Facebook share
LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Life as a nomad?

Right, Hadara. It's becoming clearer. Not nomadic after all, but Europe yes. I so love it that my native continent is seen as El Dorado lol.

The bad news is that we are awash with "English teachers" or "language teachers".
    Even worse news is that the so called academies over here (anyone can set up a languages academy) are all to often a real scam, in the sense that they draw students who are not aware that none of the staff is qualified, they charge students exorbitant fees, and severely underpay the "teachers". Qualified teachers would refuse to work for the pay these "academies" offer.
    So, it is important to keep that in mind.

Keep well away from any online so-called recruiting agencies. They'll ask you for money upfront and promise you a non-existent job.

You mention you are a teacher. In what subject(s)?

You truly need to do your research in-depth before attempting to spend a large chunk of money on an air-fare. And you would need enough money to live for a number of months while you try to source a job on the ground.

Just a thought, OP.

Volunteering might well prove a better springboard to eventually finding worthwhile work abroad.

Example:

As a female you need to be extremely careful. White slave trade, aka women being sold into sex slavery is very real and the way the creeps running that capture and transport women from country to country is through legitimate seeming job offers. So you travel willingly and all is perfectly above board when you are passing through customs and past all the security. Bad things happen later on arrival and you basically walk yourself into it without any clue until it's too late to run out.

Anyway, the above caution aside, there are legitimate groups, means and ways to couch surf when traveling. One such is servas.org - a very old organization where members are well vetted and basically it's couch surfing before couch surfing was a term. There are some rules and obligations towards your hosts. Not sure if they have a group in your country but even if they don't, you should reach out to them and see if you can join.

@Pixels: Yeah! It was mainly due to those blogs that I got really excited with the idea. But as you say, nothing is as it seems...maybe it was too good to be truth...
    That sucks... I would not like to end up cleaning car windows or begging for food...

@Hermes and @DancingFool: yeah, everything is clearer now. I don't want to be a nomad anymore. I want to travel and go and live on a different country. But thank you so much for telling me that about the job offers. That was the main reason why I had so many problems applying to a teaching in a foreign country job. I was too scared it may be a scam and I may end up as a sex slave. And yeah! I'll try with volunteering. It sounds like a great experience too!
    By the way, I'm a literature teacher.

Also, thank you so much everyone for your responses. Now everything is clearer for me and so I won't go into doing such a reckless thing hehe

Hadara.

This organization is bona fide, so you might like to check with them re work. They have 70 centres in four continents. The Instituto Cervantes.

@Hermes: Thank you so much! I will check it out

Bronze Member
    Money will definitely be an issue depending on where you live. Its more of a live off the land lifestyle vs traditional by nature

Google full time RV'ing

I know a woman who was a teacher in the US and she taught English as a 2nd language in many countries in Europe for many years. You could investigate that.

Platinum Member
    I really thought I would be stairing at a computer in a room for a job. Life though had other plans. I've traveled for the past 16 years. If you want to travel get a job that involves it. It doesn't cost you a dime. You actually get paid to do it. Once you see everything 20 times it gets old. You can get burnt out quick. Over all though I'm glad I did it. Good luck.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice