LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Life as a nomad?

Silver Member
    I too want to run away. The world is so big and I don't want to stay in the same place anymore.

Sounds like a good idea for a few months anyway, or better yet for retirement. Then buy a big van or motor home and just go traveling around

Silver Member
    I hear you can make good money teaching English in South Korea, and decent money teaching in Taiwan. A lot of people do that for a year or two and then travel around Asia or another place with what they saved.

WWOOF and Help Exchange and Workaway are also good sites to find volunteer work, but some places charge a fee (and many don't). Whether they charge or not is often based on the region you go to and its economic level. You also have to be quite careful. I have used two of these sites, and did have a bad experience once with someone who could have easily hurt me if he wanted to.

Bronze Member
    Unfortunately you wonít be at the top of the hiring list for most language companies for teaching abroad since youíre from Central America. Not saying you shouldnít try, but the reality is that the majority of companies are looking for native English speakers.

On top of that, the majority of companies will choose American English speakers over British English or Australian English etc. So, unfortunately it will be much tougher for you since you are competing with many native English speaking people from the United States.

I wonder if there is a market for teaching Spanish abroad? If you can find a language company to teach Spanish instead, I bet you can have a higher chance of being hired since youíre a native Spanish speaker.

Itís good that everyone is warning you about how hard it is to live abroad and how some of those companies might be scams, and it could be true for some situations. But, on the other hand, those things never happened to me. Apply to companies and programs that are well known and reputable and you should have no problem.

Iím a female and lived abroad teaching English for several years in my 20s. Many of the language companies and teaching programs prefer to hire young people.The program I was part of actually cuts off the hiring age by 34 or 35. So, since youíre 38, it is much harder now in some cases with some companies.

I chose to teach in one of the safest countries in the world so I never worried about crime or assaults. I taught English in Japan for about four years when I was in my twenties. I went through a very well known and prestigious English teaching program, so I didnít have to worry about weird con-artist scams or anything. The teaching program paid for my flight to Japan(and back), they paid for hotels for career orientations. I was paid a generous salary, housing was provided, benefits and a pension plan were set up for me. Do note, this was the gold standard of teaching abroad programs though. Other teaching abroad programs arenít likely to provide all these things.

One of the great things about teaching abroad was it allowed me time to travel!! I traveled a lot all over Asia and Europe during those days. My favorite trip was actually a solo trip I took through Europe. I absolutely loved traveling through Europe.

Anyway, if you do it right, and find the right company, living abroad can be the most amazing and magical experience in your life. You will meet so many wonderful people! The best people I know and am close friends with to this day is from my days abroad. I never would have met them if I had just stayed in my hometown my whole life! I love them so much because they are completely open minded and free spirits like me.

Actually, Iíve noticed that globe-trotters are more open minded and enjoy embracing new things and challenges more often than compared to people who donít travel. People who donít travel tend to be close-minded, boring, and scared of anything that is out of their routine or their normal life. Nothing wrong with that I guess, but personally I just find that kind of life boring. Sure, itís safe and comfy, but hella boring.

In my opinion, if you can find a legit company or program, keep trying!! It doesnít even have to be teaching. I think there are things like travel to do farming in Australia, or sheep herding in Scotland, or whatever else. Iím sure you can find many fun programs out there with just a little research.

Also, itís not like you have to commit the rest of your life to living abroad in a weird new country. There are programs out there for 3 months or six months or one year. You can do short-term programs if youíre not quite ready for a whole year abroad. Heck, if you decide you hate it after only one week, guess what? You can quit and go home. I doubt you would do that though. Living abroad will no doubt open up your mind and world. I can tell you right now, there are LOADS of amazing experiences out there when it comes to life abroad and traveling!! Go get it!

Donít be one of those people with regrets at their deathbeds, wondering what if?

I know money is a big factor in your decision and definitely very important. My personal experience in making money while living and traveling abroad was teaching English, and itís a legit way to do it, but there are a lot of other options too. Here are some stuff Iíve heard of, but youíd have to do the research:

Travel Agent/Tour Guide/Cruise Ships:
    From my previous globe-trotters days, Iíve heard travel agents, tour guides, or even cruise ship crews get many chances to travel. I think there is even a cruise ship company that hires English teachers to teach English on the cruise ship while they travel the world? One of my former colleagues had tried applying to something like that back then. Not sure if thatís still around?

Remote Writing:
    Other possibilities, you could also get a remote job blogging, remote job travel blogging, or writing content creation stuff for marketing companies so that you can get some kind of income.

Exchange Programs:
    Iíve even heard of programs where you can exchange homes for a period of time with someone else in a different country. Like, theyíll come live at your home in your country, and you get to live at their home, in their country. I think there is even house-sitting opportunities. There are nanny opportunities...though I think those programs prefer younger people. But hey, maybe you can find a nanny job where the parents really want their children to learn Spanish?

Obviously with all the above suggestions, research and thoroughly vet each program and company to make sure they arenít scams. There is a lot of legit programs out there, so just be smart about it, prepare, do your research, and apply away!

Otherwise, you can always just save up money to live on for a few months of travel or living abroad? Iíve been back in the States for the last few years, but I actually plan on traveling and living abroad again for at least one year coming up in fall 2018. I enjoyed teaching back in my younger days, but Iím too impatient nowadays to deal with children and teenagers, lol, so no teaching for me this time. Instead for the past year or so Iíve just been saving up and saving up!! I will have more than enough by the time fall 2018 comes around to just go wherever I feel like going! Iím super excited! Itís a lot of hard work to save up for my upcoming year abroad, but itís worth it.

Gold Member
    I moved to Europe about 7 years ago and there are lots of opportunities....just make sure you compare living costs with salaries with something like numbeo...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Give Advice
Ask For Advice