Hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I am 20 years old and I only have 3 semesters left in college. I am currently home for the summer but will go back in the Fall. I am semi reliant on my parents financial help but I think it is time to leave them. They want me to follow their life plan and do what they want. My mother constantly reminds me of how I am a failure to her but still wants me around to help run our family farm (Texas boy lol). She still threatens to beat me or hit me if I don't do what she wants. She hasn't yet but I am afraid that I will snap if she does and seriously hurt her or someone else. She has done the most for me but her constant verbal abuse makes me hate it here and I want to leave her forever. The only problem is, I am very close to my grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins.

I have a girlfriend who I know that I will eventually marry and start a life with. I receive more emotional support from her than I ever have from my parents. She went through something similar with her father and doesn't want to see me do the same but knows that if I have to leave, she will support it.

My question is- What's the best way to leave my parents because they have become so poisonous to my happiness and are caught up in themselves and what they can gain? Is there any way to discuss this problem even though they refuse work through any problems?

Archived