Work stress - can't leave work at work- home carer

I work with my fiance as a home carer. I love it but have only a small experience with end of life care.

These days I google until the early hours of the morning about life saving methods. I get tired as i'm up late thinking about this and up at 5am.

Feel like i'm losing my mind

I find myself dreaming every night and sometimes wake in tears. I find myself tense and distressed every day as a lot of the clients are in a great deal of pain. I just can't seem to leave the job at work.

I'm am a reasonably strong person but I have only done this job a year so have so much to learn.

I suppose I'm after advice as i'm barely hanging on to realatity, whatever that is!

Thank you

It's very important to maintain boundaries so you don't get burn out. Are there courses or additional training you could attend for this? Counseling may help you to establish and maintain boundaries. How does your fiance handle it?

I work with my fiance as a home carer. These days I google until the early hours of the morning about life saving methods.Feel like i'm losing my mind

Thank you for such a quick response. There is no information at my work on how to deal with this. My fiance says to just let it go but seems a bit fed up from his looks but my brain just feels over loaded. I understand completely where he's coming from. This has been going on for a few weeks on a severe way. I plan on texting management if they have any advice perhaps.

Google 'Cleveland Clinic Caregiving: Recognizing Burnout'. This would be the first step as far as self help. Research self preservation techniques about yourself, not resuscitation methods for clients, etc.

My fiance says to just let it go but seems a bit fed up from his looks but my brain just feels over loaded.

Archived