my whole week's worth of food yesterday, as I am wont to do when dieting. Day 2 was a little harder. I'm already sick of onions. Why in the world did I use so many onions? My whole apartment smells like an onion. I smell like an onion. My boyfriend smells like an onion. This morning, he came back from the gym early because he smelled like onion and started to feel self-conscious about it. LOL. I'm lucky I work on a construction site!

On Tuesday night, I fell asleep very early. Slept nine hours. Didn't exercise.

Could be the diet making me so tired. Weird thing is I haven't cut any calories yet. I miscalculated for the week, so I was still eating 2200 calories per day! So maybe it's the transition to different foods. Who knows? It's temporary, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

I fell asleep pretty deeply last night, too. Slept about 7 hours but felt great this morning. I fixed that part of my diet that I screwed up.We'll see how that goes today.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    On Tuesday night, I fell asleep very early. Slept nine hours. Didn't exercise.

Could be the diet making me so tired. Weird thing is I haven't cut any calories yet. I miscalculated for the week, so I was still eating 2200 calories per day! So maybe it's the transition to different foods. Who knows? It's temporary, so I'm not terribly worried about it.

I fell asleep pretty deeply last night, too. Slept about 7 hours but felt great this morning. I fixed that part of my diet that I screwed up.We'll see how that goes today.
    These two relate from my experience. When I eat more than I need even if it's a surplus of 200 calories(per day) I feel extremely tired and I tend to sleep more. I feel sleepy even during the day and I feel "heavy" even if I am at 9% body fat going to 10/11%. I don't know why extra calories have this effect(on me).

When I cut or stay at the same caloric intake I have more energy despite sleeping less. Again, I don't know why.

Originally Posted by dias
    These two relate from my experience. When I eat more than I need even if it's a surplus of 200 calories(per day) I feel extremely tired and I tend to sleep more. I feel sleepy even during the day and I feel "heavy" even if I am at 9% body fat going to 10/11%. I don't know why extra calories have this effect(on me).

When I cut or stay at the same caloric intake I have more energy despite sleeping less. Again, I don't know why.
    Yes, very counterintuitive.

But I've experienced tiredness when cutting calories, too.

It's a mystery.

Today, I did:

Abs Workout for People who get Bored Easily - 30 min
    Leg Drop Toe Touch - Pretty straightforward
    Plank + Knee - Also straightforward
    Switchfoot Burpee - I think I need to slow this down. I'm already slow, but I need to go slower. I'm all over the place.
    Toe Taps - Another straightforward one
    Walkdown Backbows - New one for me. Not bad.
    Flutterkick - I suck at this. Not only was I slow, but my range of motion was pathetic. Towards the end, my range of motion did increase. But I will have to work on these. I feel like this was something that I was once able to do.
    3 Way Crunch - Kinda easy
    Plank Jack + Leg Raise - Surprisingly not horrible
    3 Butt Kicker Drops - Another one that I should slow down. I don't know if this is a challenging exercise...
    Pilates Saw - Ok. Nice stretch.
    Bird Dog - Straightforward
    Plank - Completed 45 seconds. It sucked.
    Water Break - Totally rocked this.
    Bridge + Toe Touch - This was cool. I think I liked it.
    Plank Up Downs - Tough. I had to go slow on this.
    Jumping Lunges - I think I had to pause in the middle of these, or switch to the easy version. I definitely had to tone it down (I worked out this morning, so my memory fails me)
    Leg Pull - Nice stretch, if nothing else.
    Swimmers - I didn't find these very difficult, but I don't think I was going as fast as she was.
    Russian Twist - I need to increase the difficulty level here, but I am afraid.
    Single Leg Jack Knife - Nice exercise
    Supine Plank + Raises - This is another name for my nemesis, Pilates Leg Pulls (facing up). I am still not good at it. But I did manage to lift each leg twice. Then I just concentrated on maintaining a straight line for the rest of the duration.
    Lateral Jump Squat - Straightforward. Squats are generally pretty easy for me. Well, squats without weight.
    Chasing Toe Taps - A good challenge!
    Backbow Crossover - Not sure what this did, really.

No major aches and pains today, though I do think I may have strained something in my belly doing the last exercise. There may have still been a stitch in my side when I got to work, but all that pain is now gone. As always, it was on my right side. I notice that some exercises are hard and I like them. Other exercises are hard and I dislike them. I think part of my goal will be to start liking the exercises that I don't like.
    Getting up and down between the exercises is a challenge in and of itself.

There was a super long meeting today at work. It was supposed to be three hours, but then they extended it to almost five hours. I put some snacks in a bag to bring with me to the meeting, but I forgot them. I didn't dare go back to my trailer during the meeting, and there were no breaks, so I just sat there and starved. But I didn't go crazy when I got back to the trailer. And now that I am home, I am still perfectly well behaved. I really don't have many cravings on this diet. Although yesterday, they had pizza in the office while I was there. I love pizza. Especially pepperoni pizza. But I resisted!

Today I walked a half mile, jogged a mile, then walked another half mile. My original intention was to jog two quarter miles. But I felt like that was so boring. I want to go slow, but that seemed too slow. So I did the full mile at a slow pace. Paid attention for nagging aches and pains, but there were none. Just some transient pangs that worked their way through and disappeared. The thing about jogging is that even when it's slow, it forces your muscles to contract at every step. So even a slow pace pays dividends. I'll be feeling good all day because of this.

It was slow-going this morning. I felt reluctant to exercise at all. But I'm glad I did, because there will likely be no time tomorrow and it would make me feel bad not to have exercised.

Today I did:

Fast HIIT Cardio Workout to Boost Metabolism - 5 min, 15 min total
    They say to do this 4 - 6 times per day, 3-4 times per week. Maybe one day that will happen for me, but for now I plan to do it 3 times per day on Saturdays (or Sunday). It's only two exercises, but it's quite intense. Plus, it goes very fast and can easily be broken up throughout the day.

I think the best way to measure these exercises is through range of motion and speed. I can track speed as reps, and then compare those reps to the instructor's reps. Eventually, I will count my reps and track my pulse. But for now, I'm just trying to get the movements down.

Lizard Hops - For me, this is the toughest of the two exercises. If I go fast, I can't get my hips down as far as I'm supposed to. If I get my hips down far enough, I must then go quite slow. But this is ok, because it still gets my heart rate going, and at the end of the third set, my upper thighs started to whisper of failure. Plus, by going slow I am going through the correct range of motion with the proper form. In other words, I am hitting all the marks and it doesn't matter that I lumber like a rhinoceros while the instructor leaps like a lizard. Something to be careful of is straining my groin muscles with all of the leg switches.

Burpee Jacks - Not horrible, though I am surely going half the speed of the instructor. One thing that I need to concentrate on is keeping my arms directly below my shoulders with elbows slightly bent. I tend to have them slightly splayed out in front of me.

After each five minute interval, I took time to cool down completely and get a little rest. It probably took over an hour for me to complete all 15 minutes of exercises.

I measured my pulse during the third iteration, once during the break (168 bpm) and again at completion (174 bpm). My max heart rate should supposedly be somewhere between 126 and 153, so I guess I can tone it down a bit. I think my movements slowed down quite a lot between the first half and the second, but apparently my level of exertion increased.

Fitness Blender Cool Down Workout - 13.5 min
    Toe Touch Stretch
    Inside Thigh Stretch
    Wide Toe Touch
    Quads Stretch
    Hip Flexor Stretch + Arm Cross Pull
    Triceps Stretch
    Downward Dog
    Downward Dog with Leg Lifts/ Hip Openers - One side seems much less flexible than the other. This is probably from a fall I took from a horse 13 years ago.
    Plank Calf Stretch - I pretty much cheated on the plank
    Modified Pigeon
    Cobra Pose
    Child's Pose
    Deep Glute Stretch
    Torso Twist
    Full Body Stretch - Bizarrely, I started to have muscle spasms in my mid-back

I wasn't going to list the exercises on the cool down, but some were challenging so now it's a thing.
    After completing all of my exercises I become suddenly ravenous and needed to eat immediately, which I did.

I'm in the midst of preparing my meals for next week. I spent WAAAAAAY less money this week, and my menu will thankfully be a lot less complicated.

All week, I've been losing weight, which is not unusual. I typically gain a little from my weekend binges then lose it during the course of the week. However, since I literally gained five pounds last weekend, I was kind of hoping to lose beyond five pounds with this being a diet and all. Fortunately, the diet has not been awful (possibly because I've been eating too much). During the last few days, and especially today, I've noticed a drop in my appetite. So maybe in the coming days I will start to lose a little real weight.

Someone is cooking hot dogs. I WANT A HOT DOG!!!

GAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

Page 4 of 36 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Videos

Divorced Parents Prefer Technology and Social Media As Communication Tool

Wedding Jitters Could Be a Predictor for a Future Divorce

Botox Fights Depression And Makes You Feel Happier

Men Are More Sensitive than Women when Having Relationship Problems

Friendship Between Men and Women Often Involves Attraction

Infidelity
Give Advice
Ask For Advice