LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23242526

Thread: Muscle Loss and Age

Originally Posted by mines
    I'm a lot older than you (55) and it's true we don't heal as fast as we get older. I really think it doesn't start to change until 35 or so, if we are in good shape to begin with.
    Yes, I really started to notice it in my mid 30s. But I think there were some signs of slower healing in my early 30s. I just didnít realize what it was.

Originally Posted by mines
    I continue to wish you good healing....please post on your progress!
    Thank you!! Will do.

I went to the trainer on Thursday. At the end of the session, it felt like my arms were gonna explode. However, I did not hurt myself. There is soreness and limited mobility, but that is to be expected. I will keep stretching. I will also skip Crossfit tomorrow to give my arms a chance to recover.

Today I rode a horse named Comanche. I've ridden him twice before. He's amazingly fat and round. He was originally a trail horse, and you can tell why: First, he shuts down if you apply too much force, and second, he is very good at learning routines (mainly so that he can evade the bit).

The first time I rode him, I was still relying on force to compensate for my rusty technique. But force doesn't work. Comanche went around the ring perfectly, but I could tell I wasn't actually making a connection. He just knew what to do and did it. He had basically taken charge of the situation and that's not what I want. I get to call the shots, not him.

At the end of that lesson, he pulled a trick on me: he took it upon himself to turn into the center of the ring. That's something that happens to inexperienced riders. It should not have happened to me, and it certainly shouldn't have happened to me after 45 minutes of riding. Yes, I pretty much knew that I wasn't in control of the horse during the lesson. But it was still a good wake-up call to have the horse prove it to me in such a brazen way. It was almost like he was speaking.

During the week, I thought a lot about what happened in that lesson. I understood how and why my approach had been incorrect. When I rode Comanche again the following Saturday, I approached with finesse rather than force. I had a lot more success. It felt like we were really a team. It was the first time I've felt that way since I started riding again.

Today, I recognized Comanche's routine-learning trick. It also has a lot to do with the way he behaved the first time I rode him. But first some background:

During these lessons we often do an exercise to make sure the horse has contact with and is responding to the bit. When I first did this exercise with Comanche, he was completely resistant. But we practiced it a bunch of times and by the end of the second lesson he'd made obvious improvements.

Then I didn't ride him for a few weeks. Another girl rode him. And she practiced this bit-exercise with him as well.

When I did the exercise with him today, he had the routine down pat. I was amazed at how much he'd learned. Then I realized that he was doing it without instruction from me! He learned that as soon as we stopped moving, I was going to ask him to move his head left, right, and down. So, almost by himself, he moved his head left, right and down.

That's what I mean by "routine-learning." He anticipates my next move so that I don't 'bug' him with the reins or my leg. Minimal interaction. I find that a lot of quarter horses tend to anticipate this way. It's probably what makes them such good cow-horses. But I don't want a cow-horse.

When I realized he was just going through the motions and not actually listening to me, I started switching it up. And BOY did he not like that!! He started moving backwards, trying to dodge into the center of the ring, tossing his head, etc.

He's got the makings of a push-button horse. But he doesn't have a lot of patience for people. I don't blame him, poor guy.

Platinum Member
    Jibralta -I highly recommend the book Half Broke Horses -a novel/memoir (her other book Glass Castles -also awesome -but your description of horse back riding triggered it -I finished the book last week.

Looks interesting, thanks! Will check it out.

oops, wrong thread.

On Thursday, I benched 55 lbs. I did it 22 times. I benched only 35 lbs incline, and then 50 lbs decline. I got about 21 reps on the incline, and probably 27 on the decline. A couple years ago, I was able to bench 85-95 lbs. Probably more, but I didn't want to push it at the time. It's crazy how strength fades. But I do feel it coming back.

Finally!

I still have some soreness in my shoulder, but I have been able to work through it. I am back up to 2x/week with crossfit, 1x with the trainer, and then horseback riding. I will take off two weeks from all exercise during Christmas/New Year to give my body a chance to recover. Then I will resume. I would like to get back up to 3x/week with crossfit.

I don't have regular TV here in my apartment, so I spend my down time watching YouTube videos. I enjoy it a lot more than TV.

Now that I am back riding horses, I find myself honing in on instructional and eventing videos. By far, Elisa Wallace is my favorite. I find most vloggers tiresome because vlogs tend to be thinly-disguised "me-shows". But Elisa somehow manages to vlog without the whole thing being about her.

I first discovered her via one of her POV videos on YouTube. I'd never seen anyone do that with something like cross country. It was rather exhilarating.

Watching her ride, you'd think she was 10 feet tall, made of iron and steel. But in most of her videos she's just this tiny little thing with a quirky, friendly personality.

Her father was a talented cross country rider. You can tell that this is a family affair for them. Like her father, Elisa is focused on competing and gaining sponsors. But she doesn't beat you over the head with that. Instead, she gives you an informal, usually humorous glimpse into her day-to-day life.

Something that I really like about her is that she trains wild mustangs and retired thoroughbred race horses. It's a compassionate move, but I think it is also an excellent way for her to develop as a rider. I mean, she's already great, but there's always room for improvement.

Anyway, this is one of her promotional videos. I'll post one of her father, too. I think it's neat to see the different riding styles. I think he tends to rely much more on strength, whereas she seems to rely more on finesse and body positioning.

Her dad's video is from the early 90s, so it still retains some of that glorious 80s awesomeness. It's an interesting blast from the past both music- and style-wise. Plus, I dig the Chuck-Norris-esque head shot.

I've definitely build some strength in my shoulders, back and arms. I am now able to do kips, which I haven't been able to do since I was a kid.

My shoulder is better. It's still not 100%, but it is close.

My new problem is my back, which I strained. I won't be exercising for the next week or two, so hopefully it will sort itself out. If not, I will need to set up an appointment with the chiropractor.

Platinum Member
    I hope you feel much better soon!!

Happiest of holidays and New Year to you and your family and loved ones.

Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 23242526

Give Advice
Ask For Advice