Adopted adult cat, now what?

GingerMay

I just adopted an adult cat from a shelter after visiting her a couple times and having a very pleasant experience with her. The shelter said the previous owner died and she was brought in by a family member. All of her medical records were up to date, and I happily brought her home and began to slowly introduce her to her new home. I was very pleased that she ate right away and was curious and seemed to like perching upon a fluffy pillow I bought for her.

After that first day, she went missing in the house. I had still contained her to only a couple rooms so as to not overwhelm her with the entire house, but she found a place to hide. My husband eventually found her hiding in the corner of a closet. We were happy we located her, but left her there to come out when she was ready.

We've been in the area and have seen her, but then she quickly scurries back to her hiding place.

It's only been a few days, but is this normal behavior or do you think this is the cat's true personality? Should I be doing anything differently? I appreciate any advice from cat owners. Thank you.

Aw, good for you for adopting her I think just give her time to adjust and come out when she's ready. It sounds like you're doing everything right. Don't let her outside!! She may not come back, as she's not yet familiar with the area and doesn't associate it with home. I wouldn't say that hiding is her true personality. She's just scared and unsure of things right now because she's in a brand new place. Give it a little time and it will all be okay

Leave an open cardboard around and a large paper bag on it's side. Walk around the house dragging a string. Lie on the floor play-scratching your fingers on the floor. Her curiosity may bring her out to investigate. But give her time.

(The paper bag has been tried and true ice-breaker for cats in my house.)

The good thing about cats is that most of them are social and get bored easily alone. Plus, they are curious creatures, and they just can't resist snooping around and seeing what's going on around them. She is just being shy and scared for now, so just give her plenty of time to adjust to the new surroundings and to see that nothing bad happens. Once she gets familiar with the scents and sounds around her, she'll come around. Don't force her, let her come out on her own accord. She is probably already making herself familiar with the room(s) at night haha.

Sit quietly in the room periodically not saying or doing anything, just reading a book and or reclining on the floor or in a chair. Talk slowly and soothingly, even if you're just reading to yourself. Don't allow loud noises and don't make any sudden moves. This allows the cat time to get used to your smells and to your presence. You can maybe even leave a pillow or other object with your scent on it around in the same room or rooms where the cat hides to get them further used to your smell. Also bring little treats with you and leave those behind when you leave the room.

It can take time, because for cats especially new sights and sounds and smells can be overwhelming. They love their habits, they form close bonds with their humans (in spite of what anyone says most cats are actually very social creatures even if they try to hide it and act all "I don't need you" tough) and adjusting to change can be incredibly hard.

So just stay calm, be quiet, sit in the space and let the cat have a good solid few weeks to get used to things. She will eventually get curious and feel it's safe to come out and peer around then grow bolder as time goes on.

BTW bless you for taking an older cat in, one who lost their home and owner. I do rescues, and always appreciate it when someone wants an older animal since they're typically harder to find new homes for. Your kitty will reveal her personality to you once she feels safe to do so. Even my most traumatized rescue cats will eventually warm up to me, but it takes time, patience and love to let them come to you.

Once they do they typically will reward you with love like no other.

P.S. If you find yourself really stumped I cannot recommend enough that you watch the show "My Cat from Hell." His tips on dealing with difficult cats have given me so many good ideas for handling frightened animals, in general. Not just cats ironically, a lot of the things he recommends work for other animals too. But generally if she came from a loving home she will be fine with the above tips from me and others. Good luck and thank you again for giving this kitty a new home.

Thank you for the sound advice. I have enjoyed "My Cat from Hell" and watched it a few times to prepare myself for cat parenthood. I will continue as you suggest. My husband, bless his heart, did just as you said by sitting quietly a few feet from her and he said she came out of hiding and stepped into his lap, did the head-butting gesture, and kneading. I think (not sure) those gestures signal bonding. Don't know though. Then she went back to her safe zone. I like your line "reward you with love like no other". This should be an interesting venture. Thanks.

Thank you for the sound advice. I have enjoyed "My Cat from Hell" and watched it a few times to prepare myself for cat parenthood. I will continue as you suggest. My husband, bless his heart, did just as you said by sitting quietly a few feet from her and he said she came out of hiding and stepped into his lap, did the head-butting gesture, and kneading. I think (not sure) those gestures signal bonding. Don't know though. Then she went back to her safe zone. I like your line "reward you with love like no other". This should be an interesting venture. Thanks.

awwww, she's saying she likes him!!!

It would be abnormal if the cat weren't struggling with the new environment. You may be able to get away with leaving all the doors open when it comes to a kitten, but full grown cats generally need a certain space they can feel comfortable in and where they can then expand from. A closed door benefits them as they know it's going to have to open before someone enters their space. It's actually a very traumatic experience for grown cats to become exposed to brand new homes. Don't worry about the cat taking its time to get used to thing. The fact it has already come out and shown your guy a lot of affection is a very optimistic sign.

Good luck with everything. It sounds like you're doing a great job so far.

Thank you j.man. We went back on forth whether to open all doors or close them off to allow her to slowly get used to her new environment. My sense of it was that she would do better starting small, then expanding her "space" over time. I guess we'll keep doing what we are. I'm so happy for all the advice on this post. I'm kind of nervous about this. Thanks.

Thank you Shellyf62. Yes, my husband is a treasure. I am so lucky to have him, and I tell him all the time. Really, every day with him is a pleasure.

It touched my heart when he sat quietly with her the first time, having the patience for her to come to him. He checks on her periodically, just sticks his head in over her hiding spot to make sure she's OK. It's cute.

takes a while, I had to move back into my parents house a while back before I could move into my new place and my cat which was about 3 at the time took about 2-3 weeks before actually coming out and walking around. we kept some doors closed, but some we would close but not all the way.

I got my cat as an adult cat too. Actually, I prefer getting an adult cat (or young adult cat) as opposed to a kitten because with an adult cat, you can know what sort of personality they have before you take them home. Kittens can grow up to be awful adults and then you're stuck with them. Adult cats, you can find out what you're getting yourself into.

Definitely just leave her be to explore. She is a little scared but needs to learn her environment. My girl is very curious and to this day, if I open up a closet or cabinet (like under the sink) she likes to run inside and "inspect". I sometimes wonder if she thinks I'm hiding something from her and she doesn't trust me, lol.

Just give her some time, things will come together. Don't overwhelm her. Let her come to you and when she does, be calm but positive and give her lovin's in a way that she likes. Some cats like head scratchings. My girl likes belly rubs for some reason (most cats don't). She will come around. Just let her explore and don't try to limit or control it, outside of obvious safety concerns (like going outside) but otherwise, she will be fine.

did the head-butting gesture, and kneading. I think (not sure) those gestures signal bonding.

Absolutely those are great signs of bonding, those are two of the biggest ways a cat signals trust and love. Also looking at you then giving you slow blinks, give a slow blink back then look away or down and close your eyes for a moment. It's a form of a kiss so to speak, an "I trust you enough to show you that I can close my eyes around you and I know you won't hurt me." But the head-butting and kneading, those are definite signs she's bonding with the humans in her new home.

You guys are on the right path. She sounds like a lovely one and I wish you and your new family member all the best.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived