My boyfriend moved in with his dog, but my landlord now doesn't want dogs inside

BecxyRex

Hi all, I'd like some advice on this situation I'm currently in, regarding my boyfriend's dog. My boyfriend (of about a year) recently moved into my house. He spent almost all of his time at my place anyway, and we figured it would be beneficial to just move in together, and save some money on rent. It's great and we love living together. Here's the issue: my boyfriend has a semi-large dog (shepherd mix), who now lives in my house, as well. She's a very friendly, easy dog. She's 12 and very laid back, so not at all a difficult pet. While my lease doesn't specify "no pets", I did hear from my friends (who used to live in my house until they moved away, and I took over their lease) that my landlord does not like dogs inside. His reasoning is that the claws will scratch the wooden floors. Knowing this, I feel myself in a bit of a pickle. On the one hand, I could tell him my boyfriend wants to move in and ask to make an exception about the dog. I'd offer to pay any sort of pet deposit, but if he insists it's not possible, I'd feel uncomfortable sneaking the dog in and out every day.

My second option would be to keep it a secret, sort of like we have been, but that's increasingly difficult, and making me uncomfortable. He lives in the neighborhood and may walk by, or do repairs at any time. It's hard to miss the dog looking out of the window. I can't move out now, as my lease is still effective for a year. In all honesty, I also don't want to leave, since I love my place and the location. Finding something like it will be difficult, since it's very affordable for the area I live in. What should I do? Just be honest to my landlord and see where that takes me? What if he says no? Can he even do this, if it's not in the lease? I'd love any advice on this.

Get a pet deposit from your bf, so if there is an issue it will be covered.. And make sure he is responsible for the dogs behaviors and promptly makes any repairs, clean-ups,etc. Does it specifically say in writing "no pets" in the lease? if so you're putting yourself and your bf in jeopardy of being evicted.

The other issues is inviting a live-in guest who's not on the lease. You may have to pay extra for a second tenant and a pet if the landlord is even open to this.

my landlord does not like dogs in the place. I can't move out now, as my lease is still effective for a year. Can he even do this, if it's not in the lease?

Laws vary on whether you're entitled to a pet if the lease is silent on it. I'd call and ask. If he says no, just wait to move in with your boyfriend until you both can find a place together that allows dogs. Being that you two haven't even been together a full year yet, that's probably the better solution for a number of reasons.

Check on tenant and landlord laws. If it isn't specified in your lease, I can hardly think he has a leg to stand on if he were to refuse.

You could then call him and say something like "My boyfriend is interested in moving in with me and has a 12 year old dog. I would be happy to pay a pet deposit for her, since pets are not specified in the lease".

He will likely want to run a background check on your boyfriend, since his name will be added to the lease.

Expect a rent raise next year.

Unless I'm reading this incorrectly, it appears your boyfriend and his dog have already moved in? I'm not sure if you can work out a pet deposit with the landlord, but I would have got permission in writing first.

In any event, what does it say in your lease in regards to subletting your apartment? At the very least, I'm sure you need permission, as well as an increase in rent. Be careful, as this can be a slippery slope when renting.

Get a pet deposit from your bf, so if there is an issue it will be covered.. And make sure he is responsible for the dogs behaviors and promptly makes any repairs, clean-ups,etc. Does it specifically say in writing "no pets" in the lease?

It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs. It's the reason I've been hesitant to ask him, but it sounds like that's my only option.

Honestly, you need to talk to him sooner rather than later, because I imagine he won't look very favourably on you moving people in without consulting him first, which will make it even less likely for you to get a yes in regards to the dog.

I'll talk to him soon about this, thanks for your advice. So far he doesn't know my boyfriend's been living there and there's no way to prove he's not just a guest. I know what you mean though. I don't want to get caught with a dog inside, that's why I'll have to bring it up.

Agree it's best to come forward and negotiate something with regard to your bf and his dog being there. Who knows maybe the landlord will just increase the rent or deposit. It's much better than him finding out.

It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs.
It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs. It's the reason I've been hesitant to ask him, but it sounds like that's my only option.

Usually landlords only mention pets if they allow them. If you didn't have a pet when you moved in, there was no reason to sign anything about pets. I would consider having the boyfriend move to the pet friendly place he used to live instead of having the dog cruelly kept outside in the heat and snow )or to potentially be stolen)

I'll talk to him soon about this, thanks for your advice. So far he doesn't know my boyfriend's been living there and there's no way to prove he's not just a guest. .

That's not really going to fly with a LL who realises you're stiffing him on rent. If he doesn't want dogs, he won't want human's he hasn't agreed to either. You need to get this sorted asap.

Does your landlord think he is renting to one person when he is actually renting to two people plus one dog? It makes a difference to wear and tear (and utilities if those are covered by the rent). Does your lease specify policy for adding people (or long-term visitors), even if it doesn't specify regarding pets?

Has your boyfriend resolve the financial issues that made you hesitate to let him move in?

Is he paying half the rent and utilities plus the costs of feeding and caring for the dog?

And finally, if your landlord requires a pet deposit (and possibly pet rent...my apartment charges pet rent), is your boyfriend able to pay both?

As others have said, you don't have the right to move your boyfriend in with you without your landlord's consent - let alone the dog. Think about it - if you were renting out a property, how would you feel if one of your tenants was allowing other people to live there, without you knowing anything about them or their history?

You don't say where you're based, but you really do need to find out what your rights and responsibilities are as a tenant. If possible, move your guy and his dog out again - then have that conversation with your landlord. Having two people in the property when he's only aware of one may void his insurance and cause all sorts of hassle. Most leases do mention subletting - which is effectively what you're doing - even if pets aren't mentioned.

I would also be concerned about not notifying the landlord that the boyfriend is a new tenant. He has a right to know who is living on his property. You're handling this in a very shady manner, which may not bode well in the end.

You can also offer to put down rugs.

my landlord does not like dogs inside. His reasoning is that the claws will scratch the wooden floors.

It's more than just that. Dogs can tear up the yard, shed everywhere (shepards are notorious shedders), have accidents in homes (and tenants not cleaning it up properly), or chew up carpet/wall molding/stair rails.

I went lease hunting for houses this past weekend after accepting a new career, and found that about 90% landlords DID NOT want tenants with pets. I have a 30 lb Corgi and it took me 3 weeks of speaking with multiple landlords/searching for a rental home in an area that has only ONE apartment complex in the entire region. Hell, my current landlord almost didn't accept my application because I had a dog, and that he had bad personal experiences with tenants with dogs that tore up his houses. I got extremely lucky with having a realtor who was also a dog owner of the same breed as mine, and managed to convince him that my dog is less likely to be destructive.

But yea, that is the reality with landlords and pets- it's hard to find a landlord who would be absolutely fine with bringing a dog onto the property because of the destruction and liability.

Your boyfriend's dog maybe 12 and not as high energy, but its still a big dog. Majority of landlords DO NOT want dogs that are over 25lbs. Plus the older the dog is - sorry - the more chances he'll have accidents in the house.

Oh will be taking a huge risk of being evicted by keeping the dog on the property AND moving in your boyfriend without telling your landlord. When I was living in an apartment, I had a neighbor move his mother and Jack Russell in without telling the LL... The LL found out and she evicted them within 30 days. if you are planning to rent property in the future or move in with your boyfriend, you want to stay on the current landlord's good side so he can positive references to future landlords. Don't screw this one up- it's not worth it.

It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs.

Right, but when you signed a contract with him, did he ask if you had pets at all? Or did you tell him you didn't have any pets on your application and he didn't bother going into detail with it? Because I'm willing to bet if you did have a pet prior to moving, he would reject your leasing application.

You still need to talk to him to cover your ass.

Archived