Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to deal with a bratty dog?

Is it your parents dog? Don't antagonize him, give him treats or play ball outside. Be nice to him and speak calmly. Pet him, take him for walks and feed him. Your anger/angst/hostility exacerbates the situation.
    Originally Posted by TheeAlex
    He growls at me 24/7 and other people. I literally feel like punching him.

I had a collie/lab mix for 16 years growing up. Best dog I've ever encountered. They are playful and full of energy all the time. Do look into obedience classes. Do take him out to the dog park to expend energy. Do NOT hit him or take out your frustrations on him.

Totally agree with the statement that there is no such thing as bad dogs; just bad owners.

Originally Posted by Moontiger
    Keep the dog muzzled. If he bits someone you would be responsible for it. Next, how much exercise is the dog getting? Collies are notoriously high energy dogs. Start taking him on longer walks or even better, runs at LEAST twice a day. Behavioral problems in dogs are often caused by or made much worse by pent up energy. Next, get the dog into an obeidence class.

If you do not have the time to take care of a collie properly and give it the stimulation it needs, then yes, get rid of the dog.
    It's my parents dog. I have my own dog, who behaves really well, the collie even growls at him.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    I had a collie/lab mix for 16 years growing up. Best dog I've ever encountered. They are playful and full of energy all the time. Do look into obedience classes. Do take him out to the dog park to expend energy. Do NOT hit him or take out your frustrations on him.

Totally agree with the statement that there is no such thing as bad dogs; just bad owners.
    I'm not even his owner, he is my parents dog. I have my own dog, he behaves really well. So, I just don't understand why he acts like this. He is 8 years old, my dog is 3 but doesn't act like him.

Originally Posted by Wiseman2
    Is it your parents dog? Don't antagonize him, give him treats or play ball outside. Be nice to him and speak calmly. Pet him, take him for walks and feed him. Your anger/angst/hostility exacerbates the situation.
    Yes, he is their dog. Thanks for the tips, I'll try some of those out.

Originally Posted by catfeeder
    Research dog trainers in your area for help in dealing with the dog. It's a quality of life investment and well worth the assessment from an expert.
    Alright. I'll try this

It's your parents' job to get him to an obedience class, then. They should have done it long ago. Does the dog growls at them, too?

Sound like your parents are not getting him enough exercise .

Originally Posted by Iggy5129
    There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

You didn't train him properly and now you're blaming the dog? Get the dog some training. Dogs need discipline and routine. You've allowed him to become the pack leader and he's putting you in your place.

To everyone suggesting she get rid of the dog: that's pretty cruel. You're going to dump an untrained dog at a shelter?? It will never get adopted. This is the owners fault for being too lazy or ignorant to train their dog.
    He isn't even my dog. My parents bought him in 2012. I have my own dog though, I trained on my own. The collie is 8 years old. My dog is 3, mine used to act just like him but I got him to stop. I tried it with the collie, nothing has worked with him so far.

Originally Posted by WithLove
    It's your parents' job to get him to an obedience class, then. They should have done it long ago. Does the dog growls at them, too?
    He only growls at them once in a while, he is just growling at me and my dog most of the time though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice