Muscle Loss and Age

I'm not sure what I'm looking for by posting here. Maybe commiseration.

I've lost some strength as I've gotten older. Time goes by faster now, and I don't properly sense how long my periods of inactivity are. Sometimes life gets very busy, and I have to sacrifice the gym routine to accommodate. Within a month of inactivity, I can feel my muscles disappear. Its so creepy.

I feel best when I am in a weight-lifting routine. But when I don't have time to plan, I just spend my time on the treadmill. That's when the muscle loss happens. Now that I am pushing 40, muscle loss actually changes the shape of my body. It's a little scary! It's only a little scary because I am still convinced that I will spring back into shape when I start lifting again next month. But what if that doesn't happen? I guess it will become full scary at that point.

It's been four months since I've lifted weights. It's been four years since I've ridden a horse. A lot of people I know don't consider horseback riding to be a strength-building activity, but it is! it's an awesome core workout, and it works wonder for the legs and butt. I hate to see all of that fading away.

I want my body back!!!!!!!!

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Replies 374
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I didn't notice loss of strength at 40 but I sure am a few months before 50. I think a lot of it is due to my arthritis. I don't have enough strength in my hands to even open a can or bottle but I can still lift stuff like a moose . I think that is muscle left from my military days and the fact I lift toddlers and infants all day long.

I think that is muscle left from my military days and the fact I lift toddlers and infants all day long.

Yeah, I bet that helps.

When I do strength training exercises, it comes back pretty fast. But when I am not doing strength exercises (these last four months), it goes away. I don't remember that happening before.

I've always had good, solid muscle and I've always felt strong. Until lately. It happened so gradually that I didn't notice at first. I just feel a lot softer these days. It's kind of getting to me.

I guess a greater level of maintenance is in order for me.

Muscle loss is pretty rapid after not working out for an even short period of time. I have not worked out for 2 weeks (gym was closed for annual cleaning) and I could feel my pants fitting a little loose in my thigh area. I do a lot of squats and other strength training exercise and I am now in pain this week, from not working out for the past two weeks. The pain is a result of me not using those muscles.

So yes, once those muscles are not in use they seem to shrink, and hence the muscle loss. The way to combat it is to get back in the gym, or get back on the horse...so to speak and continue to try to build up from where you left off, albeit slower. It takes sometime to work up to the level...or close to where you once was.

Determination and passion will get you there.

I just turned 60. The 50s look cute next to this. In my 20s, I was that chick who rocked the tiniest of bikini's at the beach. I was a gym rat with a body like a greyhound. Now I more closely resemble a basset hound. I love being older, though. All those worries and insecurities have vanished and I love myself and my life much more. It's a trade off.

Well OP. I'm 26, so nowhere near as old as any of you. I'm NOT suffering from muscle loss, but I do have problems with the aches and pains!!! I spent 16 years in martial arts and I think it's taken a toll on my body. I think 26 is like 36 in karate years.

I have a herniated disc in my lower back. My back hurts in two other new locations as well.I think I have tennis elbow in both arms from punching all those years. My right knee hurts bending it certain ways anymore and now recently I've started having serious foot-pain issues. I'm not a doctor but I would bet any money I have plantar fasciitis. My heels absolutely kill me, I also have no arches left on my feet from all the barefoot karate training.

Regardless of all the injuries, I just keep on moving. OP, the worst thing you can ever do it stop! I know guys in their 70's still doing karate! There's always going to be something; muscle loss like you have, aches and pains, etc. The most you can do is just keep moving. It will save your life, trust me. My mother is currently in SICU after a very dangerous stomach operation. They said she's very lucky she survived the surgery. I think it's because I made her stay active, even with her condition/age (she had a very bad hiatal hernia but that wasn't an excuse to stop moving I told her). I told her don't stop moving. Go to the grocery store if you want a walk, do something simple. I even had her lifting 2lb weights at one time. I think it saved her life. If she was a couch potato she would probably be dead. You can't let that stuff get to you. Exercise has been show 100% to slow down aging. Just keep moving!

Hi Jibralta,

You sound like you have a rocking body anyway, especially for not being 21! I am sure it would put most to shame! While you can't do your usual weight routine, why don't you try other things? Small hand weights, walking, squats? I wouldn't get too caught up on it - you'll get yourself back with a bit of motivation. Ageing happens to us all and it's the worst - I refuse to age and thats just that, HA!

I think things naturally shift as we age. When we are 16, we can eat anything, when we are 25, suddenly weight creeps on easier, 35 - hello beer belly if you're not too careful. Aches and pains, etc. Keeping fit, getting plenty of sleep and eating well are fantastic remedies to all of this. And a positive mind set!

Have you tried alternative things to make you feel better in the meantime? Like a pamper at the spa, treating yourself to some new make-up, a different hair cut or some new clothes?

You'll be back pumping iron in no time I'm sure!

Lo x

I think I have tennis elbow in both arms from punching all those years.

I understand. Karate absolutely ruined my wrists. No push-ups anymore, and planks have to be modified. And no more punching, ever.

Also, if I run for any extended period of time, my feet and ankles kill me. That's very annoying, because I enjoy the runner's high and the elliptical trainer just doesn't get me there.

I agree that I have to keep moving. I've experienced firsthand the healing effects of exercise. It's just very frustrating when life's events compete with the time that I have for exercise. I'm dying to get back.

You sound like you have a rocking body anyway, especially for not being 21! I am sure it would put most to shame!

Very sweet of you, thanks

I have been pretty careful over the years to stay active and keep my weight down-- oh boy, that's another thing that happened: I can't eat NEARLY as much as I used to! I forgot to mention it here, I guess because I finally bit the bullet last year and committed to eating less. Old news, lol. But boy, was it a struggle!! Especially because it seemed to happen all at once: One day I bit into a hamburger and gained 15 lbs.

But that's what I've been doing to compensate for my lack of gym time: dieting. It's probably what is making me feel like a limp noodle.

And no, I haven't been pampering myself. I just can't commit to the time, but you're probably right; I should do it.

yikes...I'm 32...is this what I have to look forward to in a few years? D'oh!

I once didn't do the gym for like 3 months, but somehow didn't lose much and got back to where I was (lifts/strength wise) pretty quickly. I think it's because my body type tends to gain weight easily. It's a blessing in that it's easy for me to put on and maintain muscle...but if I don't work out and watch my diet, I can also get fat. So genetics are likely involved to, as well as age.

The thing is the body was engineered to last 60 years max. It's only modern medicine and better nutrition that has made it last longer. Now people are living 80,90 , hundred years which the body was never meant to do. So yeah 45, 50 you're going to see the drop in energy and the drop in muscle mass unless you do major things to stop the ageing process. Even if you do you're still going to feel age.

Jibralta i suggest doing some fast pace calisthenic/aerobic exercises . It's not that you will gain muscle but it will be enough for maintaining your muscle mass until you hit the gym again . Given that you workout regularly i am sure you know a good variety of aerobic/calisthenic routines.

yikes...I'm 32...is this what I have to look forward to in a few years? D'oh!

I once didn't do the gym for like 3 months, but somehow didn't lose much and got back to where I was (lifts/strength wise) pretty quickly. I think it's because my body type tends to gain weight easily. It's a blessing in that it's easy for me to put on and maintain muscle...but if I don't work out and watch my diet, I can also get fat. So genetics are likely involved to, as well as age.

I'm always amazed at how quickly I gain strength and increase endurance. It is heartening to know that it will probably still be the case for me when I get back to working out. However, I can't properly focus on strength training until the beginning of September. Until then, I am just going to have to deal with feeling like a weakling, which is something I'm not used to and strongly dislike. But I do think my strength will come back. I just have to stay on it for the rest of my life, I guess.

