LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscle Loss and Age

Originally Posted by dias
    Jibralta i suggest doing some fast pace calisthenic/aerobic exercises . It's not that you will gain muscle but it will be enough for maintaining your muscle mass until you hit the gym again . Given that you workout regularly i am sure you know a good variety of aerobic/calisthenic routines.
    I do. I should be doing them. Just an exercise here, an exercise there. It doesn't have to be a big time commitment.

I have finally started exercising again. It feels good, even though I am starting slow. I began a few weeks ago by getting up early and walking a couple of miles. Then I added intervals of jogging. Then I replaced the jogging with sprints. But, you know, that gets boring after a while. And I want to lift weights. So I looked around for a personal trainer, but DAMN the prices have shot up!!

So, I've had to take matters into my own hands. I've been doing free work out videos on Youtube. Mainly From the Fitness Blender site. They have some short videos that target certain muscle groups, so it allows me to mix it up. They also have no-equipment work outs, which is good because that will allow me to condition my muscles before I add weights. It is really, really important to me to start slow. I'm saying that over and over again because I usually get ahead of myself and that leads to strain. I already have some tightness in my hamstring and inner thigh. Stretching is good, but it will not repair injuries incurred through overexertion.

Last week, I completed a Low Impact Beginner Cardio Workout twice (in addition to other videos and walk/sprints). Overall, it was very easy and I felt a little silly even doing it. But there were some areas where I felt a challenge. For example, the Walkdown + Knee Down was a little tough the first time, as was the Single Leg Push-Up. But the second time I felt a marked improvement, so that was encouraging. I think the Bridge + Leglift may still be a challenge. Will have to see next time.

Today, I completed the Fast HIIT Cardio Workout, which was five minutes. Then I did a Low Impact HIIT Workout, which was 7 minutes. Then I did the Mixed Martial Arts HIIT workout, which was about 12 minutes. I wrapped it up with a 13-minute stretch & cooldown video. I didn't mean to work out that long. The fast HHIT Cardio Workout had this thing called Lizard Hops. Took me a couple of times hurting my hands before I realized it's mostly leg. Then were burpee jacks (which, after Crossfit Burpees where you have to do a full push-up and then jump up, seemed like a walk in the park (but still sucked)). The Low Impact one was a little too easy. But maybe I can add to that somehow. The MMA workout was definitely beyond me in some areas, so I will have to work on that. SLOWLY.

I am also starting a three-week diet on Monday to kick my metabolism back into gear. I hate telling people that I am going on a diet because I inevitable get the "but you're thin" argument. Yes, I know I'm thin. But I've gained weight. Five or ten pounds isn't all that much, but if I gain five or ten pounds a year for a number of years, it will be a lot. And it's harder to lose weight as I get older. So, yes, it needs to be addressed. I don't like telling people, but I do tell them because I want them to understand why I can't have that coffee, and why I don't want a cookie or a cracker or pizza or whatever. It's not you, it's me.

Platinum Member
    Why do you need a personal trainer?

I don't need one. I enjoy having one because they plan the workouts and then they stand there and make me move. But really, it's stuff I can do by myself.

Silver Member
    A month of inactivity will generally cause muscle loss in anybody. Its your lifestyle, not your age. The human body was designed to be regularly active, a month of inactivity is not natural. Try and do a little everyday, with rest days after intense work outs. A little on a regular basis can go a long way.

40 is not old, your still in your prime but must take more care than in your 20's as your body might have accumulated wear and tear over the years.

Yes, I recently read somewhere that you can still build muscle effectively even into your 60s. I was very glad to see that. But I still think the rate of muscle loss is faster now that I am 40. I've had my body all of these years; I can tell. Fortunately for me, I build strength and muscle very quickly. And now that my schedule is less burdened by other things, I can concentrate more on exercise.

Yesterday, we lived it up in preparation of our impending diets. Fully gorged ourselves with Indian food at my friend's co-ed baby shower. Then ordered pizza and housed a pint of ice cream each. Yeah, nothing like gaining five pounds the night before starting your diet!

Anyway, diet is in full swing today and so far, so good. Took a half hour to exercise.

I have some tightness in my right calf. The tightness always seems to be in the right side of my body. The pain in my butt and inner thigh has subsided somewhat, but I did feel a slight twinge in my inner thigh during the Pilates Leg Pulls (facing down)

Quick Sweat Cardio Workout - 8 minutes
    Delayed Pendulum Hops - No issue once I got the order down
    2 Hooks, 2 Upper Cuts, and 2 Jacks - need to work on coordination. I keep messing up the order.
    Lateral Cross Lunges - No muscle burn but may have robbed me of my wind
    4 Jack Steps and 2 Crossover Jumps - Had to catch my breath on this one. May have been due to lateral cross lunges previous.
    Lateral Burpees - Didn't have room for the lateral portion. Just did burpees. Maybe I'll do three jumps in between next time. Or something.
    Running Man Kicks - Too easy, really
    2 Hop Squats - No issues. No muscle burn, though.
    Side Lunges and 2 Jacks - Nice exercise.

10 Min Abs Workout - 10 minutes
    Scissor Kicks - slow, range of motion limited at first but increased at end
    Reaching Oblique Crunch - no issues, can probably increase speed.
    Pilates Side Hip Raises - 20 - 23 each side, slow. not sure if I have the full range of motion.
    Russian Twists - Slow, should probably increase speed even if it means coming up a little
    Toe Touch Crunches - no issues, can probably increase speed.
    Pilates Leg Pulls (facing down) - a good challenge especially across the front. TWINGE in inner thigh.
    Pilates Leg Pulls (facing up) - holy sh*t I can't do these!It's all I can do to maintain the plank position. When I attempt to raise a leg, I collapse.
    Pilates Toe Taps - a nice challenge
    Knee Tuck Crunches - No issues

10 Minute No Equipment Upper Body Workout - 10 Minutes
    Walkdown & Shoulder Slaps - No issues. Nice exercise.
    Backbow Pulls - No issues. Not very challenging. Seems kind of pointless.
    Biceps Curls Pulses - Not very challenging, but good preparation for weight lifting.
    Travelling Rows - Not very challenging, but good preparation for weight lifting.
    Push up and Reach - My push ups are modified. Can just start to get leg off ground, but barely.
    Triceps Dip Kicks - These are very challenging for me. I can get my leg off the ground, but not my hand. They hurt my wrists, so it's going to be difficult to practice. I'l have to figure out how to modify this because I do want to accomplish the movement.
    Arm Circles - nice burn at the end.
    Overhead Press - Not very challenging, but good preparation for weight lifting.
    Bent Over Row and Extension - Not very challenging, but good preparation for weight lifting.
    Palm Presses - Not sure what the point is, really.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    Yesterday, we lived it up in preparation of our impending diets. Fully gorged ourselves with Indian food at my friend's co-ed baby shower. Then ordered pizza and housed a pint of ice cream each. Yeah, nothing like gaining five pounds the night before starting your diet!
    Nice word. Useful to know it

It is strange that before the start of a diet we gorge ourselves, isn't it? Maybe it's because we think "ok if I am going to suffer the next period let's indulge myself first" !

Originally Posted by dias
    Maybe it's because we think "ok if I am going to suffer the next period let's indulge myself first" !
    That's exactly what it is!

I just turned 40 a couple of months ago. My strength and power and muscle mass (it's said those things are the last to go) have held out really well but my speed, agility, and stamina definitely aren't quite what they used to be. Both of my achilles tendons are garbage now (I already tore the left one and had surgery to repair it; it's only a matter of time before the other goes) and that fact isn't helping. But my arms and quads are actually bigger and stronger than they were in my 20s.[IMG] ]

Page 3 of 31 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice