LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Muscle Loss and Age

Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    I'm on the elliptical trainer for 45 minutes to 1 hr every other day.
    I am actually starting a program like this this morning. My back has been awful. First it was my upper and lower back; now it seems to be only my lower back. Chiropractor seems to think it's related to that little car accident from December. My lower back hasn't felt this awful in 20 years. I almost have to roll out of bed to get up.

Needless to say, I haven't been to Crossfit in weeks. The most I've been doing is horseback riding and a long walk or two after work. In the meantime, I've managed to become heavier than I've ever been before in my life. It's very uncomfortable and also fascinating. Like, How heavy can I actually get? Dare I try for more.....? Seems like this would be the perfect time, as I can't seem to stop eating.....

But I don't dare let that happen (hopefully!). Hence this new treadmill program in lieu of more rigorous exercise. Also, after next weekend, I have cleared my calendar of all but the most obligatory social occasions. I will use that time to diet. BF will be on a diet, too, so that should be helpful.

Platinum Member
    I think it depends how you do the treadmill -speed, level of incline, whether you work out your upper body while doing it, how long, etc. I have always chosen cardio over any other exercise since I only have at most that 30-35 minute block of time daily and I prefer daily to skipping days for various reasons.

Cherlyn I love your advice and doubling my water intake over the last 2 years from about 6 to about 12 glasses daily has greatly improved my health in addition to the cardio.

Last week I was on the treadmill. Literally the only one in my row, in a sea of treadmills. There are like five rows of treadmills in this gym, in a stadium-style configuration so that the rear-most treadmills look down on part of the gym.

I was close to the back, but not in the very last row. I chose a spot on the aisle.

This guy comes in and out of like 40 treadmills decides to take the one directly next to me.

I was like, What is this guy, a magnet? Can't he be by himself? Doesn't he understand personal space?

I looked at him and thought, He could be from another country. Personal space rules are different from place to place.

I still thought it was weird, though.

I considered switching treadmills. I know that can be perceived as rude, but I'm not above doing things like that when my personal space is impinged upon. In fact, when I am really fed up, I will be an in-your-face treadmill-switcher (or whatever) if I have to.

But I held back. I don't know why. Maybe I am becoming more considerate in my old age.

So, everything was fine for about ten minutes. Then the guy next to me started running. Right around the same time, someone walked past me to the row of treadmills behind me. The air stirred with their passage and I caught a whiff of funky cheese. I thought, Oh no. I hope that smell came from the person who just passed, and from this guy next to me.

Backtrack to the first day I started this treadmill program, about two weeks ago. Some guy in the gym smelled SO bad. I couldn't believe it. It was like his foot died and then he wrapped it in rotten cheese and carried it with him to the gym in a dirty sock. I couldn't understand how he didn't realize how bad he smelled.

I never quite figured out who it was. I mean, I pinpointed the location from whence it wafted, but I only sort of glanced in that direction long enough to get the general impression of a guy. I didn't want to get caught staring. I felt that if I allowed myself anything more than a glance it would turn into a slack-jawed stare.

And yes, it was one guy producing that foul smell. I know because there was no one around him within a 20 ft radius.

Fast-forward to the present situation: this smell was not as strong as that smell. It was very unpleasant, but it was faint. I tuned it out and focused on my newspaper.

Maybe another 10 minutes later, the guy turned up his treadmill and ran faster. He started to grunt. Just like one grunt every 30 seconds. But it was enough to distract my attention from my newspaper, back to him. I realized that in addition to the new noise, the funky cheese smell had actually gotten slightly stronger.

I hit my limit of civility. I switched to the farthest possible treadmill in the row, on the other side of the aisle. I did not look back across ALL OF THE EMPTY TREADMILLS to see if he noticed.

The air was sweet in my new spot and I was immediately glad that I moved.
    Last edited by Jibralta; 04-01-2019 at 08:02 PM.

Lol oh my god, too funny.
    I'm like you in the gym. Anywhere really, I'm big on personal space.
    I've settled on the Y after trying multiple places over the years. So cheap, has what I need, and no personal trainers hitting me up while I'm in the gym
    But the characters...!!
    Free entertainment, I guess!?

Originally Posted by itsallgrand
    But the characters...!!
    Free entertainment, I guess!?
    It's better than TV... as long as I have my space.

Platinum Member
    OK - here's my treadmill story. We have a small workout room in my building. Two treadmills next to each other. I've been using that room for 8 years 5-7 times a week. My personal etiquette is to acknowledge the other person, sometimes ask if the main tv needs to be changed to a different channel (to be courteous) and to leave the person alone -people need their space on the treadmill! If I know the person/it's a neighbor-friend I will feel out the situation as to whether they want to chat. My default is they do not.

So, one day recently I got on. I hang my small, worse for wear canvas supermarket bag on the arm of the treadmill as I'm usually coming back from the school bus stop -it has my "stuff" and my water bottle, etc (which I place in the bottle holder). It's small, it hangs feet away from the other treadmill. It makes no noise at all (i.e. doesn't hit anything if it sways) This woman I don't know gets on the other treadmill. She leaves the door to the workout room wide open which is a no no (safety for one thing plus it was very cold in the open air hallway). At least she could have asked. She then stares at my bag: "You bring a supermarket bag here??" I respond (maybe I should have come up with something snarky) with the facts - coming back from bus stop, etc. This wasn't good enough for her -apparently I've broken some unwritten rule about what to hang on a treadmill "arm". ). I just found it so unbelievably rude and even when I "explained" that I have limited time to exercise so I combine it with my school bus stop drop off she looked at me like I had two heads. And I noted her perfect hair. I never understand perfect hair in that situation. But I said nothing.

Luckily I never saw her again.

You're still young. Squeeze in exercise whenever you can despite your busy schedule. Many times I really don't want to exercise but force myself for the mental benefits and whatever it does to the body is gravy. I walk in my neighborhood daily, cycle in the neighborhood every other day or use the elliptical trainer machine during inclement weather. If I don't workout at least 3 - 4x per week, I too experience muscle loss, weight gain and mentally I feel grumpy and irritable. Also, I have less energy and fatigue easily. Nowadays, I've been exercising and dieting. You have to make your health your top priority. No one can take care of your health except you! Hope you'll get back into your exercise regimen. No pain no gain!

Originally Posted by Batya33
    "You bring a supermarket bag here??"
    lol.

What is it, a shrine? The gym's too good for supermarket bags?

You should have responded, "Yeah. You leave the door open here???"

Originally Posted by Cherylyn
    You're still young. Squeeze in exercise whenever you can despite your busy schedule. Many times I really don't want to exercise but force myself for the mental benefits and whatever it does to the body is gravy. I walk in my neighborhood daily, cycle in the neighborhood every other day or use the elliptical trainer machine during inclement weather. If I don't workout at least 3 - 4x per week, I too experience muscle loss, weight gain and mentally I feel grumpy and irritable. Also, I have less energy and fatigue easily. Nowadays, I've been exercising and dieting. You have to make your health your top priority. No one can take care of your health except you! Hope you'll get back into your exercise regimen. No pain no gain!
    I really agree with you. And I feel it. The strength goes away so fast now. Just a couple months ago, I had this beautiful push-up. Elbows close against my ribs, hands under my shoulders, fingers turned slightly out, legs and back straight as hell. I worked so hard for it. I tried to do one push up like that the other day, and I couldn't! I fall apart before I can even get set up.

My back and neck were really bad for a while but (after dedicating 6 hours per week to the chiropractor) I am finally starting to see real improvement. I've been going to the chiropractor three times a week for the last month and a half. It takes two hours out of my day and when I get home, I'm just wiped out.

It's really frustrating because I want to exercise. Most of all, I want to lift weights. I know that walking is an excellent form of exercise, and I have benefited from it in the past. But I am balking at the idea of walking around my neighborhood (I'm so bored of this place!). I'm also bored of the treadmill at the gym.

I guess I could drive to another neighborhood and walk around there.

Another option would be to just focus on the universal weights at the gym. But I seem have this weird agoraphobia that makes me just want to stay in one place and not draw attention to myself by wandering around. If I'm in a group class, like CrossFit, it's not an issue because I have a set task in front of me and can tune everything else out.

I also don't like making my own workout plans. Especially when I have to go discover what equipment the gym actually has (via wandering). I also hate carrying around the stupid chart and pen/pencil to track what I've done and not done....

Maybe I should just ditch the chart.

The aggravating thing is, as you've pointed out, that lack of exercise makes you less energetic and more fatigued. So at the end of the day, I'm tired. And I don't want to wake up early in the morning.

I'm being really complainy.

It's because I'm frustrated. I want to rush this recovery. But I already tried and I just hurt myself more. So, I have to wait and be annoyed and fat and weak.

Platinum Member
    Originally Posted by Jibralta
    lol.

What is it, a shrine? The gym's too good for supermarket bags?

You should have responded, "Yeah. You leave the door open here???"
    Oh man I wish. Where were you Jibralta when I needed you. Please understand -it's a smallish cloth reusable bag with a floral pattern -probably has the name of the market somewhere. Works for me!

I hope you feel much better soon.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 26272829303132 ... LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice