Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm afraid of my cat. What do I do?

Platinum Member
    Lower the quality of the food you give her until she starts being grateful and showing some affection. Reward each time she rubs against your leg with an extra piece of chicken. It's the only language they understand.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by dave_1966
    Lower the quality of the food you give her until she starts being grateful and showing some affection. Reward each time she rubs against your leg with an extra piece of chicken. It's the only language they understand.
    I hope you're kidding?????

Gold Member
    I worry that the OP will take that advice. I'm already a bit concerned that she's scared of the cat and keeps questioning if certain behaviors are "normal." No offense, OP. I just hope you will please give the cat some time to adjust.

Originally Posted by lostlove76
    I hope you're kidding?????
    He's being cheeky but in fairness, he has a point. I love my cats but they're selfish ***holes.

Originally Posted by dave_1966
    Hey, some cats LOVE lower quality food, it's like McDonald's for them lol. So, the cat might actually be thrilled with your suggestion!

Platinum Member
    Cats aren't going to be able to reason and come to the conclusion that they should start acting affectionate in order to get better food!

However, you can REWARD good behavior with food.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Maybe try canned cat food to get her to come out and interact and then once she consistently comes out switch to her normal food. Or try canned fish . My cats with spin circles and fly to the moon for the occasional treat of canned fish.

Silver Member
    How is about stop worrying about getting her to come out? She will when she is ready. I think it might be smarter for you to stop going to check on her and going into her room and crouching down to see her -- that makes her nervous, clearly. Instead, show her that you are a perfectly reasonable, non-threatening person. If you are going into the room she is hiding in go in and do something very calm, where you just sit there and don't pay attention to her -- like write, read, watch tv, use a computer -- and do that regularly. After a while, she will come out to see what is going on. If you are sitting in a recliner or a chair without something in your lap, she may come by and sit down on you, she may not. She may sit on your computer keyboard. Giver her a chance.

And if she does come out, don't make any big moves or loud noises or pay a lot of attention. If she wants attention, she will come over and ask for it.

And forget about the cheap food thing -- they are cats, they are animals, they think about themselves and their needs -- they are supposed to. Stop trying to improve the cat's character -- she is already perfect as she is.

Gold Member
    Originally Posted by arjumand
    Stop trying to improve the cat's character -- she is already perfect as she is.
    I love this sentence. SO TRUE!!!

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared
    Originally Posted by arjumand
    How is about stop worrying about getting her to come out? She will when she is ready. I think it might be smarter for you to stop going to check on her and going into her room and crouching down to see her -- that makes her nervous, clearly. Instead, show her that you are a perfectly reasonable, non-threatening person. If you are going into the room she is hiding in go in and do something very calm, where you just sit there and don't pay attention to her -- like write, read, watch tv, use a computer -- and do that regularly. After a while, she will come out to see what is going on. If you are sitting in a recliner or a chair without something in your lap, she may come by and sit down on you, she may not. She may sit on your computer keyboard. Giver her a chance.

And if she does come out, don't make any big moves or loud noises or pay a lot of attention. If she wants attention, she will come over and ask for it.

And forget about the cheap food thing -- they are cats, they are animals, they think about themselves and their needs -- they are supposed to. Stop trying to improve the cat's character -- she is already perfect as she is.
    Absolutely ,this will be on her terms only and she's a perfect cat as she is.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice