Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My boyfriend moved in with his dog, but my landlord now doesn't want dogs inside

Agree it's best to come forward and negotiate something with regard to your bf and his dog being there. Who knows maybe the landlord will just increase the rent or deposit. It's much better than him finding out.
    Originally Posted by BecxyRex
    It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs.

Platinum Member
    It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs. It's the reason I've been hesitant to ask him, but it sounds like that's my only option.
    Usually landlords only mention pets if they allow them. If you didn't have a pet when you moved in, there was no reason to sign anything about pets. I would consider having the boyfriend move to the pet friendly place he used to live instead of having the dog cruelly kept outside in the heat and snow )or to potentially be stolen)

I'll talk to him soon about this, thanks for your advice. So far he doesn't know my boyfriend's been living there and there's no way to prove he's not just a guest. .
    That's not really going to fly with a LL who realises you're stiffing him on rent. If he doesn't want dogs, he won't want human's he hasn't agreed to either. You need to get this sorted asap.

Does your landlord think he is renting to one person when he is actually renting to two people plus one dog? It makes a difference to wear and tear (and utilities if those are covered by the rent). Does your lease specify policy for adding people (or long-term visitors), even if it doesn't specify regarding pets?

Platinum Member
    Has your boyfriend resolve the financial issues that made you hesitate to let him move in?

Is he paying half the rent and utilities plus the costs of feeding and caring for the dog?

And finally, if your landlord requires a pet deposit (and possibly pet rent...my apartment charges pet rent), is your boyfriend able to pay both?

Ok this is pretty tricky. You should have talked to your LL before your BF moved in. Not just about the pet but about another person living there. Your LL might require him to sign a lease or not want another person there at all.

Platinum Member
    As others have said, you don't have the right to move your boyfriend in with you without your landlord's consent - let alone the dog. Think about it - if you were renting out a property, how would you feel if one of your tenants was allowing other people to live there, without you knowing anything about them or their history?

You don't say where you're based, but you really do need to find out what your rights and responsibilities are as a tenant. If possible, move your guy and his dog out again - then have that conversation with your landlord. Having two people in the property when he's only aware of one may void his insurance and cause all sorts of hassle. Most leases do mention subletting - which is effectively what you're doing - even if pets aren't mentioned.

Platinum Member
    I would also be concerned about not notifying the landlord that the boyfriend is a new tenant. He has a right to know who is living on his property. You're handling this in a very shady manner, which may not bode well in the end.

You can also offer to put down rugs.

my landlord does not like dogs inside. His reasoning is that the claws will scratch the wooden floors.
    It's more than just that. Dogs can tear up the yard, shed everywhere (shepards are notorious shedders), have accidents in homes (and tenants not cleaning it up properly), or chew up carpet/wall molding/stair rails.

I went lease hunting for houses this past weekend after accepting a new career, and found that about 90% landlords DID NOT want tenants with pets. I have a 30 lb Corgi and it took me 3 weeks of speaking with multiple landlords/searching for a rental home in an area that has only ONE apartment complex in the entire region. Hell, my current landlord almost didn't accept my application because I had a dog, and that he had bad personal experiences with tenants with dogs that tore up his houses. I got extremely lucky with having a realtor who was also a dog owner of the same breed as mine, and managed to convince him that my dog is less likely to be destructive.

But yea, that is the reality with landlords and pets- it's hard to find a landlord who would be absolutely fine with bringing a dog onto the property because of the destruction and liability.

Your boyfriend's dog maybe 12 and not as high energy, but its still a big dog. Majority of landlords DO NOT want dogs that are over 25lbs. Plus the older the dog is - sorry - the more chances he'll have accidents in the house.

Oh will be taking a huge risk of being evicted by keeping the dog on the property AND moving in your boyfriend without telling your landlord. When I was living in an apartment, I had a neighbor move his mother and Jack Russell in without telling the LL... The LL found out and she evicted them within 30 days. if you are planning to rent property in the future or move in with your boyfriend, you want to stay on the current landlord's good side so he can positive references to future landlords. Don't screw this one up- it's not worth it.

It doesn't say anything on the lease about pets, that's why I was surprised to hear my landlord doesn't allow dogs.
    Right, but when you signed a contract with him, did he ask if you had pets at all? Or did you tell him you didn't have any pets on your application and he didn't bother going into detail with it? Because I'm willing to bet if you did have a pet prior to moving, he would reject your leasing application.

You still need to talk to him to cover your ass.
    Last edited by Snny; 06-08-2016 at 07:19 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Give Advice
Ask For Advice