Current boyfriend/girlfriend

Dougie_D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chiming in as a shorter guy (5'7"), but bulk of my girlfriends have either been my height or an inch or two taller. Current girlfriend is 5'6"ish.

This has strangely been close to my experience. My only serious gfs (one in college and one for 5 years) were both 5'3". But lately I seem to be getting a lot of love from taller women. Dated an actress a short while ago who was 5'8", so she towered over me in heels lol (I'm a little over 5'8"). Girl I just started talking to now is 5'4", which is around my preferred range.

You and I both! I feel like the average height of younger women (maybe below 30?) must be like 5'6" these days. I still edge most of them out, but with heels it's another story. Lol

Yes, I think the generation of women after me are at least 2.5--3 inches taller than me. My own nieces are going to be much much taller than I am. My 14-year-old niece is 5'10" , my 13-year-old niece is 5'8" and my 10-year-old niece is 5'5". But their mother is 6'1". But most women on average I would say are about 3 inches taller than I am. Even a lot of my generation is taller than I am.

I am three inches taller than my fiancé. I am of fairly average height for a woman.

I'll elaborate on this. I'm 5'5" and my fiancé is 5'2", or, as I like to call it, "jockey size". He comes from a country where people are on average quite a bit shorter than in the US, though he is short even compared to the average man in his country (probably more around 5'5"-5'6" as opposed to an average of around 5'10" in the US).

The only serious relationships before were with men 6'2", 6'3" and 6'4" so it was a bit of an adjustment (no kissing on tiptoes!).

I completely understand why many short men in the US feel insecure and self-conscious, because many women here value height so much and list it as a non-negotiable. However, the fact that my fiancé is not self-conscious at all about being short, never makes insecure or self-deprecating comments about it was a huge factor in us dating. One of his nicknames with friends and me is, literally, "shorty" (in a foreign slang). I've been around short men in the past who were just so terribly insecure and touchy that it was a huge turn-off.

So here's my encouragement to the shorter men to love themselves as they are!

I completely understand why many short men in the US feel insecure and self-conscious, because many women here value height so much and list it as a non-negotiable. However, the fact that my fiancé is not self-conscious at all about being short, never makes insecure or self-deprecating comments about it was a huge factor in us dating. One of his nicknames with friends and me is, literally, "shorty" (in a foreign slang). I've been around short men in the past who were just so terribly insecure and touchy that it was a huge turn-off.

So here's my encouragement to the shorter men to love themselves as they are!

I care about it less than I used to, but society and women have done a fine job of making men below, say, 5'10" feel absolutely worthless (at times). But I understand it. Attraction is a sharp knife that cuts both ways (as I always see). I'm not attracted to heavier women, people like what they like.

I'd be curious to know if your fiance on the inside is as really secure with the whole height thing (and being called names) as he seems? I'm not suggesting that he's not, and you're his fiance, you'd know better than anyone. But I know many short men, myself included, who do a good job of portraying that we don't care to the rest of the world, but we're not exactly ok with certain comments. Maybe we won't get bent out of shape the way some guys do (or try to overcompensate), but it can be annoying.

Archived