How to talk to a girl in the gym

Jaydunno

I frequently go to the gym and I have seen this one girl that I think she is pretty. It might be me but every time I turn she is looking at me or it's probably just me looking at her.

Is there any way to approach someone at the gym without sounding to direct or creep.

I tried yesterday but I literally did not know what to say or what to even do.

"hello.. I am _____________... how are you?" If she runs, probably a good thing. If she blushes and digs her big toe in the ground.. probably a good thing. Most times... your hello is returned and a conversation gets underway. Smile, take your leave. Tomorrow is another day.

Gyms are the worst place to ask a girl out, IMO. As a "gym rat," I don't want to be approached while I'm dripping with sweat and smelling awful. Many girls at bye gym are very self-conscious about that. I'm at the gym to get my workout down for the day and leave. I'm focused... Just don't want to be interrupted by anyone.

Now if you were taking a fitness class, it would be easier to strike up a conversation. But people who are doing individual workouts are not there to socialize.

You both have common interests so just ask her about her routine or for a spot. If the conversation flows ask for her number if not thank her for the spot and move on. I don't see women at my gym get approached often but when I do the two usually hit it off in my experience.

I know the gym is a place where people go workout. Trust me I go and I like to be in my zone. This is why I have never had the courage to try and talk to any girl in there.

It might be just me or just a coincidence but she seems to look when I look. I just don't know if I approach her will end up in an awkward situation.

Unless you're a 9 or 10 out of 10, I wouldn't suggest hitting women up at that gym, and even then...

Womens gyms and "gyms" like Planet Fitness are such a huge industry in part because a lot of women are turned off by the "muchisimo" atmosphere, which includes men trying to pick them up. Personally, if I've got enough time to scope out women and try to pick one up, I'm not working out hard enough. All that said, worst she can say is no. If your ego can handle the likely rejection, then simply introduce yourself as MasterPo suggested.

OP How would you talk to a man in the gym?

In the gym, an athlete has a goal. Male or female, it is about performance. It is a place where we walk around with our bodies showing, helping each other with equipment, learning techniques. Or staying in our zone on a treadmill, etc. The last thing I want to do is worry what you're thinking about when I am doing hamstring roll ups. In the gym, I am an athlete, and reasonably gender neutral.

To approach me in a male-female way is to remind me that you have seen what my body looks like in all kinds of ways and basically, as if it were naked.

I'd really rather not think about that. Its creepy.

"hello.. I am _____________... how are you?" If she runs, probably a good thing. If she blushes and digs her big toe in the ground.. probably a good thing. Most times... your hello is returned and a conversation gets underway. Smile, take your leave. Tomorrow is another day.

This is okay. In the sense that you have introduced yourself and disappeared. Some other day, I will say Hi XXX! and go about my business. Eventually, maybe I don't mind if you ask me out. I like knowing people in the gym as with other places I go on a regular basis. The fact that I introduce myself and continue to say hello doesn't mean anything further. Over time, the information as to whether I am single, interested, etc, will leak itself out. I will say, My BF and I... and if not, after we have days of saying hello and beginning to say one or two sentences, you can say - would you be interested in talking outside of the gym?

I am fully aware of how it looks to try to talk to someone in the gym. It is the reason that has kept me from doing it. I don't mean any disrespect nor do I be llooking at her body in any sexual way.

I really think she is pretty and I think we have looked at each other. I jsut don't know if its a good idea.

I think the gym is just like any other public place as far as talking to new people.

Sure it's a little weird if you're dripping sweat or totally out of breath (although personally I think it's even more of a compliment if guy finds me appealing when I feel like I look like a huge mess) so I'd say if you want to chat try to do it early in her routine. Just like anywhere else though if a guy come up to me and starts up a conversation about a plausible topic and I care to talk to him then I'll go with it. If anything about his approach seems off or creepy to me or I just plain don't care to talk to him, then I won't...no matter where I am.

Give it a shot if she has been checking you out and wants to chat, then she'll engage in the conversation. If not she won't. Simple as that. If you don't start with "Hey, you're hot." it won't be awkward later. Ask her about something you could ask anyone about her water bottle/fitness tracker/running shoes. Don't ask her to spot you.

Archived