Being a man, you may not see the same degree of muscle loss with age, though it will probably happen if you become sedentary.

The thing is the body was engineered to last 60 years max. It's only modern medicine and better nutrition that has made it last longer. Now people are living 80,90 , hundred years which the body was never meant to do. So yeah 45, 50 you're going to see the drop in energy and the drop in muscle mass unless you do major things to stop the ageing process. Even if you do you're still going to feel age.

That's a good point. Reminds me of a Greek (I think) myth I once read, where a goddess (or demi-goddess?) grants her lover eternal life, but forgets to grant him eternal youth, so the poor guy just shrivels and shrivels until he turns into a cricket.

I hope that doesn't happen to me.

Jibralta i suggest doing some fast pace calisthenic/aerobic exercises . It's not that you will gain muscle but it will be enough for maintaining your muscle mass until you hit the gym again . Given that you workout regularly i am sure you know a good variety of aerobic/calisthenic routines.

I do. I should be doing them. Just an exercise here, an exercise there. It doesn't have to be a big time commitment.

• 9 months later...

I have finally started exercising again. It feels good, even though I am starting slow. I began a few weeks ago by getting up early and walking a couple of miles. Then I added intervals of jogging. Then I replaced the jogging with sprints. But, you know, that gets boring after a while. And I want to lift weights. So I looked around for a personal trainer, but DAMN the prices have shot up!!

So, I've had to take matters into my own hands. I've been doing free work out videos on Youtube. Mainly From the Fitness Blender site. They have some short videos that target certain muscle groups, so it allows me to mix it up. They also have no-equipment work outs, which is good because that will allow me to condition my muscles before I add weights. It is really, really important to me to start slow. I'm saying that over and over again because I usually get ahead of myself and that leads to strain. I already have some tightness in my hamstring and inner thigh. Stretching is good, but it will not repair injuries incurred through overexertion.

Last week, I completed a Low Impact Beginner Cardio Workout twice (in addition to other videos and walk/sprints). Overall, it was very easy and I felt a little silly even doing it. But there were some areas where I felt a challenge. For example, the Walkdown + Knee Down was a little tough the first time, as was the Single Leg Push-Up. But the second time I felt a marked improvement, so that was encouraging. I think the Bridge + Leglift may still be a challenge. Will have to see next time.

Today, I completed the Fast HIIT Cardio Workout, which was five minutes. Then I did a Low Impact HIIT Workout, which was 7 minutes. Then I did the Mixed Martial Arts HIIT workout, which was about 12 minutes. I wrapped it up with a 13-minute stretch & cooldown video. I didn't mean to work out that long. The fast HHIT Cardio Workout had this thing called Lizard Hops. Took me a couple of times hurting my hands before I realized it's mostly leg. Then were burpee jacks (which, after Crossfit Burpees where you have to do a full push-up and then jump up, seemed like a walk in the park (but still sucked)). The Low Impact one was a little too easy. But maybe I can add to that somehow. The MMA workout was definitely beyond me in some areas, so I will have to work on that. SLOWLY.

I am also starting a three-week diet on Monday to kick my metabolism back into gear. I hate telling people that I am going on a diet because I inevitable get the "but you're thin" argument. Yes, I know I'm thin. But I've gained weight. Five or ten pounds isn't all that much, but if I gain five or ten pounds a year for a number of years, it will be a lot. And it's harder to lose weight as I get older. So, yes, it needs to be addressed. I don't like telling people, but I do tell them because I want them to understand why I can't have that coffee, and why I don't want a cookie or a cracker or pizza or whatever. It's not you, it's me.

A month of inactivity will generally cause muscle loss in anybody. Its your lifestyle, not your age. The human body was designed to be regularly active, a month of inactivity is not natural. Try and do a little everyday, with rest days after intense work outs. A little on a regular basis can go a long way.

40 is not old, your still in your prime but must take more care than in your 20's as your body might have accumulated wear and tear over the years.

Archived