LinkedIn share
Google plus share
Twitter plus share
Give Advice
Ask For Advice
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Life as a nomad?

Life as a nomad?

Hi, well all my life I've always dreamed on traveling and leaving this country of mine which I hate so much; however, so far, I've never had the chance to. Lately I've been hearing many things about this kind of nomadic life and I got really interested on it. I like the adventurous part of it and I would like to try it out, however, I don't have that much money and just traveling to any destination gets really expensive, not to mention having to pay for a place to stay, food, medicine, etc. It concerns me, how do nomads do to get enough money to survive? Is it actually a good idea or should I think of some other way?
    Im a teacher and artist too so there are options such as teaching abroad or artists residency programs but I'm having a hard time applying to those and I feel like I'm getting nowhere...

So, what do you guys think of nomadic life? Is it a good idea?

This sounds more like being unhappy at home and fantasies of running away. What you are describing is being homeless, unless you have a lot of money saved for this in terms of travel, food and lodging expenses,etc. You can line up a job somewhere and go live there or you could get a job that entails a lot of traveling. Or sign up for a position that involves taking temp jobs in other locations.
    Originally Posted by HadaraNight
    this country of mine which I hate so much

Yes.

"Or sign up for a position that involves taking temp jobs in other locations."

OP. What do you mean you are having a hard time applying? And which countries or regions are you targetting.....

Platinum Member
    Get a tourist guide diploma and you will never be home.

Btw. Lets say you travel to europe as a teacher, in how many countries could you teach if you dont know the language?

OP. Which country or at least, what Continent are you in?

Silver Member
    Hi, well all my life I've always dreamed on traveling and leaving this country of mine which I hate so much; however, so far, I've never had the chance to. Lately I've been hearing many things about this kind of nomadic life and I got really interested on it. I like the adventurous part of it and I would like to try it out, however, I don't have that much money and just traveling to any destination gets really expensive, not to mention having to pay for a place to stay, food, medicine, etc. It concerns me, how do nomads do to get enough money to survive? Is it actually a good idea or should I think of some other way?
    Im a teacher and artist too so there are options such as teaching abroad or artists residency programs but I'm having a hard time applying to those and I feel like I'm getting nowhere...

So, what do you guys think of nomadic life? Is it a good idea?
    I'm right there with you!

^
    Me too! It's been a dream of mine for years. Finally got the job so i can do it, now trying to save up money. Teaching English abroad is always a good solution. You don't really need to know the country's language. Do your research, you can find tons of jobs. Oh, if you are a native speaker that is. Dunno how many jobs you can find as a non-native, but i am sure there are out there too. They usually give you a place to stay too.

So HadaraNight and cupcake22 let's do this! *whistling* On the road again *whistling*

@Wiseman2: yeah, I know it sounds like that because it's really like that. I don't like it where I'm living right now so I want to run away. I've tried to solve the problems at my house but since I've not been able to I have come to the conclusion I have no other resource but to leave... if I don't leave, I'm afraid I may be stuck here forever... if I don't die sooner...

@Hermes: I mean, it's confusing. I've been applying online but I don't know if many of those "speaking agencies" are frauds or not. I've been targeting different countries. My native language is Spanish and I speak English and a little bit of French; Italian and Portuguese are not hard for me either as I can understand many things they say because they are really similar to Spanish. I've applied to scholarships on different countries too but I've been rejected like three times already.
    By the way, I live in El Salvador, in Central America.

@Wolfshook: I know three languages so I could teach English or French in Spain or Spanish at France or Spanish and French at the UK. There are many options but I just don't know how to apply to a position as a teacher. I've tried with many speaking agencies but then I don't know if they are a fraud or not.

@cupcake22 and @Cope Alright! Let's do it! Let's go!

Some great tips in several posts about how to support yourself while being somewhere else.
    I want to run away.

There's been an explosion of blogs and articles about traveling the world on a minimal budget with a minimalist mentality.

It's true, there are hostels everywhere, plenty of friendly people, and anyone will throw you quarters for a song...

What they don't usually talk about are the actual inherent risks.

As a female traveling alone, you're at a very high risk most places you go whenever you need to depend on a stranger. More complicated is that women in this position often get emotionally involved in really sh**ty guys they meet, partly out of safety, and partly just out of lack of judgement (could be attributed to poor diet, exhaustion, desperation, etc) and find themselves stuck in a dependency cycle. Also, to be honest, it's not really the type of culture that typically attracts solid or well-rounded people.

It concerns me, how do nomads do to get enough money to survive?
    Typically they sit at stop-lights and try to clean windshields...

My honest opinion is that you're chasing a youthful and glorified homeless lifestyle...

Once you have yourself a solid financial base, travelling isn't actually that difficult if you're determined to make time for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Give Advice
Ask For Advice