Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have to get rid of my cat of 9 years :(

Silver Member
    Originally Posted by Lotusavx
    I'm so sad...today the day that I am moving has finally come. My ex ended our live in relationship 1 month ago. My cat who I love so much and have had for 9 years came to live with us after I moved out and in with him. We both love her so much, but neither of us where we are living can take her! I am living with my mom who is terribly allergic and he is back with his parents for a while, who is also allergic and has no room. I have to give her up to someone and I'm just so sad. I can't even look at her. Moving and a break up is hard enough now I have to go through loosing my cat does anyone have some advice?
    I haven't read the entire thread....but--sometimes veterinary offices will try to place an animal for adoption. Some places will keep them if you pay fees. So sorry about your animal. Have you tried shelters that don't utilize euthanasia? Sometimes they'll foster the animal if you agree to pay for upkeep....best wishes!!!

Originally Posted by cupcake22
    So many people rehome their pets and it upsets me. You chose to have a pet, you need to take care of it no matter what. Find a friend or foster for a few months. DO NOT give it to a shelter, that's just cruel.
    Agreed. You adopt a pet, it should be for life. If circumstances change, then you take your pet into account the way you would your child.

Also, if you're moving today, why did you wait until now to figure this out?? So irresponsible.

Have to get rid of my cat of 9 years :(

she hasn't said she is going to bring the cat to the shelter. Her words were: 'to someone'. And who says she's only just taking care of it right now? She probably has made an arrangement already. She is just sad people and looking for some support.

Heather dawn.. obviously don't know the whole situation..but I still have my apartment until the end of the month and me and my ex are going to check the cat daily and be with her until we find her a home. I couldn't stay in the apartment any longer for many reasons, and this is the only week I can move since it conflicts with work. Please don't be so rude, you have no idea who is going through tough times.

Originally Posted by Heather Dawn
    Agreed. You adopt a pet, it should be for life. If circumstances change, then you take your pet into account the way you would your child.
    There is no way I take on having a pet unless I consider every possible circumstance and obstacle before doing so. If there is any chance (that I am aware of) that I can't keep the pet for it's life's duration, I just don't do it.
    Not to jump on the OP and make her feel worse than she already does. I think you should consider every possible option before turning that cat over to anyone.
    It's a responsibility.

My friend had to move across state and had two cats. She was really fortunate because one of her coworkers husband took an early disability/retirement and they welcomed her two little boy cats into a loving home.
    She was absolutely devastated having to give them up, but very grateful for the circumstances.
    It happens. Just keep at it until you figure out a way to either keep her or find the best possible home for her.

My moms elderly neighbor recently passed away. The daughter is allergic to cats and tried to rehome it. She ended up bringing `Angie' home with her and her cat hating husband and Angie are now inseparable! That and a little Claritin, Angie is one lucky cat. So are her new parents. No one is more surprised then they are.

Platinum Member
    Okay, possible places: get on the phone right now and find any and all:

a) no kill shelters
    b) foster pet parents in your area
    c) good friends or other family
    d) vets offices are sometimes a good resource for these too
    e) if you live in a military town find out if they have resources for soldiers that have to leave pets behind when they're deployed--sometimes they have the best resources
    f) take her with you, keep her in a separate room from your mom, continue to work on steps a through e until you find someone.

I'm not going to give you a hard time, because at least you didn't do the monstrous thing of simply leaving her at the side of the road. But those are your options. Never take her to the city animal control places or pounds. But do keep digging, because someone out there will want her, will take her.

I'm sorry you are having to leave her, that's so sad. My sympathies, but right now you need to get online and on the phone and literally not stop, call every place twice even. It takes persistence sometimes and worst-case scenario you take her with you to your mom's and you figure out a way to keep her separated until you can get her to another home.

Check this page and see if there are resources:

My cat would come with me, no matter what! 9 Years is a long time for just somebody else to take it. Your cat will be so upset and confused.

Platinum Member
    Keep looking for a place to live. There are tons of apartments that take cats but not dogs. If I had cats instead of dogs, I would have been able to take my pick on where to live. Even if you have to negotiate slightly more time where you are at, you really need to put on the adult pants and take responsibility for your cat. I am sorry the relationship is over - but if you both love the cat - one of you will step up and get a short term roomie situation with someone who owns a home or is cat friendly if you can't afford to be on your own. There are room for rent situations that will let you have a cat in the room. There could be pet sitters and foster rescues that you could call to see if they could refer you to someone who could take your cat for 30 days while you found cat friendly lodging or knew landlords that accepted cats.

I WILL never agree with people rehoming pets. How would you like it if someone did that to you? Just crazy cruel. No heart.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice